Gallup Daily: Obama Maintains Slim Edge Over McCain - Page 18 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
But I know he wasn't on vacation some of those days... Can you explain that?
Yes

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
The Obambi bounce?

Gallup Daily: Race Tied as Democratic Convention Starts

Don't believe everything you think
post #173 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I am impressed with McCain. After three months of negative advertisements and wandering around he has managed to, for three days in the past two weeks break [I hesitate to say "surge"] above 44%.

I guess consistency is a good trait.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #174 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I am impressed with McCain. After three months of negative advertisements and wandering around he has managed to, for three days in the past two weeks break [I hesitate to say "surge"] above 44%.

I guess what puzzles me is how Obambi can be so low in the polls when all polls show that about 70% of the public want democRATS to win it all. How can he be at only 44% when everyone seems to want a sea change in Washington. Doesn't it make you wonder?

post #175 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I guess what puzzles me is how Obambi can be so low in the polls when all polls show that about 70% of the public want democRATS to win it all. How can he be at only 44% when everyone seems to want a sea change in Washington. Doesn't it make you wonder?
Sea Change? Yes, we actually do want the SEA to wash Washington away [except for the museums, and Room 239 at the Hay-Adams].

While I razz you about the ups and downs of polls , I really don't think these daily snapshots are all that accurate. While they might reflect the answer to direct questions, they don't reflect mood of the body of voters Nationally and they don't get into the overlapping dynamics for which discrete questions fail to glean answers.

There are also two other variables. The 10% who pick either neither, other or don't know and the 2% margin of error for each days polling.

So to me it simply means that most people are playing it close to their chest. Look closer at how the candidates are doing in the red vs blue states. In those Obama is targeting higher in Blue states than McCain is in Red States. That is going to make a difference in Electoral Votes come November. Candidate Support by "Red," "Purple," and "Blue" States

So, the variables are just too many to look at a polling number. We as a country like to "keep score". Elections don't work like that until we actually get to Election Day. Unless Katherine Harris is on the job.

Wonder if her replacement has gotten a boob job recently. That could be a harbinger.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #176 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Sea Change? Yes, we actually do want the SEA to wash Washington away [except for the museums, and Room 239 at the Hay-Adams].

While I razz you about the ups and downs of polls , I really don't think these daily snapshots are all that accurate. While they might reflect the answer to direct questions, they don't reflect mood of the body of voters Nationally and they don't get into the overlapping dynamics for which discrete questions fail to glean answers.

There are also two other variables. The 10% who pick either neither, other or don't know and the 2% margin of error for each days polling.

So to me it simply means that most people are playing it close to their chest. Look closer at how the candidates are doing in the red vs blue states. In those Obama is targeting higher in Blue states than McCain is in Red States. That is going to make a difference in Electoral Votes come November. Candidate Support by "Red," "Purple," and "Blue" States

So, the variables are just too many to look at a polling number. We as a country like to "keep score". Elections don't work like that until we actually get to Election Day. Unless Katherine Harris is on the job.

Wonder if her replacement has gotten a boob job recently. That could be a harbinger.
Sorry, I meant to say SEE change...

post #177 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

If you spent as much time with polls as you do admiring your 2.8cm, you'd be able to correctly understand that negative ads bring your opponent down in numbers, but don't raise your own. Voters hate negativity, but depend on it to define the candidates.

As reported today, the 13th Battleground poll in the last six years showed that Question D-3 again gave consistent results for the 6 years that 60% of respondents consider themselves "very conservative or conservative", 2% consider themselves "moderate" and about 30% call themselves liberal or very liberal".

So, politically, our electorate is a center-right group on the spectrum and has been since Reagan. Clinton got elected as a "New Democrat, implying he had moved to the center. In order for BHO and O'biden to win they must bring in a ton of white males and that means facing a lot of "bitter-clingers" who are Catholic. These are the old Reagan Democrats. Considering that BHO voted against an Illinois bill to protect viable newborns from medical neglect (aka infanticide) after a botched second trimester abortion, it's going to be tough for B&B.

One can pick up this "ordinary, working class background" theme beginning with Michele's speech tonight and this will run through the DNC. She never even mentioned that she and her husband graduated from Harvard Law, in an effort to minimize their elitism.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton

Last edited by bottomline1; 08-25-2008 at 10:06 PM.
post #178 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to say SEE change...
I know, but it was the fun part.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #179 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
She never even mentioned that she and her husband graduated from Harvard Law, in an effort to minimize their elitism.
You think they're good enough to work as servants in one of McCain's innumerable and uncounted houses? Elitism my ass. Get a grip.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #180 of 281 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's well acknowledged within their campaign that they, esp BHO, has a problem with perceived elitism. Having earned $4 million last year, living in a $1.6 million house and both graduates of Harvard law isn't something they want front and center about themselves. I'm fine with their success, but the problem is that they have to attract bitter-clingers to vote for them. Get it now?

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in