LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Barack is on Letterman tonight, btw. Announcing that Bill Clinton is going on the stump for him. Celebrity? Fight fire with fire I guess!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/wash...terman.html?hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Barack is on Letterman tonight, btw. Announcing that Bill Clinton is going on the stump for him. Celebrity? Fight fire with fire I guess!

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/wash...terman.html?hp
Thanks for the headsup.

I figure send Big Bad Bill after GI John and Hillary after Caribou Barbie. That should be worth a UN ambassadorship, SecState or Supreme Court Nomination if well executed.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #83 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
The Clintons could really redeem themselves at this point imho. They certainly know how to fight with fire. And they made a good start at the Convention, both of them.
post #84 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Lifetime Premium Member
Having just watched him, my two chief impressions: one, he gets tangled up in his own words in the fashion characteristic of a hyperintellectual who thinks far faster than he can speak; and two, he's better than we deserve.

Also: he's complimenting Sarah Palin, Rudy Giuliani, and George W. Bush. Too damn nice?

post #85 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Having just watched him, my two chief impressions: one, he gets tangled up in his own words in the fashion characteristic of a hyperintellectual who thinks far faster than he can speak; and two, he's better than we deserve.

Also: he's complimenting Sarah Palin, Rudy Giuliani, and George W. Bush. Too damn nice?

I do think he tends to be gracious when it is not necessary but I would rather see that instead of the rude behavior I see from the other side. Will class show? Hard to tell.

I tivo'ed the interview. Going to see it in a few. It is downloading onto the computer now.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #86 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Incentivized.
With free healthcare and the impending implosion into a smaller state, 1k/month suffices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You have to look at the context of the Great Depression and the 1930s to understand why SSA was implemented. There was no "money for savings". People did not have extra cash to put aside in those years. Many didn't even have indoor plumbing and passed down cloths from child to child [and that was the MIDDLE CLASS]. That ability to start saving came about with the institution of Savings Bonds [another Government Program] and the boom economy of the post WW2 era. Then, Government did NOT raise the rates on SSA for the very reasons you mention. They incented folks to save on their own and use SSA as a SUPPLEMENT. And that is how it is treated even today. Most folks would not even consider the $850-1200 monthly as a "retirement" but for some folks, especially those who only were making small wages for most of their lives, that is all they do have.

And remember, YOU contribute to SSA, it is not a government gift. It is not society providing for retirees, it is the retiree drawing from THEIR account. It is, in many ways, their savings account [a poor one, but a savings account nonetheless]
post #87 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Current bwot etiquette and convention require placement of quote markers when quoting
instead of italics.
Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
So do you assume that the student in Macon is always going to live in Macon? Might they not move to Atlanta and impact your life? Would you not want them to have basic skills and knowledge?

No I want students who are excellent and who are better educated than anybody else in the world. Not just have basic skills. Public education as we know it today (Sponsored by the federal government) is failing miserably. They take the lowest common denominator (read dumbest kid in the class) and make that the passing grade.

Last edited by mlfun; 09-10-2008 at 10:46 PM.
post #88 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Mccain was talking about the oil money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
I say we vote McCain/Palin in. Continue pissing off the world, and stop giving so much money to people who hate us. ....
post #89 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Well said. It is a pyramid pyramid scheme that was/is destined to topple.
At least SS has a set expenditure that can be budgeted for (ignoring the fact that they blew every penny they could on whatever the highest bidder wanted). Medicare/aid and now drug aid on the other hand, gets dished out anytime someone thinks they need a pill to cure their unsettled spirit and that includes the cost of advertising... I mean how you gonna know you need it if you don't know they can fix that. Half of these miracles turn out to kill you in 8 years or are a substitute for not eating poison. So there is now an incredibly large and profitable industry that gets to invent ways to bill the government as one of it's main lines. But all anybody cares about is whether we drill in AK vs FL and whether or not the other guy wants to give kindergartners condoms or leave them unprotected from the whims of pedophiles.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #90 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

Ha, Letterman said his head hurt when Obama entered into his foreign policy spiel..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in