LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Uptick in McCain Coverage...Be Careful what you ask for.

Looks like the media is starting to provide some extra coverage to McCain. On CNN today, the coverage was 50/50.

But sometimes you should be careful of what you ask.

Commentary: Is McCain another George W. Bush?

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Russia invades Georgia and President Bush goes on vacation. Our president has spent one-third of his entire two terms in office either at Camp David, Maryland, or at Crawford, Texas, on vacation.

His time away from the Oval Office included the month leading up to 9/11, when there were signs Osama bin Laden was planning to attack America, and the time Hurricane Katrina destroyed the city of New Orleans.

Sen. John McCain takes weekends off and limits his campaign events to one a day. He made an exception for the religious forum on Saturday at Saddleback Church in Southern California.

I think he made a big mistake. When he was invited last spring to attend a discussion of the role of faith in his life with Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, at Messiah College in Pennsylvania, McCain didn't bother to show up. Now I know why.

It occurs to me that John McCain is as intellectually shallow as our current president. When asked what his Christian faith means to him, his answer was a one-liner. "It means I'm saved and forgiven." Great scholars have wrestled with the meaning of faith for centuries. McCain then retold a story we've all heard a hundred times about a guard in Vietnam drawing a cross in the sand.

Asked about his greatest moral failure, he cited his first marriage, which ended in divorce. While saying it was his greatest moral failing, he offered nothing in the way of explanation. Why not?

Throughout the evening, McCain chose to recite portions of his stump speech as answers to the questions he was being asked. Why? He has lived 71 years. Surely he has some thoughts on what it all means that go beyond canned answers culled from the same speech he delivers every day.

He was asked "if evil exists." His response was to repeat for the umpteenth time that Osama bin Laden is a bad man and he will pursue him to "the gates of hell." That was it.

He was asked to define rich. After trying to dodge the question -- his wife is worth a reported $100 million -- he finally said he thought an income of $5 million was rich.

One after another, McCain's answers were shallow, simplistic, and trite. He showed the same intellectual curiosity that George Bush has -- virtually none.

Where are John McCain's writings exploring the vexing moral issues of our time? Where are his position papers setting forth his careful consideration of foreign policy, the welfare state, education, America's moral responsibility in the world, etc., etc., etc.?

John McCain graduated 894th in a class of 899 at the Naval Academy at Annapolis. His father and grandfather were four star admirals in the Navy. Some have suggested that might have played a role in McCain being admitted. His academic record was awful. And it shows over and over again whenever McCain is called upon to think on his feet.

He no longer allows reporters unfettered access to him aboard the "Straight Talk Express" for a reason. He simply makes too many mistakes. Unless he's reciting talking points or reading from notes or a TelePrompTer, John McCain is lost. He can drop bon mots at a bowling alley or diner -- short glib responses that get a chuckle, but beyond that McCain gets in over his head very quickly.

I am sick and tired of the president of the United States embarrassing me. The world we live in is too complex to entrust it to someone else whose idea of intellectual curiosity and grasp of foreign policy issues is to tell us he can look into Vladimir Putin's eyes and see into his soul.

George Bush's record as a student, military man, businessman and leader of the free world is one of constant failure. And the part that troubles me most is he seems content with himself.

He will leave office with the country $10 trillion in debt, fighting two wars, our international reputation in shambles, our government cloaked in secrecy and suspicion that his entire presidency has been a litany of broken laws and promises, our citizens' faith in our own country ripped to shreds. Yet Bush goes bumbling along, grinning and spewing moronic one-liners, as though nobody understands what a colossal failure he has been.

I fear to the depth of my being that John McCain is just like him.

Commentary: Is McCain another George W. Bush? - CNN.com

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
^^^^^What you don't have cruise control on those E's? Samething............
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Looks like the media is starting to provide some extra coverage to McCain. On CNN today, the coverage was 50/50.

But sometimes you should be careful of what you ask.

Commentary: Is McCain another George W. Bush?

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Russia invades Georgia and President Bush goes on vacation. Our president has spent one-third of his entire two terms in office either at Camp David, Maryland, or at Crawford, Texas, on vacation.

His time away from the Oval Office included the month leading up to 9/11, when there were signs Osama bin Laden was planning to attack America, and the time Hurricane Katrina destroyed the city of New Orleans.

Sen. John McCain takes weekends off and limits his campaign events to one a day. He made an exception for the religious forum on Saturday at Saddleback Church in Southern California.

I think he made a big mistake. When he was invited last spring to attend a discussion of the role of faith in his life with Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, at Messiah College in Pennsylvania, McCain didn't bother to show up. Now I know why.

It occurs to me that John McCain is as intellectually shallow as our current president. When asked what his Christian faith means to him, his answer was a one-liner. "It means I'm saved and forgiven." Great scholars have wrestled with the meaning of faith for centuries. McCain then retold a story we've all heard a hundred times about a guard in Vietnam drawing a cross in the sand.

