The olympics opening ceremony - Page 9 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it just me or are there a LOT of new world records in the swimming events? It looks a bit fishy, I think the smog is enhancing their performance.
Sponsored Links
post #82 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's the suits. Oh, and like everything in China, the water is 40% less substantive than they'd have you believe. I think they back-fill their deficient water with extraordinarily complicated computer graphics.
post #83 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
It's the suits. Oh, and like everything in China, the water is 40% less substantive than they'd have you believe. I think they back-fill their deficient water with extraordinarily complicated computer graphics.
If they get the water from their normal water supplies I would say it is full of all sorts of interesting stuff. Last time I was there I saw Chromium plating "wash" pour straight into the water table.

Oh, and that MIST. It requires VISINE.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #84 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
OK then let's revisit your comment.

OK the "gas guzzlers would be environmental. What is your concern with them. I personally find that technology is limiting their impact as time goes by and newer, more efficient cars replace them. They are a niche market in the emerging transportation world, especially when you look at the Worldwide implications. China and India, two of the biggest polluters [and China being the subject of this original discussion are already moving toward both cleaner, more efficient vehicles AND embracing new technologies - unlike us who prefers to drill our way out of this.

Now McMansions are a double edged sword. While they are usually too large for needs, with the average just over 4000 sqft of living space now, they are also environmentally friendly with much more efficient appliances, HVAC units, insulation and footprint.

Car Collections and the garages that house them. I can only use mine as an example. The garage uses 9 CFL lights on the inside and two on the outside. It has graywater for cleanup and tools are to be charged with solar [as soon as I get my ass up on the roof to install the new panels]. As for the cars, parked, they as a group drive less than 5000 miles a year. All are in perfect tune and are at optimum performance. [And the tires have the correct inflation].

Fancy green yards, shopping frenzies and cheap labor are economic issues, not environmental. Does that more comprehensively address your previous post?
Is that you or is Al channelizing through you?

Did your garage spring up from the ground by itself like a weed or was it built with trees chopped some distance away and shipped to you ? If you did not have a car collection, then you would not need a garage. Therefore, your environmental "footprint" would have been smaller.
Sure, sure, like Al, you try to rationalize your behavior by using CFL lights, solar blah blah but the environmental "footprint" has already been made , hasn't it ?
post #85 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
you cannot have it both ways
If America became great using exactly the same business model that is now working for China at the cost of the Environment / human rights etc etc
To protest IS ENVY
so perhaps it is time for the good old U S of A to "suck it up"
You ( in the USA ) have had a good old time
But hey
They are not allowed one.
Give the land back to the natives and all the rest of you committ sucide if you are so concerned about the environment.
That would be a good start.
post #86 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:06 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Difflock - as you infer - Every Dog has his Day.

But it's more complex than that. We know that during the reign of Queen Victoria, as result of the Industrial Revolution, Britain emerged as the most powerful trading nation in the world.

This was not achieved (entirely) through military conquest, or the oppression of its peoples, but by ingenuity and inventiveness, and using the Private Enterprise model of capitalism. So what happened?

Well, WW1 & WW2 of course, which effectively bankrupted the nation, while the USA gathered industrial strength and bankrolled the developed world.

China might now be trying to regain it's one-time world industrial trading prowess, but it has a long way to go to catch up with the living standards (and the freedoms) of the West.
post #87 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
Thank you Keyhole, my point exactly
Britain had her day
US of A still has her delusions

"Wucky ur da"

being my phonetically challenged version of
that Irish language expression for

" Our day will come "

God bless capitalism
As it appers to be the only system that works, however poorly
post #88 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
If they get the water from their normal water supplies I would say it is full of all sorts of interesting stuff. Last time I was there I saw Chromium plating "wash" pour straight into the water table.

Oh, and that MIST. It requires VISINE.
McBear, your earlier post about America loosing international face and therefore respect has just been proved correct.

29 minutes ago

OUTSIDE GORI, Georgia - Russian tanks rolled into the crossroads city of Gori on Wednesday then thrust deep into Georgian territory, violating the truce designed to end the six-day war that has uprooted 100,000 people and scarred the Georgian landscape.

Georgian officials said Gori was looted and bombed by the Russians. An AP reporter later saw dozens of tanks and military vehicles leaving the city, roaring south.

Troops waved at journalists and one soldier jokingly shouted to a photographer: "Come with us, beauty, we're going to Tbilisi!"

To the west, Abkahzian separatist forces backed by Russian military might pushed out Georgian troops and even moved into Georgian territory, defiantly planting a flag.

"The border has been along this river for 1,000 years," separatist official Ruslan Kishmaria told AP on Wednesday. He said Georgia would have to accept the new border and taunted the retreating Georgian forces, saying they had received "American training in running away."

The developments came less than 12 hours after Georgia's president said he accepted a cease-fire plan brokered by France. Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Tuesday that Russia was halting military action because Georgia had paid enough for its attack last Thursday on the pro-Russian breakaway province of South Ossetia.

"There is no cease-fire," Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili told CNN Wednesday. "We have a humanitarian disaster on our hands."

