ICE: Nearly 600 detained in Mississippi plant raid - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Let's look at your post.

Sure they spend food and lodging money...that puts money directly into the revenue stream which fuels our infrastructure. Those Apartment owners pay property taxes, income taxes, utility and school taxes, all with those monthly checks.

Now do I need to provide a chain for the grocery store?

You also forget that they fake an ID, get paid through payroll which pays city taxes, school taxes, state taxes and federal taxes. They also pay social security. What the don't do is ask for their refunds at the end of the year on the tax returns they don't file. So ALL the taxes go to the coffers and to the SSA and that funds what? Yes, the infrastructure.

Effectively every penny spent is churned [counta dig] back into the economy and that funds everything.

Yes the Middle Class does fund a majority, because they make, on average the majority of the money but that does not mean that the folks making "just" $5.00-15.00 per hour are not also contributing to the system.

And yes, they have it better here than in Mexico, even living in crappy Section 8 apartments. Have you ever been to Mexico, and I don't mean the resort areas. I mean where people live.
I'd like a side order of conditional formatting, please.

I would have used countif but I suspect the reference is not EXCELent. From the Latin, perhaps...?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So why are you comfortable in strict enforcement for illegal aliens but not White House actions, or strict enforcement against the employers?
Look at my posts I have clearly stated that the employers should be punished. You go after both sides of the equation - deport the illegals and punish the companies that hire them. When I say punish the employers I do not mean a slap on the wrist while winking at them. You make them feel the pain so that they think seriously about similar actions in the future.

I have also advocated that our elected officials be held to a hire standard - whether they are in the White House, Congress, the Senate, or state or local gov't. You just need to set objective standards and avoid enforcement becomming 100% political.

Quote:
The problem most folks find that try to find people to work is that there are no longer plenty of "Americans" willing to work for the wages the consumer demands.
Part of the problem is that the illegals have lowered the wages for many of the jobs. So consumers that at one point were used to paying $25/hr for a plumber but now can find 30 illegals willing to do it for $15/hr it is tough to get get them to be willing to pay the old rate.

But this is not always the case. There are a number of companies and individual's that have lowered their prices to compete while a number of illegals have raised their prices.

Of course I often find that where this type of work is concerned you get what you pay for. The cheaper work is of lesser quality.

Quote:
Tell me what jobs formally held by college grads that are now being held by Illegal Immigrants?
I never stated college grads (although I can provide examples) I referenced HS and College students (although maybe not well) and people of that age. I knew college students and recent grads that started business like landscaping businesses. This is now an industry dominated by illegals. The same can be said about painting, moving, and construction. Don't think just because someone works with their hands that they do not have a college degree.

I am not arguing the point that the illegals are taking jobs from Doctors, Lawyers, IT workers, Teachers, etc.
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
There is no need to make an Economy 101 statement but since you did, a point of correction is in order ; the word economy has to be qualified with closed. For example, consider the funds sent abroad by illegals.

Besides, the statement is irrelevant because the illegals do not support everything even though they contribute to everything in the same way that dependents contribute to the family but only the head of the household can be said to support the family.

I am using your words so there can be no confusion of what I am referring to.
Health Care is one example where there is a signficantly higher consumption vs. contribution rate.

Education is a second example.
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 View Post
Health Care is one example where there is a signficantly higher consumption vs. contribution rate.

You got that right.

BTW education and health care comprises 60% of the Kali general budget.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 01:09 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
I'd like a side order of conditional formatting, please.

I would have used countif but I suspect the reference is not EXCELent. From the Latin, perhaps...?

Next thing you know you will want WYSISWYG, you get what the MODS give ya and be happy with it. Do you realize there are some posters in Africa that don't get have as much as you get here on BWOT........
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Next thing you know you will want WYSISWYG, you get what the MODS give ya and be happy with it. Do you realize there are some posters in Africa that don't get have as much as you get here on BWOT........
It stands to reason that illegal aliens are being evacuated from the gulf region as we type.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
It stands to reason that illegal aliens are being evacuated from the gulf region as we type.

And checked out in the same instance then deported as soon as the storm passes, after they have helped out with the cleanup if needed.........
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Finally, some sense from the appellate court.
However, notice the sense of entitlement shown by the illegal immigrant in the quote.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Undocumented students' college aid in jeopardy
A state appellate court has put a financial cloud over the future of tens of thousands of undocumented California college students, saying a state law that grants them the same heavily subsidized tuition rate that is given to resident students is in conflict with federal law.
In a ruling reached Monday, the state Court of Appeal reversed a lower court's decision that there were no substantial legal issues and sent the case back to the Yolo County Superior Court for trial.

"It has a huge impact," said Kris Kobach, an attorney for the plaintiffs and a law professor at the University Missouri at Kansas City. "This is going to bring a halt to the law that has been giving in-state tuition to illegal immigrants."

He said it is a big win for California taxpayers who have been subsidizing education for undocumented immigrants.
On Monday, three justices of the Third District Court of Appeal in Sacramento said that a 2001 state law, AB540, conflicts with federal law. The state law provides the benefit of in-state tuition to undocumented students while the federal law says an illegal immigrant cannot receive that benefit unless the same benefit is extended to all U.S. citizens without regard to California residency.
The CSU system does not track the number of illegal immigrant students. There are an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 students at the state's community colleges who receive the benefit. UC has about 1,600 students using the benefit.
"It's very shocking. It worries me," said Gesel, 25, a community college student who already works to afford to go to school part-time at West Valley College in Saratoga. "It would affect how many courses I take. I'm saving money now to go to a four-year school, but if I had to pay as an (out-of-state) student, I couldn't do it."

Gesel, who declined to give her last name because of her immigration status, has lived in California since she was 9 but is an undocumented immigrant from Mexico with no path to legal status under current immigration laws.

"We were raised in this country. Most of our life is here," she said.

Last edited by mlfun; 09-17-2008 at 01:54 AM.
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Always nice to see some common sense actually used in the legal system.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
You got that right.

BTW education and health care comprises 60% of the Kali general budget.
Since both Health Care and Education are drawn from the General Fund, the same fund that all revenue spools into, I believe those conclusions would be incorrect.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in