LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mzsmbs View Post
yeah, the screenig was a joke but i didn't care for the new sniffing machines.
I used to go hiking with my camera case [which was a backpack] and, when in the mountains where there were packs of wild dogs, boar and the occasional feller who would get surprised when you found him and his weed patch in the backwoods I would have a 45 that tucked behind the backpack in the small of my back.

Imagine my surprise the first time I took that camera/computer pack through security and it got stopped for gunpowder/gun oil. TSA: "Do you carry a weapon in this pack?" Me: "Sometimes" TSA:"Why?" Me: "I am licensed to". TSA: "Why?" Me: "We need your supervisor - NOW"

That was all it took. Now I have a travel bag and a hiking bag.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TSA screening is a total joke. The bitch at the x-ray machine decided my tooth paste posed a threat so she threw it away. But...............................left me all the hotel shampoo and body lotion (five days worth of freebies) which accumulated amount had to exceed 3 ml that I squirreled away in my carry on. Oh, the tooth paste was in a clear plastic bag while the hotel stolen goods was concealed.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i put all that stuff in my check in bags. the last time i traveled home, TSA put a sticker on my bag and definitely someone opened it but it sure didn't look like they touched anything inside. i doubt anyone even looked at the knives i had in there.

in political asylum
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Haven't beat this drum in a while.

Report: Fake pass foiled MSP security

Wonder if Obama would be keen on 86'ing this stupid ass waste of our money.
Report: Fake pass foiled MSP security

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune
October 20, 2008

A first-class traveler was allowed through security with a fake Twin Cities-to-Washington, D.C., boarding pass for Northwest Airlines, no photo identification and wearing an Osama bin Laden T-shirt under his coat as part of a test of airport security in this post-9/11 world.

The security breach, assisted by longtime airport security critic Bruce Schneier, is outlined in a first-person account in the November issue of Atlantic magazine. The article was written to illustrate that the federal Transportation Security Administration "represents an egregious waste of tax dollars," author Jeffrey Goldberg wrote.

Goldberg added that he has circumvented security numerous times by "bringing bad things" through security at airports in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Chicago and Wilkes Barre/Scranton. Among the items he said he brought on flights: pocketknives, matches from hotels in Beirut, dust masks, nail clippers, an inflatable Arafat doll and box cutters.

Arriving at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport for Northwest flight 1714 to Reagan Airport just outside Washington, D.C., Goldberg began his real-life experiment standing in a bathroom, ripping up fake boarding passes and "waiting for the social network of male bathroom users to report my suspicious behavior." No one piped up, he said.

From there, he said, his mission was to "try to pass through security with no ID, a fake boarding pass, and an Osama bin Laden T-shirt under my coat."

He splashed water on his face "to mimic sweat" and wore a coat on a summer day.

With driver's license hidden, he approached security with his bogus boarding pass and told security that he had lost his ID but still hoped to board.

The security employee called for a supervisor.

"I can't find my driver's license," Goldberg said.

After showing the supervisor his fake boarding pass, Goldberg said, "I need to get to Washington quickly."

He was asked for more identification. Goldberg said he produced a credit card with his name on it, a library card, and a health-insurance card. "Nothing else?" the supervisor asked.

"No," Goldberg said.

"You should really travel with a second picture ID, you know."

"Yes, sir," Goldberg said.

"All right, you can go," he said. "But let this be a lesson for you."

Twin Cities airport spokesman Pat Hogan said today that he has read the article but declined to comment, saying, "The things that [Goldberg is] calling attention to are more appropriate for the TSA to address."

Kip Hawley, head of the Transportation Security Agency, was quoted in the Atlantic article as saying: "There are vulnerabilities everywhere, in everything. The question is not 'Is there a vulnerability?' It's 'What are you doing about it?' "
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: