Obambi plays the race card... Again and Again and Again - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
You need to get a life--DUMBEST!

Even those fags, Shane and Jimbo, have backed off...
STFU!!!!

I was at a client meeting and I thought it impolite and even disrespectful to be posting on BWOT at the time.

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #172 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You misunderstand my position completely.

As a non political example. I have friends who have businesses that need strategic advice. While I might truly believe in them, if I look at their business and understand that it will not not grow or will not gain in the way they are projecting, I have to make the best decision for the advice I provide them. Do I advise them to put money in a project that they really like or do I make the best judgment that I can and recommend what I believe is best for their business. History has shown the second answer, while not popular is the best way to go.

In the political world, I truly believe we need more parties. I want the greatly as we need more choice, and more diverse debate than the two parties we have. I work to make that happen by financially supporting Independent and Libertarian candidates and parties at the grassroots levels. I have done so for 35 years.

Now, to voting on the National election [or a state election for that fact]. You suggest that it is irresponsible to vote for a candidate that you do not believe in. I infer from that that I should only vote for a candidate that I truly believe in. Let's look at my decision making now.

I want to do what is best for the COUNTRY [in my opinion]. I take that vote very seriously. I have missed just one primary or general election since I have been allowed to vote and it involved a trip out of country that extended.

My PRIME Criterion is "what is best for my Country [in my opinion]", I have to look at the candidates and weigh all the positions and what the balance is. That decision has had me vote Democratic or Republican, depending on the totality of circumstance throughout the 40 voting years.

Using that criterion, and knowing the statistical probabilities of a third party candidate doing anything more than receiving 5% of the popular vote and 0% of the Electoral College I find it irresponsible to place a vote for that candidate. It serves NO purpose to my Country, it serves no purpose to that candidate and it serves no purpose toward gaining a "third Party" foothold [If 1992 is an indication]. Using that criterion I have to make a decision that will make my vote actually count. And, at this point in time that means, voting for one of the two primary party candidates. Only they have the infrastructures in place to pull in 55-60 million votes and only they have the infrastructure to build a coalition between the White House and Congress, necessary to get work done. If there was a legitimate Independent or Libertarian candidate, with a legitimate organized party running, I would imagine I would be one of his/her most vocal supporters. But sadly that is just not the case and while I respect anyone who votes their conscience, I truly believe that voting third party in today's political arena is simply a spoiler tact, intentionally or not.
I'm glad to see that you, too, believe that "Party trumps person." But why don't you practice a little brevity? Or is it that narcissism thing again?

The problem with Ed's approach is that a voter is unlikely to ever fully align with a candidate's positions and, to sit out the election, allows the least favorite person to go up one vote with less effort.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
bottomline1 is offline  
post #173 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
I'm glad to see that you, too, believe that "Party trumps person." But why don't you practice a little brevity? Or is it that narcissism thing again?

The problem with Ed's approach is that a voter is unlikely to ever fully align with a candidate's positions and, to sit out the election, allows the least favorite person to go up one vote with less effort.
You obviously didn't read what I wrote. Otherwise you would have seen "I have to look at the candidates and weigh all the positions and what the balance is. That decision has had me vote Democratic or Republican, depending on the totality of circumstance throughout the 40 voting years." That means that I look at the candidate, irregardless of Party, NOT "party trumps person".

You would further see that the CANDIDATE is the important criterion, that the supporting party is the infrastructure that frames the totality of circumstance.

As for why I don't write with brevity, I am online with folks from six different cultures, on four continents on a daily basis, with different technical and cultural understandings. I have found that when I need to explain a position, opinion, task or architecture, it behooves me to provide a detailed, thorough explanation so there should not be questions. Those who read and comprehend understand and appreciate the reasons for that thoroughness.

OR

It's work related habit.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #174 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You obviously didn't read what I wrote. Otherwise you would have seen "I have to look at the candidates and weigh all the positions and what the balance is. That decision has had me vote Democratic or Republican, depending on the totality of circumstance throughout the 40 voting years." That means that I look at the candidate, irregardless of Party, NOT "party trumps person".

You would further see that the CANDIDATE is the important criterion, that the supporting party is the infrastructure that frames the totality of circumstance.

As for why I don't write with brevity, I am online with folks from six different cultures, on four continents on a daily basis, with different technical and cultural understandings. I have found that when I need to explain a position, opinion, task or architecture, it behooves me to provide a detailed, thorough explanation so there should not be questions. Those who read and comprehend understand and appreciate the reasons for that thoroughness.

OR

It's work related habit.
I have also found that being careful and thorough smokes out the ones who are here to merely reply with a chant from their latest brainwashing session by the "party." They object to having to read more than a phrase or clause to select the "appropriate" response from their party masters. Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #175 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
flyboyike's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 7,699
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by concretist View Post
If I were a black man instead of a west texas white trash Irish hillbilly growing up in America where mostly white Republicans got their kicks by calling me a nigger all my life...I'm not sure how I could be restrained from using race as an issue, cause it is one.
Republicans like Robert Byrd, maybe?

