post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixracing View Post
You think the world wants us to succeed?
yes
Quote:
I support it because HE was committing major crimes against humanity on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with a GOOD dictator.
Quote:
I don't support empire building tactics, but I cannot sit idly by and watch people be tortured by the people who are supposed to be leading them.
are you talking about our fearless leader here?

btw. dictators don't lead, they own.

in political asylum

Last edited by mzsmbs; 09-09-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I don't agree in trying to force democracy and my values on the rest of the world.

The reason I support going to war in Iraq was not just because it was a dictatorship. I support it because HE was committing major crimes against humanity on a daily basis. Nothing wrong with a GOOD dictator.
I think you're either a Gemini, or you're bipolar. Your first sentence is 100% incompatible with the rest of your post.
post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I am not concerned enough with it to do so. But thanks for the advice. What is the classification for a person who makes all of their political decisions based on a moral standard which was described in detail some 6000 years ago?

Maybe I should just call myself a Christian? Conservatives probably don't fall in the same category nearly as often as they used to.

I don't support empire building tactics, but I cannot sit idly by and watch people be tortured by the people who are supposed to be leading them.
I'm intrigued; what moral standard are you referring to having been authored 6,000 years ago? I mean, the Earth is only 6,000 years old, right?

I think you'll find no argument here that Christians and conservatives are not the same thing anymore, but probably not for the reasons you imagine.

*I* am a conservative. A real one. Either you have a lot of back-peddling to do, but quick, or you need to get the hell out of my Republican party. You have NO IDEA, it would appear, what conservatism is...you just went with whatever party wasn't being talked about badly by Rush Limbaugh or some other entertaining politico.
post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I am not concerned enough with it to do so. But thanks for the advice. What is the classification for a person who makes all of their political decisions based on a moral standard which was described in detail some 6000 years ago?

Maybe I should just call myself a Christian? Conservatives probably don't fall in the same category nearly as often as they used to.

If you call yourself Christian, which is not a bad thing, you cannot also be for war and the associated killing. That also rules out the Death Penalty [sorry Q].

What you need to realize is that Jesus was NOT the reason for the existence of this country. FREEDOM of Religion was ONE of the reasons but that was not a tenant of the establishment of the country.

Your comments on being conservative are contradicted by several things. First, you support the nation building of going into Iraq, and willing to go into other nations to convert them to "our" way of life. Second, you seem very willing to spend money to do so, clearly in conflict of conservative principles.

I would be willing to bet that you support the policies of George Bush. If so, that would take you further from conservative than you can imagine. That NeoConservative philosophy, supported by evangelical Christians is not Republican, nor is it Conservative. It is very Tax, Borrow and Spend, Nation Building Social Conservative Liberalism.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Haddix, You will find that it is rough in here but you will both learn and enjoy the company. The group here is very smart, very diverse and very much on top of many of the world events at a level that most people can't imagine.

If you feel you are being shot at by all sides, it does get better.

Or maybe you just learn to duck quicker.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #46 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Haddixracing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I'm intrigued; what moral standard are you referring to having been authored 6,000 years ago? I mean, the Earth is only 6,000 years old, right?

I think you'll find no argument here that Christians and conservatives are not the same thing anymore, but probably not for the reasons you imagine.

*I* am a conservative. A real one. Either you have a lot of back-peddling to do, but quick, or you need to get the hell out of my Republican party. You have NO IDEA, it would appear, what conservatism is...you just went with whatever party wasn't being talked about badly by Rush Limbaugh or some other entertaining politico.
I am talking to the moral standard authored in the Ten Commandments around 6000 years ago, but maybe its 5000. I don't care about such trivial details.

Maybe I have no idea what a conservative is. I know that Palin is anti-abortion and that's the biggest thing I vote for. Economics doesn't matter. Killing babies is murder. I know that McCain isn't anti-abortion but at least his party tends to be more anti-abortion so he's the lesser of two evils.

I was always told a conservative likes to keep things the way they are. Liberals like to change them. Conservative like government to stay out of business. Liberals think government should provide more economic assistance.

I guess I am getting old enough now that I should take the time to do a little research on what the two mean. Perhaps I should educate myself more on alot of things.
post #47 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Haddixracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Haddix, You will find that it is rough in here but you will both learn and enjoy the company. The group here is very smart, very diverse and very much on top of many of the world events at a level that most people can't imagine.

If you feel you are being shot at by all sides, it does get better.

Or maybe you just learn to duck quicker.
Hey I thrive on this type of conversation. I learned more in the last hour on here than I hae in a long time. There is a ton of knowledge on this board.

maybe I am not a classical conservative. I really don't know enough to say. I just know what I stand for and I try to pick the guy who matches up the closest to my ideas.
post #48 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting.

John Kerry was supported by the world. And we know what happened.
post #49 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Haddixracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
If you call yourself Christian, which is not a bad thing, you cannot also be for war and the associated killing. That also rules out the Death Penalty [sorry Q].

What you need to realize is that Jesus was NOT the reason for the existence of this country. FREEDOM of Religion was ONE of the reasons but that was not a tenant of the establishment of the country.

Your comments on being conservative are contradicted by several things. First, you support the nation building of going into Iraq, and willing to go into other nations to convert them to "our" way of life. Second, you seem very willing to spend money to do so, clearly in conflict of conservative principles.

I would be willing to bet that you support the policies of George Bush. If so, that would take you further from conservative than you can imagine. That NeoConservative philosophy, supported by evangelical Christians is not Republican, nor is it Conservative. It is very Tax, Borrow and Spend, Nation Building Social Conservative Liberalism.
I am not an evangelical christian. I am also not catholic. I am more of a read the bible and do what I think it means christian. It says STUDY to show thyself approved. The bible supports war all throughout the old testament. And Jesus said he didn't come to do away with the old law, but to fullfil it, so the old testament is still important.

I am morally conservative, I think that things like abortion, adultery, homosexuality are sins. I am fiscally liberal on a global scale, as far as strengthening our military. I am fiscally conservative on a local scale. I say end ALL social wellfare programs.
post #50 of 105 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Hey I thrive on this type of conversation. I learned more in the last hour on here than I hae in a long time. There is a ton of knowledge on this board.

maybe I am not a classical conservative. I really don't know enough to say. I just know what I stand for and I try to pick the guy who matches up the closest to my ideas.
Well, it won't be me but that's ok. We all mostly get along here.

There are about twenty really good posters, on both sides of the wall that will help. If I might suggest, just keep a VERY OPEN MIND. You might just find that you will grow exponentially in the process. The discussion here covers everything from Energy to Buddhism to Evangelicals to ProLife to some very hard core Economics and Foreign Policy. We also have some very fun threads.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in