Obambi's solution to the energy crisis: "Inflate your tires!" - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww...

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Use only 2 squares of toilet paper.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Actually, inflating tires to the high end of the specified range is a good practice. Ask Ford and Firestone. It also saves gas. The biggest "do it now and save gas" change that we can make is to force traffic lights to be timed to allow people to run at a fixed speed and never have to stop. I got one of those ScangageII devices and stopping is the biggest mpg detractor of any driving event other than being 16 and having a need to do stupid shit in a car.

We waste an awful lot of fuel idling and accelerating, over and over and over. Just fixing traffic lights would make a big difference. In Germany in the 1960's on the main roads around the city of Munich they had little lights attached to the poles for the traffic signals that the speed you needed to go to get to the next light when it was still green. It was called the "Gruene Welle" or "Green Wave" and it worked until some douche would screw up the traffic pattern (like point to his head with his forefinger while looking at the guy in the next lane) so you couldn't get to the next light at the suggested speed.

But hey Jaybaugh, keep throwing useless crap out at Obama. It suits your image as an old, senile GOP operative. Jim
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Jim, don't get off message. It's Drill Drill Drill. There is no other solution. Didn't you get the memo. Conservation and efficiency and New Technology are just red herrings.

As a sterling example, that 9Billion fewer miles driven per month over the last couple of months hasn't done a thing for supply and demand. Gas is still at $4.50 for Premium.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Jim, don't get off message. It's Drill Drill Drill. There is no other solution. Didn't you get the memo. Conservation and efficiency and New Technology are just red herrings.

As a sterling example, that 9Billion fewer miles driven per month over the last couple of months hasn't done a thing for supply and demand. Gas is still at $4.50 for Premium.
I don't know about where you live but around here there are a lot of people who have slowed down to below the 65 mph speed limit. Still plenty of people exceeding it, but a lot more than a year ago who drive 60 mph. So, even if it doesn't inspire anyone to drop prices, it saves money and fuel. But I get the message. It is DRILL!DRILL!DRILL! and be about as shrill and closed minded about it as you can. Jim
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I don't know about where you live but around here there are a lot of people who have slowed down to below the 65 mph speed limit. Still plenty of people exceeding it, but a lot more than a year ago who drive 60 mph. So, even if it doesn't inspire anyone to drop prices, it saves money and fuel. But I get the message. It is DRILL!DRILL!DRILL! and be about as shrill and closed minded about it as you can. Jim
We have a limited access circle around Lexington that has, in the past been a 75-80MPH run by everyone [posted 55]. Cops radared and lasered all the time. Because it is between the two houses, I have to drive that 12 miles 4 times a day. I run at 55-60 with traffic, NOBODY is running quick and only a few are running 65.. Same on I-75. Laser cops are still out and if you run quick you stick out like a sore thumb.

I talked to a friend who owns 14 Shell stations and he says his 'gallons pumped" are down by 15-20% depending on location.

I also see more and more temp tags on more Kias, Suzukis, Hondas and Toyotas daily. There are a couple of dealers that will not take an SUV in trade, PERIOD.

While $4.00 kicked many folks in the ass that have to commute to work [no, most of this country doesn't have mass transit] it sure is changing the mindset.

Sorry, didn't mean to use that change word.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

The highest price for premium around here is $3.99. I just filled up ten minutes ago. That is the high price here too, because it is only one of three stations here in Lawrence that does not have ethanol--and they charge ten cents more that everyone else because of that. Premium's only about $3.80 in Missouri.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
The highest price for premium around here is $3.99. I just filled up ten minutes ago. That is the high price here too, because it is only one of three stations here in Lawrence that does not have ethanol--and they charge ten cents more that everyone else because of that. Premium's only about $3.80 in Missouri.
I think you might have missed the sarcasm of the post.

See, the Nine Billion FEWER miles driven per month HAVE contributed to cheaper prices. Get it.

I paid $3.86 for premium at Shell this evening.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I think you might have missed the sarcasm of the post.

See, the Nine Billion FEWER miles driven per month HAVE contributed to cheaper prices. Get it.

I paid $3.86 for premium at Shell this evening.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wow, finally there's a solution to embarrassing "swimmers' shrinkage"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in