Saakashvili gambled on a surprise attack late Thursday to regain control over South Ossetia. Instead, Georgia suffered a punishing beating from Russian tanks and aircraft that has left the country with even less control over territory than before.

About 50 Russian tanks entered Gori on Wednesday morning, according to a top Georgian official, Alexander Lomaia. The city of 50,000 sits on Georgia's only significant east-west road about 15 miles south of South Ossetia, a separatist province where much of the fighting has taken place.

Russia's deputy chief of General Staff Col.-Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn insisted Wednesday that no tanks were in Gori. He said Russians went into the city to implement the truce with local Georgian officials but could not find any.

However, AP reporters and television crews saw several dozen Russian military trucks and armored vehicles driving first around in Gori, then speeding south. One reporter was told to retreat to the south because Russian shelling would soon begin.

Nogovitsyn also said sporadic clashes continued in South Ossetia where Georgian snipers fired sporadically on Russian troops who returned fire. "We must respond to provocations," he said.

Russia has handed out passports to most in South Ossetia and Abkhazia, and stationed peacekeepers in the both regions since the early 1990s. Georgia wants the Russian peacekeepers out, but Medvedev insisted Tuesday they would stay.

In the west, Georgian troops acknowledged Wednesday they had completely pulled out of a small section of Abkhazia which they had controlled — a development that leaves the entire area in the hands of the Russian-backed separatists.

"This is Abkhazian land," one separatist told an AP reporter over the Inguri River, saying they were laying claim to historical Abkhazian territory and that Georgian troops left without challenging them. The fighters had moved across a thin slice of land dotted with Georgian villages.

Georgia insisted its troops were driven out by Russian forces. At first, Russia said that separatists had done the job, not Russian forces. Nogovitsyn said Wednesday that Russian peacekeepers had disarmed Georgian troops in Kodori — the same peacekeepers that Georgia wants withdrawn.

The effect was clear. Abkhazia was out of Georgian hands and it would take more than an EU peace plan to get it back in.

One of two separatists areas trying to leave Georgia for Russia, Abkhazia lies close to the heart of many Russians. It's Black Sea coast was a favorite vacation spot for the Soviet elite, and the province is just down the coast from Sochi, the Russian resort that will host the 2014 Olympics.

Lomaia said Russian troops also still held the western town of Zugdidi near Abkhazia, controlling the region's main highway. An AP reporter saw a convoy of 13 Russian tanks and armored personnel carriers in Zugdidi's outskirts on Wednesday.

"Russia has treacherously broken its word," Lomaia said.

The first U.N. relief flight arrived in Georgia on Tuesday to help the tens of thousands uprooted by six days of fighting. Thousands of Georgian refugees have streamed into Tbilisi, the capital, or the western Black Sea coast while thousands more South Ossetian refugees headed north to Russia. Those left behind in devastated regions of Georgia cowered in rat-infested cellars or wandered nearly deserted cities.

At a huge rally Tuesday night, Saakashvili said Russia's aim all along was not to gain control of the two disputed provinces but to "destroy" the smaller nation, a former Soviet state and current U.S. ally who wants to join NATO.

"They just don't want freedom, and that's why they want to stamp on Georgia and destroy it," he declared to thousands at a jam-packed square in Tbilisi.

He was joined by the leaders of five former Soviet bloc states — Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Ukraine — who also spoke out against Russian domination.

"Our neighbor thinks it can fight us. We are telling it no," said Polish President Lech Kaczynski.

In Brussels, Belgium, France sought support from its EU partners to deploy European peacekeeping monitors to the area. But French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said the move would only take place with the consent of both Russia and Georgia.

Russia accused Georgia of killing more than 2,000 people, mostly civilians, in South Ossetia. The claim couldn't be independently confirmed, but witnesses who fled the area over the weekend said hundreds had died.

Georgia said Wednesday that 175 Georgians had died in five days of air and ground attacks that left homes in smoldering ruins, including some killed Tuesday in a Russian bombing raid of Gori just hours before Medvedev declared fighting halted.

An AP reporter also saw heavy damage from a raid Tuesday in a Georgian village near Gori. Two men and a woman in Ruisi were killed and another five were wounded.

"I always hide in the basement," said one villager, the 70-year old Vakhtang Chkhekvadze as he pulled off a window frame blasted by an explosion. "But this time the explosion came so abruptly, I don't remember what happened afterward."

The Russia-Georgia dispute also reached the international courts, with the Georgian security council saying it had sued Russia for alleged ethnic cleansing. For his part, Medvedev reiterated accusations that Georgia had committed "genocide" in trying to reclaim South Ossetia.

At the Beijing Olympics, Georgian women rallied Wednesday to beat their Russian counterparts in beach volleyball, the first head-to-head clash of the two nations.

"Russia and Georgia are actually friends. People are friends," said the Georgian beach volleyball team leader, Levan Akhtulediani. "But you know, it's not, in the 21st century, to bomb a neighbor country, it's not a good idea."

"I say once again, its better to compete on the field rather than outside the field," he added.

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #89 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
New Event: Olympic Invasion.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #90 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to say, I have never been interested in the Olympics but this year it seems to be full of energy and very inspiring.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: