post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nice freeware product...

...for IE7. IE7Pro - The Ultimate Add-On for Internet Explorer blocks ads and speeds the browser noticeably. Still not as fast as Firefox, but a big improvement.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I checked the link, I assumed it was going to be firefox.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Ha! Would that I were that clever. This really is a nice product though, if you're ever stuck using IE7 for whatever reason...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
@GS

It sounds like it has some attractive features. How long have you been running it? I ask because I'm wary of anything which might make IE7 unstable. A few months ago I was experiencing crashes where the error message always indicated a clash with some Adobe add-on.
I'm not familiar with the authors. Are they reputable?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
I don't use IE much, and I only installed the add-on yesterday. Google "ie7 pro" for lots of techy type feedback, also select the CNET link for end-user feedback. That was all the research I did before the install, and I couldn't find anyone with anything bad to say about it. Then again, IE7 is not my primary browser, so it's not as big a concern. Also, I use Ghost, and can undo any compatibility issue almost effortlessly, so again not as big a concern as it might be for some.

For my part, the product seems excellent and transforms what I consider a uselessly slow and cumbersome browser into something really quite pleasant. Here is a pretty convincing review:

Quote:
June 7, 2008 | IE7 Pro add-on plays nice with IE8 beta 1
By Jonathan Schlaffer

Some of you may be familiar with the IE7 Pro add-on for Internet Explorer but for those that aren’t it is very similar to the Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox. But, it does more than just bring ad-blocking to Internet Explorer.

Before I get ahead of myself on features there is one important note, IE7 Pro does indeed function flawlessly with IE8 beta 1 so despite its moniker you can continue to use it if you have installed the beta.

The latest version of IE7 Pro has some new features, in addition to the ones you may have grown accustomed to.

The new module is FasterIE, which probably works in a similar manner to Fasterfox (an add-on that increases page load speeds on Firefox – though this may increase the strain on the host – who cares?)

There is also a Session Manager function, Spell checker, Mini Download Manager, Privacy cleaner, Inline Search, Mouse Gestures and several other features that I’m sure you will find handy.

It’s a wonder Microsoft hasn’t absorbed the person(s) responsible for IE7 pro yet because this is what a browser is supposed to be. Actually, this makes IE7/IE8 pretty much what Firefox is and that’s what I and a lot of other people expect from a browser. IE7 pro brings it to Microsoft’s oh-so-lacking browser and makes it what it should be.

So go ahead, grab IE7 Pro for yourself, you may just find yourself dumping Firefox and enjoying your Internet Explorer experience. Now, if only those ActiveX security holes could be plugged.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

OK, that's good enough for me,I will install it later. Not sure about the Mouse Gesture though,can see that being irritating by mistake.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Plus, unlike a lot of plug-ins, such as the Adobe product you referred to, IE7 Pro can be easily uninstalled. And in regard to Mouse Gestures, you can enable/disable it as you like.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Thanks.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Well I installed it but IE doesn't seem to work any differently for me. It doesn't appear any faster (and I hadn't suffered any pop-ups anyway). However, I only got an icon in the lower bar,so maybe it didn't install correctly. It didn't show up in the program list either.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
GS, do you use that Fasterfox add on? If so, how does it do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in