Asked about his greatest moral failure, he cited his first marriage, which ended in divorce. While saying it was his greatest moral failing, he offered nothing in the way of explanation. Why not?

Throughout the evening, McCain chose to recite portions of his stump speech as answers to the questions he was being asked. Why? He has lived 71 years. Surely he has some thoughts on what it all means that go beyond canned answers culled from the same speech he delivers every day.

He was asked "if evil exists." His response was to repeat for the umpteenth time that Osama bin Laden is a bad man and he will pursue him to "the gates of hell." That was it.

He was asked to define rich. After trying to dodge the question -- his wife is worth a reported $100 million -- he finally said he thought an income of $5 million was rich.

One after another, McCain's answers were shallow, simplistic, and trite. He showed the same intellectual curiosity that George Bush has -- virtually none.

Where are John McCain's writings exploring the vexing moral issues of our time? Where are his position papers setting forth his careful consideration of foreign policy, the welfare state, education, America's moral responsibility in the world, etc., etc., etc.?

John McCain graduated 894th in a class of 899 at the Naval Academy at Annapolis. His father and grandfather were four star admirals in the Navy. Some have suggested that might have played a role in McCain being admitted. His academic record was awful. And it shows over and over again whenever McCain is called upon to think on his feet.

He no longer allows reporters unfettered access to him aboard the "Straight Talk Express" for a reason. He simply makes too many mistakes. Unless he's reciting talking points or reading from notes or a TelePrompTer, John McCain is lost. He can drop bon mots at a bowling alley or diner -- short glib responses that get a chuckle, but beyond that McCain gets in over his head very quickly.

I am sick and tired of the president of the United States embarrassing me. The world we live in is too complex to entrust it to someone else whose idea of intellectual curiosity and grasp of foreign policy issues is to tell us he can look into Vladimir Putin's eyes and see into his soul.

George Bush's record as a student, military man, businessman and leader of the free world is one of constant failure. And the part that troubles me most is he seems content with himself.

He will leave office with the country $10 trillion in debt, fighting two wars, our international reputation in shambles, our government cloaked in secrecy and suspicion that his entire presidency has been a litany of broken laws and promises, our citizens' faith in our own country ripped to shreds. Yet Bush goes bumbling along, grinning and spewing moronic one-liners, as though nobody understands what a colossal failure he has been.

I fear to the depth of my being that John McCain is just like him.

Commentary: Is McCain another George W. Bush? - CNN.com
Cafferty seems to miss the freshness and directness of John McCain's answers on the Rick Warren show, criticizing McCain for giving flip, thoughtless answers. Here's a sample of some of the same kind of answers from Jack Cafferty himself. If you like thoughtful answers, Limbaugh has a recording of nearly 8 minutes of Obama um-ing and ah-ing in one 40 minute speech, with no duplicates.

"I would guess it didn't exactly represent a profile in courage for the vice-president to wander over there to the F-word network for a sitdown with Brit Hume. I mean, that's a little like Bonnie interviewing Clyde, ain't it?"

Cafferty was reprimanded by the president of CNN when he called Donald Rumsfeld "an obnoxious jerk and war criminal" on the eve of the 2006 midterm election.[

Cafferty once stated that "It seems the Democrats are the greatest thing the Republicans have going for them sometimes."

"Given the way these mutants treat women in their societies, the women are probably better off in U.S. custody. They treat women like furniture in those countries. If I was a woman, I think I’d rather be in an American jail cell than I would be living with one of those, whatever they are over there.

The Arab World is where innocent people are kidnapped, blindfolded, tied up, tortured and beheaded, and then videotape of all of this is released to the world as though they’re somehow proud of their barbarian. Somehow, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the sensitivity of the Arab world. They don’t seem to have very much. It’s going to come down to them or us

Cafferty was criticized for being flippant when he famously asked his colleague Wolf Blitzer: "Is Anna Nicole Smith still dead? "We'd done two hours on this peroxide never-was, passing apparently from some kind of drug overdose in some seedy hotel room in Florida. It's like, who cares? Nobody cares."

On the April 9, 2008 broadcast of CNN's The Situation Room, asked to comment on the United States' relationship with China, Cafferty responded: "I think they're basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years"

And a bonus:

Cafferty pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, assault and harassment after striking a cyclist and knocking him off his bike on May 14, 2003. The bicyclist was slightly injured. A traffic officer and several pedestrians ran after Mr. Cafferty's car, but he ran at least two red lights without stopping, according to a police complaint. Cafferty was sentenced to a $250 fine and 70 hours of community service.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Cafferty seems to miss the freshness and directness of John McCain's answers on the Rick Warren show, criticizing McCain for giving flip, thoughtless answers. Here's a sample of some of the same kind of answers from Jack Cafferty himself. If you like thoughtful answers, Limbaugh has a recording of nearly 8 minutes of Obama um-ing and ah-ing in one 40 minute speech, with no duplicates.

