The war, from a military officer prospective - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Haddixracing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
How did it implant in your head that the entire ME was after us? It will be interesting if you're real to hear this, it can be very educational. I just hope you're not trolling for sympathy by playing it like you suddenly woke up from a coma or something
No I meant BEFORE I thought they were all plotting to kill us. Now I realize they are NOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Haddixracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Be careful where you get your information. TV and radio are meant for manipulating intellectually lazy people. The internet is is full of information, but all of it has to be cross checked to "triangulate" in on what is believable. In most cases one of the perspectives that is worthwhile investigating is the perspective of the group of people we used to consider our allies in Europe. In general a consensus on US activities in Europe carries a little weight, and surely more than if you only read the French opinions or perspectives.

In America, unfortunately, the almighty dollar has poisoned the press. It was recognized in the US Constitution as part of the balance of power and granted special status with our Freedom of the Press. Today, the press/media is a business. They sell advertising and are given goals for sales like the rest of the entertainment shows. So, now TV news is entertainment and no longer a source of news. So, open up your options.

Jim
It's sad that there isn't a stipulation in the Constitution that says you have to print the truth. We shouldn't have to sift through everything to find the truth. I realize now that all media sources have their own agendas and you have to take in 50 different sides of the story to build a clear picture.
post #23 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Haddixracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy380SEC View Post
Do you truly believe we would not have gone to war if Gore was in office? Would the warcry by the US people been less if not fueled by misinformation of WMD propogated by the GOP?

Misinformation of WMD, is the whole problem. No American would have let a rouge nation posess WMDs, especially with the knowledge that the scuds had a good enough range to threaten allies. The vote on the Iraq war was 6-94 thats a landslide 'yea' and most far left wing Dems were for the war. So its hard to say WWAGD? and its a good point but you just said "misinformation propogated by the GOP" If someone lies to you and presents valid arguments and rallys behind them especially in the face of a tradgedy of epic proportions, how can you say no? Ultimately we were responsible for our security and WE blew it on 9/11. All the info that surfaced and then was swept under the rug leading up to 9/11 is disheartening at best. Long story short, its the dishonesty and mishandling leading up to the war that started the whole mess. I believe we would be at war regardless because the GOP had to fulfill its unfinished mission from Desert Storm/fox/SW/NW and were looking for any reason to go back in. I was in turkey for NW and on a daily basis they were flying missions that would obviously provoke any nation for a pretext to war.

Would staying out of war prevented the massive amount of foreclosure due to the overstretched housing industry and the predatory lending?

Well the housing industry inflated the cost of homes without any increases in wages. When I first started working minimum wage was $5.75. 12 later it's...$5.75 The average price of a home in Idaho was 100k the same type of home now sells for 200k min. So the price of homes doubled and wages increased single digit in those same 12 years.

I know exactly how the housing market bubble happened, and I have news for you its going to happen again if goverment doesnt step in.

When I decided to take advantage of the low price market, I saw first hand what fueled the problem. I told the broker my max was 300k. Well they pulled the "Well tell me what your really looking for" and of course what you really want and whats realistic. So before we looked at houses i needed a pre-approval letter. guess what? my GOOD (only good, not excellent) credit score and income had me pre-approved for $530k. Now your average person would have though WOW 530 we can get a 530k house no prob. I know I could get a 300k home and live okay, but 530k with PITI...HELL NO! But the realator was presistant and when we would look at homes I would test her honesty. she would take me to Range price homes that were listed at 320k but the actual was 320-370 and chances are they wouldn't accept less than 350 the difference between 320 and 370 is 300 a month. You can buy food from a grocery store for 2 people for the difference. So after we had an honest discussion and I threatened (and would have followed through) to look elsewhere. We found the perfect house but guess what... her cut was less...awwww. and the mortgage companies cut was less.. awww. The real estate market was greedy and didnt give two shits what your needs were, and I am so glad it has fucked the real estate industry. Maybe they will learn, but I doubt it.

