Does the U.S. owe the world an apology for George W. Bush? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Does the U.S. owe the world an apology for George W. Bush?
Yes 23 57.50%
No 15 37.50%
Undecided 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All kidding aside, I've always believed a key component of leadership is the ability to admit when a mistake has been made and then implement a plan to rectify the mistake. Far from being weak, it is actually a sign of tremendous strength. It displays a confidence in your own leadership and a belief that those you give leadership to will follow you.

The US will continue to be a global leader regardless of who gets elected and regardless of whether or not that person apologizes for mistakes (or whatever you want to call them). The US will continue to set the global tone for the foreseeable future. The difference will lie in whether or not the globe follows because they have to or because they genuinely want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Someone needs to apologize to us.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
So you don't think we need to rebuild any bridges? The apologist term I've most often is "make amends" or "making amends". Hillary spoke of sending Bill on a world tour to do just that, and Edwards had said he would do it himself as his highest priority if elected.
I think rebuilding bridges should be the highest order, as it will enhance our security and help rebuild our economy.

I don't equate that with a "Sorry we F'ed up the World while Dipshit was driving" apology.

In many respects, the WORLD moved along nicely while Bushie ran Uncle Sam's Caddy in the ditch. The Euro blossomed, China's economy made staggering gains, Brazil's economy moved up 950%. Emerging nations not directly tied to the US did just fine.

Only the toxic economic spillover of our financial meltdown is starting to catch some of them now.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I think rebuilding bridges should be the highest order, as it will enhance our security and help rebuild our economy.

I don't equate that with a "Sorry we F'ed up the World while Dipshit was driving" apology.

In many respects, the WORLD moved along nicely while Bushie ran Uncle Sam's Caddy in the ditch. The Euro blossomed, China's economy made staggering gains, Brazil's economy moved up 950%. Emerging nations not directly tied to the US did just fine.

Only the toxic economic spillover of our financial meltdown is starting to catch some of them now.
Most folks start rebuilding bridges with a simple two word utterance: "I'm sorry".

'Apologizing' is to 'making amends' what 'propoganda' is to 'lying'. In this case and in reference to the Bush administration in particular, little more than semantics.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Most folks start rebuilding bridges with a simple two word utterance: "I'm sorry".

'Apologizing' is to 'making amends' what 'propoganda' is to 'lying'. In this case and in reference to the Bush administration in particular, little more that semantics.
I see your point on this. I think of rebuilding bridges as doing so with action, not words. I think that with a strong Foreign Policy that in inclusive of the World community, a policy that is not Imperialistic and Nation Building in nature and a policy that fosters cooperation, the actions will speak much louder than any words could.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 71,350slc,2-75 280sl,77 280sl 4 sp manual,79 280sl 4sp manual,80 280slc,82 280sl 84 280sl
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
We owe ourselves an apology for George W, Bush twice.....

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I see your point on this. I think of rebuilding bridges as doing so with action, not words. I think that with a strong Foreign Policy that in inclusive of the World community, a policy that is not Imperialistic and Nation Building in nature and a policy that fosters cooperation, the actions will speak much louder than any words could.
You mean the policy of throwing Bush administration policy under a bus. Now I would pretty much "equate that with a "Sorry we F'ed up the World while Dipshit was driving" apology". I do believe we're arguing semantics here. You can't include the world community without talking to them, and the easiest words to use to precede and help explain a dramatic course change are....

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
You mean the policy of throwing Bush administration policy under a bus. Now I would pretty much "equate that with a "Sorry we F'ed up the World while Dipshit was driving" apology". I do believe we're arguing semantics here.
Assuming there is a regime change in November, his policies are going under the bus anyway. So it is just a matter of building a cohesive foreign policy that is more conducive to traditional American standards, instead of the NeoCon tangent that we are now experiencing and for which we feel the need to apologize.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody View Post
We owe ourselves an apology for George W, Bush twice.....
Now THAT I agree with.

I just don't see the Shrinking28 apologizing for the Bush Error.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Assuming there is a regime change in November, his policies are going under the bus anyway. So it is just a matter of building a cohesive foreign policy that is more conducive to traditional American standards, instead of the NeoCon tangent that we are now experiencing and for which we feel the need to apologize.
Exactly.

I thought the regime shift from Carter to Reagan was dramatic, but there was really no need to apologize to the world for a bunch of stupid shit by Carter that was universally acknowledged as well-intentioned. I should hope that the next regime change is far more dramatic than even that, and we run away as fast as we can from a bunch of stupid shit that was anything but well-intentioned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in