"I would guess it didn't exactly represent a profile in courage for the vice-president to wander over there to the F-word network for a sitdown with Brit Hume. I mean, that's a little like Bonnie interviewing Clyde, ain't it?"

Cafferty was reprimanded by the president of CNN when he called Donald Rumsfeld "an obnoxious jerk and war criminal" on the eve of the 2006 midterm election.[

Cafferty once stated that "It seems the Democrats are the greatest thing the Republicans have going for them sometimes."

"Given the way these mutants treat women in their societies, the women are probably better off in U.S. custody. They treat women like furniture in those countries. If I was a woman, I think I’d rather be in an American jail cell than I would be living with one of those, whatever they are over there.

The Arab World is where innocent people are kidnapped, blindfolded, tied up, tortured and beheaded, and then videotape of all of this is released to the world as though they’re somehow proud of their barbarian. Somehow, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the sensitivity of the Arab world. They don’t seem to have very much. It’s going to come down to them or us

Cafferty was criticized for being flippant when he famously asked his colleague Wolf Blitzer: "Is Anna Nicole Smith still dead? "We'd done two hours on this peroxide never-was, passing apparently from some kind of drug overdose in some seedy hotel room in Florida. It's like, who cares? Nobody cares."

On the April 9, 2008 broadcast of CNN's The Situation Room, asked to comment on the United States' relationship with China, Cafferty responded: "I think they're basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years"

And a bonus:

Cafferty pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, assault and harassment after striking a cyclist and knocking him off his bike on May 14, 2003. The bicyclist was slightly injured. A traffic officer and several pedestrians ran after Mr. Cafferty's car, but he ran at least two red lights without stopping, according to a police complaint. Cafferty was sentenced to a $250 fine and 70 hours of community service.
I believe you miss the point. Cafferty is not running for President. He is a talking head. A somewhat CONSERVATIVE talking head.

But I notice you were unable to refute the comments he made about McCain.

As for Obama um-ing and aw-ing for 8 minutes. I also note you didn't comment on the other 32 minutes of his 40 minute speech. Interesting you focused on the speech pattern instead of the speech.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I believe you miss the point. Cafferty is not running for President. He is a talking head. A somewhat CONSERVATIVE talking head.

But I notice you were unable to refute the comments he made about McCain.

As for Obama um-ing and aw-ing for 8 minutes. I also note you didn't comment on the other 32 minutes of his 40 minute speech. Interesting you focused on the speech pattern instead of the speech.
Fixed that word to increase your accuracy.

Those were 8 minutes of valuable thoughtfulness without a prompter and in the fine tradition of liberal Democratic angst.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Fixed that word to increase your accuracy.

Those were 8 minutes of valuable thoughtfulness without a prompter and in the fine tradition of liberal Democratic angst.
Again, you come up short when you try to edit someone else's thoughts. Unable was most accurate. Unwilling suggests that you lack the fortitude to come to terms with the conflict.

But nice obfuscation and slide. Again.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Again, you come up short when you try to edit someone else's thoughts. Unable was most accurate. Unwilling suggests that you lack the fortitude to come to terms with the conflict.

But nice obfuscation and slide. Again.
Wrong again, 2.8cm! You have no idea what my decision process is when considering your posts. Frequently I am UNWILLING to waste my time on your patently obvious need to argue for the sake of arguing, especially when you are simply trying to get me to argue with something you didn't write, i.e. Cafferty article. That's a really juvenile gimmick. Grow up.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Wrong again, 2.8cm! You have no idea what my decision process is when considering your posts. Frequently I am UNWILLING to waste my time on your patently obvious need to argue for the sake of arguing, especially when you are simply trying to get me to argue with something you didn't write, i.e. Cafferty article. That's a really juvenile gimmick. Grow up.
HAHAHAHAHA

Now THAT is the kind of clever reply I have come to expect from you. No discussion, slurs, and a blowout. Cool. Apparently Cafferty was closer than even I thought. Dang.

Again you wander into a thread, stir up but fail to discuss, debate or address the questions asked after you drive by spray your BS. Just name calling and obfucation and avoidance. AGAIN and AGAIN.

Nice.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA

Now THAT is the kind of clever reply I have come to expect from you. No discussion, slurs, and a blowout. Cool. Apparently Cafferty was closer than even I thought. Dang.

Again you wander into a thread, stir up but fail to discuss, debate or address the questions asked after you drive by spray your BS. Just name calling and obfucation and avoidance. AGAIN and AGAIN.

Nice.
Your disappointment is underwhelming.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in