Economic barometer (consumer confidence) in america was pretty poor after 9/11 and never really recovered and 2 years into the war it got worse no matter how many times bush 'missled' us into believing the economy was great. No matter how many times Wall street rallied, no matter how many record highs there were on futures and the Dow. Underneath people weren't confident, I mean the goverment just gave us money out of nowhere. Nope, no problem here, just need to give people more money, niothing to see here. 81,000 people are not spending the money they used to. Republicans like to think of the economy as a trickle down economy, well right now its a trickle up economy, us poor idiots not spending money on a bunch of worthless shit we dont need have finally made a dent in the bankers world little utopia they thought would be fine regardless of what us sub 200k earners did. I dont feel sorry for them and I dont think they should be bailed out by the federal government,

Long story short, consumer confidence would have been higher (the underlying economy, not wall street) had there been no 'unpopular' war. After the famous Bush/Mission accomplished speech on the carrier the war was a sucess but after troop increases and a yearlater when sectarian viloence was at its peak. people started thinking, heyyyyy... wait a second here, whats going on. when no WMDs were found people thought again heyyy wait hold on a sec. When 4 years had gone by and Osama Bin Laden hadnt been brought to justice they hung saddam to get our minds off that little fact but a year later still no bin laden and alot of bullshit excuses. People started finding out about the underlying sinister relationship between this administration and the bin ladens. Then when Bush was giving the security to our nations ports to an islamic country people started waking up to the bullshit around them.

If not, do you think that the government would have used more funding to aid said industry if we were not at war?

Well one things for sure, we would have more money to aid said industry. Given the current situation and the fact that the government already has provided aid to some powerhouse banks I would say YES. Now we dont have the money, thats apparent from the financial news this morning and we cant cut the FED ANYMORE!. 3-5 trillion dollars is missing from our budget..once again for absolutely fucking NOTHING

Name one thing the War has done for the american people that isn't hearsay.

Applause!
post #24 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixracing View Post
No I meant BEFORE I thought they were all plotting to kill us. Now I realize they are NOT.
When was before? Today? Yesterday? A week ago? Last month? Last year? We had these SOB lying to us before 9/11 and even more after that. Right here in BWOT we had heated discussions because one camp knew they were lies while another thought that Bush was God. The same sht you're saying right now would have labeled you unpatriotic by the likes of Jayhawk, bottomline, Multipurpose and would have subjected you to insults by paid posters like Boo and Co.
Right now I am having a hard time believing that you woke up from your stupor...
post #25 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Haddixracing

Quote:
When was before? Today? Yesterday? A week ago? Last month? Last year? We had these SOB lying to us before 9/11 and even more after that. Right here in BWOT we had heated discussions because one camp knew they were lies while another thought that Bush was God. The same sht you're saying right now would have labeled you unpatriotic by the likes of Jayhawk, bottomline, Multipurpose and would have subjected you to insults by paid posters like Boo and Co.
Right now I am having a hard time believing that you woke up from your stupor...

Honestly, after hearing all of the opinions of you and the other well informed and intelligent people on this board I began doing some soul-searching. Then last night I saw this Iranian girl on TV and she seemed so much like my sister that I nearly cried. It was like a lightbulb turned on in my head.
post #26 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Honestly, after hearing all of the opinions of you and the other well informed and intelligent people on this board I began doing some soul-searching. Then last night I saw this Iranian girl on TV and she seemed so much like my sister that I nearly cried. It was like a lightbulb turned on in my head.

I smell bullshit
post #27 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I smell bullshit
haha what was your first clue?
post #28 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Haddixracing

Quote:
I smell bullshit
I work at a sewer plant, that may be what you smell. But I assure you with all my heart I am serious. I have honestly had a change of heart. It's like I woke up from a bad dream.
post #29 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
And... I bet his S600 is just an S500
post #30 of 130 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I work at a sewer plant, that may be what you smell. But I assure you with all my heart I am serious. I have honestly had a change of heart. It's like I woke up from a bad dream.
Dude even our village imbecile, Jayhawk, knows the truth but he chooses to antagonize everyone because that's what they taught him at Harvard. As to the rest of the ignorant crowd (bottomfeeder, Multipoopies etc) they are either truly clueless, or want to save face, or simply they love it that our country is going down the tube because of lies, war crimes and total disregard to the needs of the American people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in