Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
(Thread Starter)
Can't please everyone

Activist groups protest new 'clean-coal' practice of carbon sequestration
05/06/2008
Knoxville News-Sentinel, The
Knoxville, TN
Brass, Larisa

Calling carbon storage technology too expensive and a hollow answer to the environmental issues surrounding coal as an energy source, two local environmental groups on Monday protested federal legislation they say encourages development of coal-based power production.

Save Our Cumberland Mountains, a state citizens organization, and Students Promoting Environmental Action in Knoxville, a group based at the University of Tennessee, held a press conference in Knoxville's Market Square, beneath the Tennessee Valley Authority headquarters towers, to protest what they called a "$424 billion federal boondoggle to promote the continued use of coal to produce electricity," according to a release.

The groups cited a study, "False Hope: Why Carbon Capture and Storage Won't Save the Climate," released Monday by the international environmental group Greenpeace, criticizing measures included in a climate bill introduced by Sens. Joseph Lieberman and John Warner that would provide incentives for development of clean-coal technologies such as carbon sequestration. This technology would pipe carbon dioxide generated by coal-fired steam plants deep into the ground to prevent the greenhouse gas from being released into the air. Carbon dioxide is believed to be one of the main contributors to global warming.

Carrying banners reading, "Out of sight, out of mind is not always true" and "Carbon capture and storage does not make coal clean," local group leaders said funds aimed at encouraging clean-coal production and electricity generation should be focused instead on developing better renewable- fuel generation technologies such as wind and solar.

"Our position is we need to start phasing out coal as soon as possible," said Cathie Bird, chair of the Save Our Cumberland Mountain, or SOCM, strip mining committee.

"Why be putting money into a fossil fuel that's going to be running its course anyway?" added Ann League, also with SOCM.
League said in addition to the environmental effects of mining coal - and strip mining in particular, which blasts away mountaintops to remove the coal inside - the communities in their shadow do not benefit economically from the operations and are often left in a depressed state when the mines are closed.

"Sustainable jobs" helping to produce renewable generation technologies would better serve these "coalfield communities," she said.
According to the Greenpeace report, carbon storage technology would require 10 percent to 40 percent of the power produced by a station to operate, will not be viable until at least 2030, cannot be guaranteed as a safe and permanent storage solution and is expensive, potentially leading to a 21 percent to 91 percent increase in the price of power for consumers.

TVA generates just over 60 percent of its power from coal, with the balance coming from nuclear, hydro and wind sources, according to spokesman John Moulton.

He said the agency has no current plans to roll out carbon capture and storage technologies at its coal-fired plants.

"The primary reason is that there's really no technology that exists today that would be economical for a utility to capture carbon," he said. However, he said, TVA is a member of both the Electric Power Research Institute and the Southeast Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership, which are examining workable technologies for carbon sequestration.

Today's event was to have been held at the plaza between TVA's office towers, but TVA police asked protestors to move to city property, an agency policy, said Moulton.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 10:33 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Ed, maybe you should use your ignore button on a certain poster after 9:30.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFA
League said in addition to the environmental effects of mining coal - and strip mining in particular, which blasts away mountaintops to remove the coal inside - the communities in their shadow do not benefit economically from the operations and are often left in a depressed state when the mines are closed.
I would think this is the primary issues that the protesters have with the continued use of coal.

It is true we only have a couple of hundred years of it left but that should be more than enough time to bridge to safe/clean nuclear [of course there is always storage of nuclear waste to deal with].

Both living in the area, volunteering there monthly and growing up in the Cumberland Mountain Coal Field, I know that strip mining does dramatic damage to both the environment and to the local communities. One of the main problems has been that companies do not reclaim the land [as required by law] once they have finished working it. That causes sever erosion issues, flooding of the bottom land [making it useless for farming or living] and pollutes the water table.

All the monies from the mining leaves the counties, leaving behind a broken infrastructure, no alternative employment and 10-20% jobless rates. For folks who have no other skills or education, that is very problematic.

That article is from May, have there been any updates since then?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
When I was a child my family would travel
Down to Western Kentucky where my parents were born
And there's a backwards old town that's often remembered
So many times that my memories are worn.

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Well, sometimes we'd travel right down the Green River
To the abandoned old prison down by Adrie Hill
Where the air smelled like snakes and we'd shoot with our pistols
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill.

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

When I die let my ashes float down the Green River
Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam
I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waitin'
Just five miles away from wherever I am.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
... [of course there is always storage of nuclear waste to deal with]...
Elon Musk is working on that as we speak.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Elon Musk is working on that as we speak.
Yes, but we all would have to pay our utility bill with a paypal account.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Yes, but we all would have to pay our utility bill with a paypal account.
Considering the payload, that wasn't my biggest worry...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in