Liberal Rag Nobody Reads Questions McCain's Qualifications - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
(Thread Starter)
Liberal Rag Nobody Reads Questions McCain's Qualifications

This pretty much nails it for me. If he's so much a 'maverick' why did he cow to the fringe when he really wanted Lieberman? I would have considered a McCain/Lieberman ticket, but not now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/op...ml?ref=opinion

Scott in MD/DC
85 TDT the "Blue Whale"
past: W124 wagon, W126, W202, W201, lotsa VDubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Because McCain is not calling the shots.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
His political calculus is being thrown off by his immersion in the far-right world of the RNC itself. There are so many religious crackpots running that operation, after a while McCain gets to thinking they are more important than what they are.

Elections in America are won by whoever swings the middle of the electorate, not the fringes. A McCain/Liebermann ticket meant he would have had to duke it out with those kooks at a convention he wants to be a coronation instead of a knife fight, so he passed on it and in the process looked gutless, but I was amazed he did not go for Bobby Jindal, the governor of LA. He blew it big time - Jindal, the VP pick would have been on TV every night shining it on in his very good performance in handling the latest hurricanen as he preened for the camera (which is what he has been doing all week), and he would be a Republican Brown Person looking like he could handle the top job, that pick and Jindal's great political skills could have stabbed Obama right in the guts. Liebermann would have brought in millions in the middle who dream of the two parties ending decades of bickering so we could finally get something done. How out of all that he ended up picking a far-right wing Coulterbot is incredible. The votes he loses on it are going to come out of the middle, and who ever he thinks he would gain was already going to vote for him. To be quite honest, as a hardcore Dem the Leibermann or Jindal would have been those that worried me the most. Instead he picked someone with a shitload of problems who has only been in politics a couple of years. There has got to be more to this than what is being said so far.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 09-03-2008 at 02:24 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Because McCain is not calling the shots.
He would have been the last person in the world I would have believed that of, but now I am not so sure. Who do you think is? My guess is Dobson and Robertson, who could threaten to keep the church goers from voting for him by denouncing him as a fornicator or something.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Q called this one accidentally. Ralph Reed [now 47] is running McCain's campaign on some levels and was one of Jack Abramoff's crew. I would imagine that with that group, Rove and Cheney are also in the pubes somewhere like a festering case of herpes.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
(Thread Starter)
I think the hand has been played that will reveal to all that Dobson and the Family Values Council are calling all the shots at the top of the party. Even my most synical self refused to believe this, but I guess it's true. Even Pawlenty was his SECOND choice fercrissakes. They overruled him and his closest folks not once, but twice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
McCain has convinced me he is dumber than Bush - apparently graduating at the bottom of your class at an Ivy League school is better than the Naval Academy. The point being Bush, as dumb as he is, at least never put one of these religious whack-o's in the White House, Bush just manipulated them, with Rove's guidance, for votes. I think Rove was astounded and with what has happened would have preferred Lieberman. McCain is really either senile or dumb as a rock. Jim
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 PM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Jim, am I smarter than gw?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
Hey Jim, am I smarter than gw?
Well, you make the answer much clearer after you drink a few beers. Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
He would have been the last person in the world I would have believed that of, but now I am not so sure. Who do you think is? My guess is Dobson and Robertson, who could threaten to keep the church goers from voting for him by denouncing him as a fornicator or something.

Maybe Dubbleya took a cue from Putins puppet government.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in