LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Well, Day 13 went well. Trusses were delivered WITHOUT taking out the power, cable and phone lines. Crew showed up an hour early and now have the trusses up. I am heading back over there now to sign off on the day [they are in the pool] and pay them.

The roof pitch is a little shallow for the proportions of the building. That had to be done due to the 20ft max building code and the power line easement restrictions.

Started at 4pm, these were taken at 6:30. They are going to work all weekend and the roof will be done [with dimensional shingles] by Sunday.
Up the ladder, down the ladder, move the ladder- sucks!

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ah, so I'm in somewhat the same boat. The last shop I had built was located on a one acre lot (24' x 36' = 864 sq/ft). It was just about right for my needs/wants/desires. Now, I have a much much smaller lot to work with, and must necessarily make some compromises. My existing garage space is 18' x 20' = 360 sq/ft, which is totally unacceptable. I'm working with a contractor to add 5' of length to the existing structure, while also attaching a 16' x 18' = 288 sq/ft structure to the side (between the garage and the silly little garden shed).

That works out to roughly 750 sq/ft of usable space. I also want to make it look period appropriate for my '30's era house, so the contractor and I have convened many a head-scratching party to work out the details.

post #83 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0 View Post
Where did I say that I was a minimalist?

Does every design need to be heroic and need to be a monument?
You got it backwards.
The best monuments (think Vietnam memorial, Washington) are most definitely non-heroic, understated and minimalist where the less clutter the better. The last I checked, buildings where people live,work or play are most definitely not monuments.

Quote:
Imagine having to eat the egg, butter and honey laden pastry with sliced almonds every morning. I would rather choose a simple toast and butter, however, the grain is fully organic, unbleached and stone-milled, and butter from Normandy.
Comparing a permanent structure to breakfast is stretching it.

Quote:
I strive for extraordinary of ordinariness, not something attention grabbing that ultimately fail as a result of poor detailing, program functions unfulfilled and building bullying its occupants.
Here's what comes to my mind from your words
I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint.

Also, I would gather you are not a fan of Wright especially the waterfall in a house part.

Last edited by mlfun; 07-20-2008 at 12:20 AM.
post #84 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I would like to make a suggestion to equip the garage with hanging or readily available air lines. Makes such a big difference when working. Sink too.
Copper air lines that is......
post #85 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Ah, so I'm in somewhat the same boat. The last shop I had built was located on a one acre lot (24' x 36' = 864 sq/ft). It was just about right for my needs/wants/desires. Now, I have a much much smaller lot to work with, and must necessarily make some compromises. My existing garage space is 18' x 20' = 360 sq/ft, which is totally unacceptable. I'm working with a contractor to add 5' of length to the existing structure, while also attaching a 16' x 18' = 288 sq/ft structure to the side (between the garage and the silly little garden shed).

That works out to roughly 750 sq/ft of usable space. I also want to make it look period appropriate for my '30's era house, so the contractor and I have convened many a head-scratching party to work out the details.

The thing I learned with this one is, while the 12 ft ceilings will be VERY nice, and will allow either straight lifts or storage lifts, the reality is, unless the structure is deeper than what I have it, it just is not going to flow right [I don't think]. It will do better once the boarding is on to give a horizontal line to the box but it think the height proportion is a bit too much.

To this end we are adding eyebrows to front and back to break up the mass and allow a horizontal perspective to return. Hopefully it will work.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #86 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, today was an interesting day. Started off at a funeral for Corporal William McMillan III who was killed July 8 in Iraq. I finally figured out a use for those big Mega Churches. They were nice enough to lend their facilities to the family for the service as their little church would not hold the thousands that showed up.

Also, Phelps appears to have been in town but was nowhere to be found. The drive from the church to the Camp Nelson National Cemetery was lined with folks much of the way. If Phelps showed, it was surely in the very background. He was neither at the church or the cemetery.

After all that I went back to the project. The guys were working away. It was a very good day. Shingles will go on tomorrow.

After seeing the garage from the pool perspective I had an idea. I have a friend who makes these very large signs and banners. I am going to get a blank to stretch across the side of the garage for Movie Nites at the Pool as soon as this thing gets done. Grill to the left, Deck to the right of the photo and movies til Midnight.

[the fence and shrub will be gone as soon as the garage is built]

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #87 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

I like your garbage can hider thingy. I need to do something like that.

post #88 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
That's not bad and seems to match nicely with the house.
I like the high ceiling and the overhanging eaves which has some
details in them from the pic.
What can you hide in the attic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post

Last edited by mlfun; 07-19-2008 at 09:21 PM.
post #89 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
PDR the Audi for cryin out loud.
post #90 of 293 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill View Post

I like your garbage can hider thingy. I need to do something like that.
Yeah, that's hiding the garbage, recycling and yard waste bins, as well as the composter. The Lutheran church next door gets a birds-eye view of those attractive and aromatic items
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in