"The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK" - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 PM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Very interesting interplay between the racial insinuations on this thread and those in Jayhawk's thread FWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Because some of the council is Black does not mean they are not biased.

And the mayor, for all his good intentions is not in a position to "pop them in the head". If folks are not convicted of crimes, they are full citizens, whether taxpaying or not.
Far be it from me to claim that any racial group is immune to stupidity.

I was merely amused that we all assumed that the fundamental issue was racism.

Some people think that even bringing up the issue of race is racism. Which of course, is racist thinking in its own right.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Like that town in Louisiana that wouldn't let blacks fleeing Katrina cross the bridge into their lily white town, that of course was not racism, they just happened to be black. Those crackers would have let anyone die in a hurricane.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Like that town in Louisiana that wouldn't let blacks fleeing Katrina cross the bridge into their lily white town, that of course was not racism, they just happened to be black. Those crackers would have let anyone die in a hurricane.
Another example of never letting facts get in the way of a good story.

Hey pinhead, don't have a calendar? That event took place after the storm.

Even more amusing, the West Bank is racially mixed. Look it up.

Lastly, I didn't see your sorry-ass down there helping people in the boats. I spent 3 days immediately following the hurricane in Mid City & New Orleans East pulling people from the water, ferrying them from homes and bringing people food & water who refused to leave.

Then another 2 days over in the Rita impact area while you loud-mouthed, do-nothing pukes were whining for somebody (else) to do something. Thanks a lot.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Another example of never letting facts get in the way of a good story.

Hey pinhead, don't have a calendar? That event took place after the storm.

Even more amusing, the West Bank is racially mixed. Look it up.

Lastly, I didn't see your sorry-ass down there helping people in the boats. I spent 3 days immediately following the hurricane in Mid City & New Orleans East pulling people from the water, ferrying them from homes and bringing people food & water who refused to leave.

Then another 2 days over in the Rita impact area while you loud-mouthed, do-nothing pukes were whining for somebody (else) to do something. Thanks a lot.

B

You weren't the only one doing something..........

And then he went and.............

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Is it in a) Baghdad, Iraq, b) Tbilisi, Georgia, or c) Helena, Arkansas?

Nice to see the local police in the town of 15,000 have resorted to M16s and M4s to keep the peace. Apparently they are the only town in the United States with a crime problem and felt they had to set the mark.

Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew

By JON GAMBRELL

HELENA-WEST HELENA, Ark. (AP) ‚ÄĒ Officers armed with military rifles have been stopping and questioning passers-by in a neighborhood plagued by violence that's been under a 24-hour curfew for a week.

On Tuesday, the Helena-West Helena City Council voted 9-0 to allow police to expand that program into any area of the city, despite a warning from a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union of Arkansas that the police stops were unconstitutional.

Police Chief Fred Fielder said the patrols have netted 32 arrests since they began last week in a 10-block neighborhood in this small town on the banks of the Mississippi River long troubled by poverty. The council said those living in the city want the random shootings and drug-fueled violence to stop, no matter what the cost.

<McBear insert of space to highlight this particular paragraph>

"Now if somebody wants to sue us, they have an option to sue, but I'm fairly certain that a judge will see it the way the way the citizens see it here," Mayor James Valley said. "The citizens deserve peace, that some infringement on constitutional rights is OK and we have not violated anything as far as the Constitution."

<end block>

The area under curfew, in what used to be a West Helena neighborhood, sits among abandoned homes and occupied residences in disrepair.

White signs on large blue barrels warn those passing by that the area remains under curfew by order of Mayor James Valley. The order was scheduled to end at 3 p.m. Tuesday, but Valley said the city council's vote would allow police to have the same powers across Helena-West Helena.

Among the curfew operation's arrests, 10 came from felony charges, including the arrest of two people carrying both drugs and weapons, Fielder said. The police chief said the officers in the field carry military-style M-16 or M-4 rifles, some equipped with laser sights. Other officers carry short-barrel shotguns. Many dealing crack cocaine and marijuana in the city carry pistols and AK-47 assault rifles, he said.

"We've had people call us, expressing concern for their children," Fielder said. "They had to sleep on the floor, because of stray bullets."

Fielder said officers had not arrested anyone for violating the curfew, only questioned people about why they were outside. Those without good answers or acting nervously get additional attention, Fielder said.

However, such stops likely violate residents' constitutional rights to freely assemble and protections against unreasonable police searches, said Holly Dickson, a lawyer for the ACLU of Arkansas who addressed the council at its packed Tuesday meeting. Because of that, Dickson said any convictions coming from the arrests likely would be overturned.

"The residents of these high-crime areas are already victims," she said. "They're victims of what are happening in the neighborhoods, they're victims of fear. But for them to be subject to unlawful stops and questioning ... that is not going to ultimately going to help this situation."

The council rejected Dickson's claims, at one point questioning the Little Rock-based attorney if she'd live in a neighborhood they described as under siege by wild gunfire and gangs.

"As far as I'm concerned, at 3 o'clock in the morning, nobody has any business being on the street, except the law," Councilman Eugene "Red" Johnson said. "Anyone out at 3 o'clock shouldn't be out on the street, unless you're going to the hospital."

The curfew is the second under the mayor's watch since the rival cities of Helena and West Helena merged in 2006. That year, Valley set a nightly citywide curfew after a rash of burglaries and other thefts.

Police in Hartford, Conn., began enforcing a nightly curfew for youths after recent violence, including a weekend shooting that killed a man and wounded six young people.

Helena-West Helena, with 15,000 residents at the edge of Arkansas' eastern rice fields and farmland, is in one of the nation's poorest regions, trailing even parts of Appalachia in its standard of living.

In the curfew area, those inside the homes in the watch area peered out of door cracks Tuesday as police cruisers passed. They closed the doors afterward.

The Associated Press: Crime-ridden Arkansas town expands 24-hour curfew
For reference for the upcoming shitstorm, the racial makeup of Helena/West Helena is 30%W/70%B
Maybe you should hustle on over there and stand on the street corner to protest. Doing it of course before 3am

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
You weren't the only one doing something..........

And then he went and.............

Even that is more than you did, coward.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Maybe you should hustle on over there and stand on the street corner to protest. Doing it of course before 3am
Why stand on the corner when we have the internet?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Far be it from me to claim that any racial group is immune to stupidity.

I was merely amused that we all assumed that the fundamental issue was racism.

Some people think that even bringing up the issue of race is racism. Which of course, is racist thinking in its own right.

B
I doubt it is racist as much as biased against the poor who live there [and just happen to be black]. Prior to posting the article I had already seen who the Mayor was, half of the city council and mix of the police department so I knew it was not a Whites in power vs blacks in the hood issue. But posting up the racial mix at the bottom did provide a catalyst. It did the same on Fark, even with direct links to the "meet the city officials" link embedded.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Even that is more than you did, coward.
weak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in