Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Awwww, no shit?

So is the term, "Liberal". However, due to misuse and abuse of that word, few people will self-describe as liberal.
In other words I am as liberal as Botnst is a neocon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrym View Post
Congrats on a well thought out and erudite statement of your views. We are 100% opposed in our political beliefs, but I truly appreciate your (apparently well intentioned) desire to remain open to discussion and debate.

Having said that, using the word "Neocon" offends me in the same way that refering to your fellow social liberals as "Libertards" likely offends you. I think using such broad, sweeping statements to lump together all Republicans and Democrats takes away from the intent of your statement.

So there.
Why does NeoCon offend you? It is a legitimate term that defines the NeoConservative movement in America, brought to us by William Kristol, Jeanne Kirkpatrick and others in the late 1970s.

While Libtard, or Libertard is not now, nor ever been an abbreviated form of Liberal. It is a word that has always been used as an insult unlike Neocon which has always been a normal abbreviation of NeoConservative.

Now when I want to be insulting I write it this way: NeoCon [NewConfused].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
You have earned a class of exclusive distinction.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

And regarding GermanStar's write-in suggestion:

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^LOL Be a Ramp Tramp!

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: '04 E55, '03 E500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Why does NeoCon offend you? It is a legitimate term that defines the NeoConservative movement in America, brought to us by William Kristol, Jeanne Kirkpatrick and others in the late 1970s.

While Libtard, or Libertard is not now, nor ever been an abbreviated form of Liberal. It is a word that has always been used as an insult unlike Neocon which has always been a normal abbreviation of NeoConservative.

Because in practice, the term "Neocon" has been applied by social liberals (aka "far left") to pretty much everyone who voices an opinion that is anywhere to the "right" (another relative measure) of their own.

Much as the term "Zerox" has come to mean "copy", Neocon has now come to define "right wing christian conservative", at least if you follow the content that the mainstream media sources dish out...a definition of which I (and most Republicans) do not fit. Yet it is constantly used by MSM Liberals to refer to anyone, or anything, with an opinion to the right of their own. I have yet to hear of any conservative news source, reporter, or talk show host use the term in referring to their target audience.

You say potato, I say potatoe... and I did not sleep with that woman!

While I enjoy liberal bashing as much (or more) than the next guy, in this case I was just trying to point out what I saw as a minor flaw in an otherwise well done "Can't we all just get along?" essay.

TTFN-

Barry Mattingly

current toy list:
'03 E500 - now Wife's daily driver
'04 E55 - MY daily driver
'69 911 - vintage/SCCA GT2 racecar (owned 28 years )
'87 930T - for sale (owned 19 years!)
FFR Cobra - for fun
'05 Excursion V10 (toy puller)
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrym View Post
Because in practice, the term "Neocon" has been applied by social liberals (aka "far left") to pretty much everyone who voices an opinion that is anywhere to the "right" (another relative measure) of their own.

Much as the term "Zerox" has come to mean "copy", Neocon has now come to define "right wing christian conservative", at least if you follow the content that the mainstream media sources dish out...a definition of which I (and most Republicans) do not fit. Yet it is constantly used by MSM Liberals to refer to anyone, or anything, with an opinion to the right of their own. I have yet to hear of any conservative news source, reporter, or talk show host use the term in referring to their target audience.

You say potato, I say potatoe... and I did not sleep with that woman!

While I enjoy liberal bashing as much (or more) than the next guy, in this case I was just trying to point out what I saw as a minor flaw in an otherwise well done "Can't we all just get along?" essay.

TTFN-
um, if you line up with the right wing christian conservatives , you pretty much fit under the neocon umbrella. If you are a Bush diehard supporter, you pretty much fit under the neocon umbrella.

You might want to take a peak at who started using the term [hint, it wasn't liberals or that "mainstream media"]. It was Irving Kristol. He wrote a little article in 1979 called "Confessions of a True, Self-Confessed 'Neoconservative". The term is used by many conservatives including Bill Kristol and Fred Barnes, publishers of Weekly Standard. It they don't count as Conservative news sources, NOBODY does. They define the term and the associated philosophy.

Sounds to me like you just don't enjoy the focus that neocons are getting with all the errors Bushie has caused with Iraq, the Financial Sector, the Incredible Shrinking Dollar, the $5Trillion in National Debt he has run up, the massive Trade Imbalance or all the US jobs that have been offshored in the past 7 years.

Those decisions would bother me too if I had supported them.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
um, if you line up with the right wing christian conservatives , you pretty much fit under the neocon umbrella. If you are a Bush diehard supporter, you pretty much fit under the neocon umbrella.

You might want to take a peak at who started using the term [hint, it wasn't liberals or that "mainstream media"]. It was Irving Kristol. He wrote a little article in 1979 called "Confessions of a True, Self-Confessed 'Neoconservative". The term is used by many conservatives including Bill Kristol and Fred Barnes, publishers of Weekly Standard. It they don't count as Conservative news sources, NOBODY does. They define the term and the associated philosophy.

Sounds to me like you just don't enjoy the focus that neocons are getting with all the errors Bushie has caused with Iraq, the Financial Sector, the Incredible Shrinking Dollar, the $5Trillion in National Debt he has run up, the massive Trade Imbalance or all the US jobs that have been offshored in the past 7 years.

Those decisions would bother me too if I had supported them.
Kristol is a conservative Christian?

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 AM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Kristol is a conservative Christian?
He is a chosen one
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:

NeoLib is also a legitimate term that defines the NeoLiberal movement in America, brought to us by the likes of bear and GS!

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in