New cam: should I stay with the tape-based HDV or switch to SD-based AVCHD? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New cam: should I stay with the tape-based HDV or switch to SD-based AVCHD?

The title says it all.

Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HV30 MiniDV High Definition Camcorder with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HF10 Flash Memory High Definition Camcorder with 16GB Internal Flash Memory and 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics
maine_coon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Man, I just bought the Vixia HF-10 a month or so ago. I started with the JVC Everio, which is a piece of shit. The HF-10 is as good a camera as you'll get without spending several thousand dollars. Not sure which NLE or computer you use; it works very well on Mac's as long as you have either iLife '08 or Final Cut Express / Final Cut Studio.

Picked it up at Best Buy w/ the performance guarantee for less than $1k...I don't do that bargain basement BS, and it was actually a better deal than B&H when you factor in the 4 years of accidental damage replacement coverage.

Get yourself another 16GB SDHC card, and you have an assload of recording time. I've been quite happy with it tracking my son's kart on a 1/4 mile asphalt oval from the grandstands. I limit the digital zoom to 40x, and even at that, it can be too much. Crystal clear optics, which is a Canon hallmark. Very very clean video, and the 60i/30p/24p modes allow you to have some fun with it.

You'll freak at how small and light these damn things are anymore.
Qubes is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Man, I just bought the Vixia HF-10 a month or so ago. I started with the JVC Everio, which is a piece of shit. The HF-10 is as good a camera as you'll get without spending several thousand dollars. Not sure which NLE or computer you use; it works very well on Mac's as long as you have either iLife '08 or Final Cut Express / Final Cut Studio.

Picked it up at Best Buy w/ the performance guarantee for less than $1k...I don't do that bargain basement BS, and it was actually a better deal than B&H when you factor in the 4 years of accidental damage replacement coverage.

Get yourself another 16GB SDHC card, and you have an assload of recording time. I've been quite happy with it tracking my son's kart on a 1/4 mile asphalt oval from the grandstands. I limit the digital zoom to 40x, and even at that, it can be too much. Crystal clear optics, which is a Canon hallmark. Very very clean video, and the 60i/30p/24p modes allow you to have some fun with it.

You'll freak at how small and light these damn things are anymore.
Thanks Q.

Now, have you ever used Canon HV20/30?

I am what they call "old school". I feel the uality is related to the medium. Tape being the medium so far fullfilled the quality. AVCHD is kind of new kid of the block and I am wondering about the artifacts etc.

As of my computers, I have about as many as Shane has cars.

Top of the line:

Q9300-based 3.0 Ghz (Quad core, lightly overclocked);

E4700-based 3.6 Ghz (Duo core, quite overclocked);

E7200-based, 3.8 Ghz (Duo Core, quite overclocked);

etc.

As you know, I can run OS X on any of them. I am not sure Final Cut port is functional though, I have to double-check.

So far Sony Vegas Pro and Uled VideoStudio worked out fine for me.

Still.. the dilemma..hard to forget about the tape..
maine_coon is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think that once you go to flash based storage, you won't want to go back. Artifacting, etc., are present on occasion (quickly moving items), but not distracting. Everything about the image quality is just amazing, especially for such a small package.

AVCHD is very highly compressed, so it's all on the PC to make sense of it during post. But it's very good compression.
Qubes is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Punjabi's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Location: In Virtual Reality
Posts: 3,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heh, heh........metinks da 'HIV' one wud b most apt 4 ya! heh, heh.......
Punjabi is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Don't forget the rocker arms...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjabi View Post
heh, heh........metinks da 'HIV' one wud b most apt 4 ya! heh, heh.......
That's nice, we have a perfectly legitimate discussion about video cameras, and you wish death upon one of us.

Go fuck yourself, you scumbag fucking troll motherfucker.
Qubes is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
That's nice, we have a perfectly legitimate discussion about video cameras, and you wish death upon one of us.

Go fuck yourself, you scumbag fucking troll motherfucker.
I put this motherfucker on "Ignore" long time ago, and now I see his idiotic posts quoted.

Q et al,

Do me a favor, don't quote this cocksucker anymore.
maine_coon is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Don't forget the rocker arms...
Huh?
maine_coon is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon View Post
I put this motherfucker on "Ignore" long time ago, and now I see his idiotic posts quoted.

Q et al,

Do me a favor, don't quote this cocksucker anymore.
I had too for a long while, then he disappeared (thankfully). Back on the list he goes.
Qubes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Has anyone UK based converted to Xenon? Nick450 R/C107 SL/SLC Class 1 03-05-2008 12:24 PM
    Upgrading CD based Comand system to dvd based cccablecompany Audio & Telematics Forum 4 11-24-2006 06:42 AM
    Is this based on the Chrysler Pacifica? Rickthecoinman W251 R-Class 5 03-26-2005 12:08 PM
    CD based NAV angldrkns9 W163 M-Class 2 11-13-2003 10:49 AM
    whats it based on? digital_b C209/A209 CLK-Class 7 10-18-2003 06:32 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome