post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
The silver spoon speaketh.

Please use the word spake in this instance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I did consider it. It was not an easy choice. I ultimately decided speaketh was more in tune with Detroit metal. I don't recall why.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
I prefer the old English until I inevitably think of Lucas and then I get all pissed.
post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Makes you wanna grab a smoke, doesn't it?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Let's see, single family homes, yards, trees, fences, nice safe streets --> life of luxury, and one that was not earned by being anything other than societal parasites. Take a good long look at this, then tell me your alternative is not a life of luxury.

I have known folks who have lived in poverty in both types of housing and I don't have the impression that poverty really gives a crap what its GPS coordinates are. Those little 80 year old houses are open, full of rot, bugs, vermin and in run down neighborhoods with the same issues as the big developments. And I wouldn't go so far as to say "safe streets" on some of them. Some are very safe, just as some large 50-60s Era big box developments are. Others parallel.

And neither are conducive to getting a good job. As there tend not to be good jobs in the area and many of the folks don't have cars or can't afford gas.

I would rather the Government no pay a dime to these folks BUT, until there are circumstances that allow the market to absorb the workers back into the employment ranks, I would rather not see kids starve and people sell themselves to make food money and rent.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Most of the Section 8 Housing I have seen does not fall under any definition that would include "luxury". Most would be considered "it's just not a trailer, this time" housing. The single family stuff usually looks like the attached picture which in Knoxville. I know that street and it is not a very good area.

As for what they are doing to earn this retirement, those who are raising 3-8 kids are working their ass off just doing that.

Maybe on your next help thy neighbor trip you may want to pass out condoms, by the bucket.............
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Those hideous things are everywhere here. Hopefully, gas prices will continue to rise until they're exorcised from our roadways, along with their Hummer brethren.
Russian billionaire in talks to buy Hummer brand | Business | The Guardian
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
The section 8 program is a an alternative to the government building large low income apartment buildings that become eyesores and run-down very quickly. For reference, see Cabrini Green in Chicago. The Section 8 program is attractive because the rent is paid directly to the owner regularly and the owner is responsible for repairs and maintenance and the poor folks are dispersed around the city. But investors are subject to the same market rules as owner-occupants: if the value drops and one got in the deal with little nor cash flow from the rent, there is no incentive to stay to feed the alligator.

For you politicos, in Chicago, Tony Rezko was favored with laws passed with BHOs help so that Rezko could be paid enormous fees to build apartment buildings to house the poor. He then neglected the repairs and maintenance and left the tenants to live in their own squalor. He earned his developer fees and the buildings were shut down by the city.

Housing our poor is a difficult problem. Just what are we to do with the ones who didn't do their homework, didn't get to bed alone and early, got on the needle for fun, and thought a child would make their life enjoyable and learned that another child would increase their welfare income?
Typical lying right-wing bullshit. Rezko contributed to both Democrats and Republicans, of which Obama was one. I have never heard of any "laws" that were passed to favor Rezko, perhaps you can provide one as an example?

I have also searched this wiki article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Rezko

in vain for your claim he "left the tenants to live in their own squalor" or any reference to the buildings being shut down, in fact in reading it it looks more like he played middle man for kickbacks and had no land-lord role, and of course, even if he did, I don't see what the fuck that has to do with Obama. Of course, I would expect no less than false rumor and exaggeration from right wingers given the fact their main tactics against Obama consists of hoax emails, Swiftboat smear books, and false rumors as they try to make a political campaign out of supposed "links" to sixties bomb throwers and other events that happened when Barack was in grade school. More of the same from another supporter of McMoreOfTheSame.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 08-27-2008 at 07:42 AM.
post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
And another $1 million+ home goes to the bank. This is/was my closest neighbor, behind my home, perhaps half a city block distant. At least they didn't turn the power off on this one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearHouse 002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	197475  

post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 06:30 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
And another $1 million+ home goes to the bank. This is/was my closest neighbor, behind my home, perhaps half a city block distant. At least they didn't turn the power off on this one...
Why, are you stealing their electricity????

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in