LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Obama: McCain 'doesn't know what he's up against'...

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A combative Barack Obama said Tuesday that Republican John McCain "doesn't know what he's up against" in this election and challenged his rival to stop questioning his character and patriotism.

Obama, campaigning in a state where he hopes to become the first Democratic presidential candidate to win in more than three decades, implored his supporters to fight for the presidency.

"Our job in this election is not just 'win,' although I'm a big believer in winning," Obama said during the rally. "I don't intend to lose this election. John McCain doesn't know what he's up against."

"He can talk all he wants about Britney (Spears) and Paris (Hilton), but I don't have time for that mess," Obama said.

His remarks carried forward a theme of feisty campaigning he debuted earlier in the day.

Addressing the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in Orlando, Fla., Obama reaffirmed his early opposition to the U.S. invasion of Iraq and said the strategy of sending in 30,000 additional troops last year had not produced the political reconciliation necessary to achieve lasting peace in the country.

McCain supported the Iraq invasion and was an early champion of the surge.

"These are the judgments I've made and the policies that we have to debate, because we do have differences in this election," Obama told the veterans. "One of the things that we have to change in this country is the idea that people can't disagree without challenging each other's character and patriotism. I have never suggested that Sen. McCain picks his positions on national security based on politics or personal ambition. I have not suggested it because I believe that he genuinely wants to serve America's national interest. Now, it's time for him to acknowledge that I want to do the same.

"Let me be clear: I will let no one question my love of this country," Obama said to applause.

McCain stood before the same audience a day earlier and said Obama "tried to legislate failure" in the Iraq war and had put his ambition to be president above the interests of the United States. He said the Illinois senator did this by pushing for a timetable for withdrawal of U.S. combat troops from Iraq and by voting in the Senate against a major appropriations bill to help fund the troop increase.

Responding to Obama's comments, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said: "Barack Obama has made it clear that unconditional withdrawal in Iraq is more important to him than victory in Iraq. That's not a criticism of his patriotism, that's a criticism of his judgment."

A decorated Vietnam war veteran and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, Arizona Sen. McCain has sharply questioned whether the 47-year-old Obama has the experience and character necessary to serve as commander in chief.

McCain also has spoken out strongly against Russia's invasion of the former Soviet republic of Georgia, using Obama's absence from the campaign trail during a Hawaiian vacation last week to take a hard line against the Russian government. His tough talk led some of Obama's foreign policy advisers to suggest McCain may have complicated the conflict.

Obama strongly condemned Russia's actions Tuesday but said U.S. involvement in Iraq had imperiled its ability to take a leadership role in the matter.

"We failed to head off this conflict and lost leverage in our ability to contain it because our leaders have been distracted, our resources overstretched, and our alliances frayed," Obama said.

The Illinois senator also praised Joe Biden, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman thought to be among the top contenders to be Obama's running mate, for calling for an additional $1 billion for reconstruction projects in Georgia.

My Way News - Obama: McCain 'doesn't know what he's up against'

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
If folks have watched, there has been very little from the Obama camp directed at McCain. Everything has been policy or forward reaching. Obama has not gone into a hit back mode even though McCain has spent the past two months doing nothing but throwing things at Obama. Yet McCain has yet to reach above 44% in the majority of major polling. All the mud has not scored.

If we assume that the last sixty days will have the DNC going after McCain with equal zeal, pointing out everything from his bottom 5% in the Academy to his flip-flopping to his ties to Bush to ties to Lobbyists to the Keating5 to his history of outbursts in the Senate to his support of Iraq and his backing of Bush Economic policies, it is very possible that McCain "doesn't know what he is up against".

If the Clinton Campaign Machine rolls out for this campaign, that buzzsaw will leave him wishing he was losing to Bush in 2000 again [back when he was kinda quick on his feet].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Wasn't he an original Keating 5? They should tag him with that if really slinging mud, even after 25 years of living and breathing overseas, that moniker has always stuck in my mind of that whole unholy fiasco..........
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Wasn't he an original Keating 5? They should tag him with that if really slinging mud, even after 25 years of living and breathing overseas, that moniker has always stuck in my mind of that whole unholy fiasco..........
Three of the five got smacked down hard but he and John Glenn skated pretty well, many think because of their military and Hero status [Hero for Glenn]. McCain appeared to be the first to sever relations with the Lincoln Saving and Loan folks.

