post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Obama Explains Scrubbed Visit with Wounded Troops in Germany
July 26, 2008 8:03 AM

After meeting with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown today, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, came before the microphones and took a few questions from the press.

I asked him to explain the controversy about his canceled trip to visit with wounded troops at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.

The campaign had initially said that Sen. Obama had said he thought it might be inappropriate to visit the troops since the campaign was funding his European swing.

Then after reports that the Pentagon had expressed concerns to the Obama campaign about the political aspect to the visit, the Obama campaign issued a statement from Maj Gen. Scott Gration (Ret.), a foreign policy adviser to Obama, saying that the Pentagon told him the visit to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center would be viewed as "a campaign event.''

"Senator Obama did not want to have a trip to see our wounded warriors perceived as a campaign event when his visit was to show his appreciation for our troops and decided instead not to go,'' Gration said.

But the Pentagon said that wasn't true, that Obama was more than welcome to come, it was just that he couldn't bring the media or campaign staff.

So here's what Obama said about it all:

"The staff was working this so I don’t know each and every detail but here is what I understand happened," Obama said. "We had scheduled to go, we had no problem at all in leaving, we always leave press and staff off -- that is why we left it off the schedule. We were treating it in the same way we treat a visit to Walter Reed which I was able to do a few weeks ago without any fanfare whatsoever. I was going to be accompanied by one of my advisors, a former military officer."

Continued Obama, "And we got notice that he would be treated as a campaign person, and it would therefore be perceived as political because he had endorsed my candidacy but he wasn’t on the Senate staff. That triggered then a concern that maybe our visit was going to be perceived as political. And the last thing that I want to do is have injured soldiers and the staff at these wonderful institutions having to sort through whether this is political or not or get caught in the crossfire between campaigns."

"So rather than go forward and potentially get caught up in what might have been considered a political controversy of some sort," Obama said, "what we decided was that we not make a visit and instead I would call some of the troops that were there. So that essentially would be the extent of the story."

- jpt

Political Punch

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
And besides, the Ritz Carlton has a really nice health club.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
And besides, the Ritz Carlton has a really nice health club.
They always do...

Don't believe everything you think
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Continued Obama, ..."So rather than go forward and potentially get caught up in what might have been considered a political controversy of some sort," Obama said, "what we decided was that we not make a visit and instead I would call some of the troops that were there. So that essentially would be the extent of the story."

- jpt

Political Punch
Missed opportunity.

Senator Obama could have walked in alone on the QT, without any entourage and had a quiet, meaningful conversation with as many wounded servicemen as time would allow. After the trip, he could drop in a reference during a speech about talking to a wounded G.I. being treated at Landstuhl. It would define that day's election coverage newscycle and enhance his image far more than pictures of him sitting beside a hospital bed.

Unless there was a reason he shouldn't go alone.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
So far McCain is running defense and Obama has quite the Teflon offense. McCain has got to stop letting Obama call the shots, reacting instead of creating the issues makes McCain look second tier.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Missed opportunity.

Senator Obama could have walked in alone on the QT, without any entourage and had a quiet, meaningful conversation with as many wounded servicemen as time would allow. After the trip, he could drop in a reference during a speech about talking to a wounded G.I. being treated at Landstuhl. It would define that day's election coverage newscycle and enhance his image far more than pictures of him sitting beside a hospital bed.

Unless there was a reason he shouldn't go alone.
BUT he had gym time scheduled at the Four Seasons! How the hell can you expect him to pass on that meaningful event? Geeezzzzz...

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
So far McCain is running defense and Obama has quite the Teflon offense. McCain has got to stop letting Obama call the shots, reacting instead of creating the issues makes McCain look second tier.
Surprisingly, I thought it was just the opposite... Hummm...

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This entire thread is based on a GOP Swift Boat Smear Job:

Fight the Smears | The truth about Barack visiting military hospitals

Fight the Smears | The truth about Barack's foreign trip

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Ah, the "truth" from Feel The Love and a website entitled, "http://my.barackobama.com". A harmonic convergence.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We can be assured the truth is coming from your side, I'm sure.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in