post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Obama may have blown it

I think it is becoming more and more apparent that Obama made a serious political error in not picking Hillary Clinton as his running mate, the thing the majority of the people in his party wished him to do. Biden is a fine man, but I cannot help but agree with the political assessment of this man:

Commentary: Obama wrong to spurn Hillary, pick Biden - CNN.com

Obama missed a chance to unite his party, solidify his base, and merge his campaign into one of the most effective political organizations in US history. Instead he left a political opening for a man who is a deft and experienced politician to fracture his base and gain momentum at the close of the election, and I think at the heart of this error may be a sin of pride on Obama's part, and we all know what the old saying is about that.

Each campaign seems to have it's one moment - Kerry in not responding immediately to the Swift Boat Smears is last time's example, Obama not choosing Hillary will probably go down as his. Time is growing short, I hope Obama can figure some way to pull it out, and I hope that if he does win, McCain changes from his current new personna, which I think is in the cards, because the person he really wanted for VP was Liebermann.

While I am extremely disappointed in McCain in so many ways, especially the person he choose as VP (which may become the key to his undoing) , he deserves credit for this brilliant move - he rolled with the punches, took life as life was offered to him, and chose an effective strategy for dealing with it. It is easy to see how he survived his time as a POW, it is those kinds of qualities that makes him what he is - a survivor, and perhaps, a great leader.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 09-08-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In that case, he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.........
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
I think it is becoming more and more apparent that Obama made a serious political error in not picking Hillary Clinton as his running mate, the thing the majority of the people in his party wished him to do. Biden is a fine man, but I cannot help but agree with the political assessment of this man:

Commentary: Obama wrong to spurn Hillary, pick Biden - CNN.com

Obama missed a chance to unite his party, solidify his base, and merge his campaign into one of the most effective political organizations in US history. Instead he left a political opening for a man who is a deft and experience politician to fracture his base and gain momentum at the close of the election, and I think at the heart of this error may be a sin of pride on Obama's part, and we all know what the old saying is about that.

Each campaign seems to have it's one moment - Kerry in not responding immediately to the Swift Boat Smears is last time's example, Obama not choosing Hillary will probably go down as his. Time is growing short, I hope Obama can figure some way to pull it out, and I hope that if he does win, McCain changes from his current new personna, which I think is in the cards, because the person he really wanted for VP was Liebermann. While I am extremely disappointed in McCain in so many ways, especially the person he choose (which may become the key to his undoing) , he deserves credit for this brilliant move - he rolled with the punches, took the life as life was offered to him, and chose an effective strategy for dealing with it. It is easy to see how he survived his time as a POW, it is those kinds of qualities that makes him what he is - a survivor.

This is one of your post which I have to fully disagree with. BHO would have faced bigger challenges if he would have picked Hillary. Granted there are a large amount of people that would have loved that ticket, and it may have been the key to winning, but I do know that he would have had to face bigger opposition from the American public. I started out as a Hillary supporter even though I didn't like all her views and some of the things she's done. I believe that the debates are going to be a true testament to who made what kind of correct choice. I said this to a friend as of late, you can tell this election has taken a heavy toll on Obama. I hope he can bring back the fire in his eyes through out the debate. Its going to be that fire that will further his numbers and win him the seat.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

BTW, that was a good article.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
I honestly don't know much about Biden, but is it possible that he's playing possum here? Damning Palin with faint praise? He's been the one saying what a great speech she gave and how debating and witty repartee isn't is bag, baby. Could he be wise and patient enough to let her have her moment in the sun and allow the expectation of a Biden ass-kicking build and build, only to come out and debate her to a stalemate? Or even better, defeat her? Everyone expects Palin to win this thing, so by winning it she only meets expectations. By debating to a draw (or worse, losing) she fails to meet expectations and looks like a failure as a result. Biden, on the other hand, looks like a bit of a hero for rising to the occasion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden is about to teach Palin a little lesson on how politics happens at this level.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
I honestly don't know much about Biden, but is it possible that he's playing possum here? Damning Palin with faint praise? He's been the one saying what a great speech she gave and how debating and witty repartee isn't is bag, baby. Could he be wise and patient enough to let her have her moment in the sun and allow the expectation of a Biden ass-kicking build and build, only to come out and debate her to a stalemate? Or even better, defeat her? Everyone expects Palin to win this thing, so by winning it she only meets expectations. By debating to a draw (or worse, losing) she fails to meet expectations and looks like a failure as a result. Biden, on the other hand, looks like a bit of a hero for rising to the occasion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden is about to teach Palin a little lesson on how politics happens at this level.

yes sir.........exactly the type of move any smart person will do.

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
I don't know that he blew it. I think he actually made a decision for VP that was based on running the country, not trying to get elected.

And THAT is the difference that needs to be cleared up. Palin was a choice [sorry] to win an election, not the best person for the job.

If Obama had picked Hillary he would have had much baggage to go along with it. While the Democratic voter block would have been more solidified, the Republican campaign machine was already geared up to bring up every Bill/Hillary event since Yale [thank goodness they wouldn't get personal with things like Monica or accuse someone of being a lesbian]. Obama would also have to deal with the 600 pound gorilla in Bill both during the election season providing election "advice" and with a win, as part of the Obama/Clinton/Clinton team. That kind of baggage is not conducive to a good strategic choice.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FTL, what happened to "Obama is unstoppable"?

in political asylum
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post

Biden has played in the bigs for 35 years, being in national debates for a couple of decades. Palin went from Class A to the bigs in the past week, not based on her fast ball but her ability to draw fans to the stadium.

My guess is the Republicans are going to require strict rules to any debate structure. If it goes to free form, she doesn't have a chance. All he has to do is move to Foreign Policy, National Security, Intelligence, Budget Deficits, Alternative Energy and she is out of bullets [maybe she used them moose hunting].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
This is one of your post which I have to fully disagree with. BHO would have faced bigger challenges if he would have picked Hillary. Granted there are a large amount of people that would have loved that ticket, and it may have been the key to winning, but I do know that he would have had to face bigger opposition from the American public. I started out as a Hillary supporter even though I didn't like all her views and some of the things she's done. I believe that the debates are going to be a true testament to who made what kind of correct choice. I said this to a friend as of late, you can tell this election has taken a heavy toll on Obama. I hope he can bring back the fire in his eyes through out the debate. Its going to be that fire that will further his numbers and win him the seat.
I would have totally agreed with you just a few short weeks back, but I changed my views because of a short conversation. A female friend of mine, owns her own business, very,very conservative views for years spoke of Hillary in only the most derogatory terms. But by the end of the primary elections, she was at the point of switching over to the Democrats due to her new respect for Hillary as a woman who championed the cause of women. I think the votes of conservative women attracted to Hillary would have outweighed the right wing nut jobs, a faction dominated by white men, to the point she would have been an advantage.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in