One example: McCain's wife Cindy McCain and her father Jim Hensley had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators. McCain, his family, and their baby-sitter had made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet. Three of the trips were made during vacations to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay.

Keating Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Yeah I watched a Fox News thing on him and Keating 5 just 2 days ago over here.

Cat Cay, folks bought a place down there in the late 70's..............I remember because as a 15/16 yr old I always elected to stay home and not make the trip with them and my siblings. While they were away, I stayed home and studied my school books every night.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
If folks have watched, there has been very little from the Obama camp directed at McCain. Everything has been policy or forward reaching. Obama has not gone into a hit back mode even though McCain has spent the past two months doing nothing but throwing things at Obama. Yet McCain has yet to reach above 44% in the majority of major polling. All the mud has not scored.

If we assume that the last sixty days will have the DNC going after McCain with equal zeal, pointing out everything from his bottom 5% in the Academy to his flip-flopping to his ties to Bush to ties to Lobbyists to the Keating5 to his history of outbursts in the Senate to his support of Iraq and his backing of Bush Economic policies, it is very possible that McCain "doesn't know what he is up against".

If the Clinton Campaign Machine rolls out for this campaign, that buzzsaw will leave him wishing he was losing to Bush in 2000 again [back when he was kinda quick on his feet].
I guess you missed todays Zogby poll results: McCain takes lead over Obama: poll | Reuters

Let me quote a bit from the article...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

The reversal follows a month of attacks by McCain, who has questioned Obama's experience, criticized his opposition to most new offshore oil drilling and mocked his overseas trip.

The poll was taken Thursday through Saturday as Obama wrapped up a weeklong vacation in Hawaii that ceded the political spotlight to McCain, who seized on Russia's invasion of Georgia to emphasize his foreign policy views.

"There is no doubt the campaign to discredit Obama is paying off for McCain right now," pollster John Zogby said. "This is a significant ebb for Obama."

McCain now has a 9-point edge, 49 percent to 40 percent, over Obama on the critical question of who would be the best manager of the economy -- an issue nearly half of voters said was their top concern in the November 4 presidential election.

That margin reversed Obama's 4-point edge last month on the economy over McCain, an Arizona senator and former Vietnam prisoner of war who has admitted a lack of economic expertise and shows far greater interest in foreign and military policy.

McCain has been on the offensive against Obama during the last month over energy concerns, with polls showing strong majorities supporting his call for an expansion of offshore oil drilling as gasoline prices hover near $4 a gallon.

Obama had opposed new offshore drilling, but said recently he would support a limited expansion as part of a comprehensive energy program.

That was one of several recent policy shifts for Obama, as he positions himself for the general election battle. But Zogby said the changes could be taking a toll on Obama's support, particularly among Democrats and self-described liberals.

"That hairline difference between nuance and what appears to be flip-flopping is hurting him with liberal voters," Zogby said.

Obama's support among Democrats fell 9 percentage points this month to 74 percent, while McCain has the backing of 81 percent of Republicans. Support for Obama, an Illinois senator, fell 12 percentage points among liberals, with 10 percent of liberals still undecided compared to 9 percent of conservatives.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I guess you missed todays Zogby poll results: McCain takes lead over Obama: poll | Reuters

Let me quote a bit from the article...
I read it this morning and as pointed out in other threads, it is a two day snapshot taken at the end of Obama's vacation when he did not campaign, press conference or run spots. It is interestingly the ONLY survey that places McCain ahead and STILL at just 46%, his highest numbers on any major poll.

McCain got a pop because Obama was on vacation. Next week Obama will get a pop due to the DNC convention and the next week McCain will get another pop. After that, it is a horse race.

Let's see just how McCain stands up if the DNC starts ads pointing out his flipflops, Keating5 experience, Economic policies and other traits. He has had a nice free ride SO FAR. Obama has nearly $125MILLION to spend on ADs this next 60 days if zero more dollars come in.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
You mean that "two week vacation" no one knew about?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
You mean that "two week vacation" no one knew about?
Apparently some people knew. And as I said, it was 10 days, suppose to be two weeks.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Apparently some people knew. And as I said, it was 10 days, suppose to be two weeks.
Oh...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in