Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
- Be skeptical of corporations. For example, adopt a "if we didn't say you can, you can't" mentality. Works great for motor sports.
- Empower individuals, and provide real incentives for them to do the right things / real disincentives for doing the wrong things.
- Focus on what's important first. Our shores and borders are important, and they're what contains AMERICANS. How about we protect them, then worry about all the overseas shit later - if we can afford it.
- The economy is complex. Make sure that smart, trustworthy people are watching the controls, and thinking long term about the consequences of their actions. As a general rule, it's okay to let gamblers fail; differentiate between the gambler, and the real investor. It's not hard. Buy & hold = investor; everyone else = gambler. People who try to get something for nothing, or who act with blatant irresponsibility, should live with the consequences. Make policy decisions accordingly.
- Compassion should be reserved for people who, through no fault of their own (and after exhausting every reasonable option and avenue), find themselves unable to keep going. Everyone else can tough it.
- Heinous crimes against children, once sentenced and appeals exhausted, should be immediately meritorious of a fast-track to death row. If you want to appeal, it should go straight to the highest court below the SCOTUS. Enough fucking around.
- Our civil justice system is broken; especially as it applies to medicine. Revamp it.
- Our medicine system is broken; especially as it applies to the underprivileged. Revamp it. Lots of surprisingly good models in unexpected places. We all eat and live like Henry VIII here. I'm somewhat fond of the German model. 8% of your salary, everyone is covered cradle to grave, with instant access 24/7 to providers. The simplicity alone would make it worthwhile.
- 5 year terms for elected office. Presidents get one term, congress can have two. Then your ass is gone.
- Lobbyists add no value to the people of the United States. Abolish them. They can stand in line with the rest of us for face time with elected officials. If yours isn't accessible, recall him.
- PAC's add no value to the people of the United States. Abolish them. Influence people, not politicians. If you can't manage that, your message is shit and shouldn't be heard.
Off my soap box for now.