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
flyboyike is offline  
post #176 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
Republicans like Robert Byrd, maybe?
Byrd is of that generation, and of that region where that was acceptable, whether it was derogatory or not.

It was still wrong but I find that many folks in their 80s and 90s use terms that startle me and I know they don't have a malicious bone in their body.

AB Chandler, former Governor of Kentucky was a good example. He would use the term in his very old age as he was recalling some story of his past. You knew it was not a slur or derogatory but just what his elderly mind pulled out. The look on his grandson's face [current Congressman Ben Chandler] was always one of bemused pain. On at least two occasions, Mohammad Ali would also be in the room and just come by and rub Gov Chandler's head when he would say things like that.

As a back story, AB Chandler was Commissioner of Baseball and demanded that it be integrated, pushing the teams to start that process. One of his best friends was Jackie Robinson.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #177 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I have also found that being careful and thorough smokes out the ones who are here to merely reply with a chant from their latest brainwashing session by the "party." They object to having to read more than a phrase or clause to select the "appropriate" response from their party masters. Jim
You? Recent master of STFU? You mind-numbed robots on the left are adept at accusing others of what you do yourself.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
bottomline1 is offline  
post #178 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You misunderstand my position completely.

As a non political example. I have friends who have businesses that need strategic advice. While I might truly believe in them, if I look at their business and understand that it will not not grow or will not gain in the way they are projecting, I have to make the best decision for the advice I provide them. Do I advise them to put money in a project that they really like or do I make the best judgment that I can and recommend what I believe is best for their business. History has shown the second answer, while not popular is the best way to go.

In the political world, I truly believe we need more parties. I want the greatly as we need more choice, and more diverse debate than the two parties we have. I work to make that happen by financially supporting Independent and Libertarian candidates and parties at the grassroots levels. I have done so for 35 years.

Now, to voting on the National election [or a state election for that fact]. You suggest that it is irresponsible to vote for a candidate that you do not believe in. I infer from that that I should only vote for a candidate that I truly believe in. Let's look at my decision making now.

I want to do what is best for the COUNTRY [in my opinion]. I take that vote very seriously. I have missed just one primary or general election since I have been allowed to vote and it involved a trip out of country that extended.

My PRIME Criterion is "what is best for my Country [in my opinion]", I have to look at the candidates and weigh all the positions and what the balance is. That decision has had me vote Democratic or Republican, depending on the totality of circumstance throughout the 40 voting years.

Using that criterion, and knowing the statistical probabilities of a third party candidate doing anything more than receiving 5% of the popular vote and 0% of the Electoral College I find it irresponsible to place a vote for that candidate. It serves NO purpose to my Country, it serves no purpose to that candidate and it serves no purpose toward gaining a "third Party" foothold [If 1992 is an indication]. Using that criterion I have to make a decision that will make my vote actually count. And, at this point in time that means, voting for one of the two primary party candidates. Only they have the infrastructures in place to pull in 55-60 million votes and only they have the infrastructure to build a coalition between the White House and Congress, necessary to get work done.

If there was a legitimate Independent or Libertarian candidate, with a legitimate organized party running, I would imagine I would be one of his/her most vocal supporters. But sadly that is just not the case and while I respect anyone who votes their conscience, I truly believe that voting third party in today's political arena is simply a spoiler tact, intentionally or not.
On the contrary, I think I nailed your position precisely. While you make it sound quite noble above, you have been assimilated into the machine. If you will not consider voting for a candidate that you agree with because the machine has marginalized them, they will forever stay in the margin. It takes money to organize, takes votes to get money, a vicious cycle, the chicken and the egg thing. These days, money gets votes, and while I know that is unlikely to change, that ain't the way it is supposed to be. It is why our two major parties are bought and paid for, and the folks who own them don't have a reason to fund any extra parties. The first move towards legitimacy is with us.
So, while I expect that Obama still matches up with your thinking, if you are telling me that you would not vote for a third party candidate whose positions you agree with because, ultimately, they are not part of the machine, I think you are very very wrong.

The Borg Collective


Last edited by edfreeman; 08-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
edfreeman is offline  
post #179 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
The problem with Ed's approach is that a voter is unlikely to ever fully align with a candidate's positions and, to sit out the election, allows the least favorite person to go up one vote with less effort.
I didn't say that, as the only person I fully agree with is me. Which candidate do you best identify with right now?

edfreeman is offline  
post #180 of 196 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
 
Digmenow's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 36,511
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
ed. You don't have to download a picture to your hard drive and then upload it with your post.


Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Digmenow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Bush's Third Term... Ã* la Obambi Jayhawk Off-Topic 41 07-08-2008 11:58 AM
    Obambi plays the race card... Again Jayhawk Off-Topic 87 06-24-2008 09:35 AM
    Obambi has a problem... Jayhawk Off-Topic 10 06-12-2008 06:24 PM
    Just a gentle reminder, Race Day (lead up for 1st F1 race) begins in 30 minutes Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 14 03-16-2008 05:07 PM
    The race race just began in the democrat party: Who would have thunk Jayhawk Off-Topic 9 01-26-2008 08:30 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome