BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
You really are Jayhawk's own personal aren't you?

Not surprisingly, Ed McMahon didn't see the foreclosure coming, either.
Hi Hoooooooo!!!!

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S420 Midnight Blue 113,000
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Jay? Jay who?

Be responsible
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
And here I thought it was bad form to masquerade around here under multiple identities...
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcunningham42 View Post
Well yes, I admit, I'm not a college teacher like you chaps, nor can I bloviate like you media types, but, I go to sleep happy and wake up happy that I live in this country. If you guys make it through Passport control at JFK, please stop by my midtown office and I'll buy you both drinks. (sorry, I forgot your breed distains alcohol).

By the way what is a "deposit in a schmuck"....if thats the same as making a Quarterly federal income tax payment, I already did that 6/15. (oh, but you wound'nt be aware of that, sorry)
Like mcbear, I can be there without any passport controls, yet. NY and the surrounding states don't have any such thing yet. Just a toll to get into NY but none to get out. Mcbear's selections sound good to me.

Ask one of your Jewish co-workers to show you where your Schmuck is and what kinds of deposits you are finding on yours. Like I said, I am not interested in a report from you. Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 07-11-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: quote button is fucked and needs manual override
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There seems to be some kind of bug in the quoting logic nowadays. That or you all forgot how to quote and are n00b h4x0rz.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:08 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
That or you all forgot how to quote and are n00b h4x0rz.
I was picturing a spittle fueled keyboard rattling frenzy of gamesmanship with little or no regard for post format.
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
There seems to be some kind of bug in the quoting logic nowadays. That or you all forgot how to quote and are n00b h4x0rz.
I must be a noob h4x0rz, since all I do is punch the quote button and don't check the code ......

Jim
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
It's the latter. One mistake up the line, and it repeats until any poster catches and fixes it.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I must be a noob .............

Jim
You mispelled that Jimbo... It should read "boob!"

Don't believe everything you think
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Bush could improve his legacy if he just followed in the footsteps on the current Iraqi President...........

Iraq handing out cash to people on the streets

BAGHDAD - It is a politician's dream: Handing out cold, hard cash to people on the street as they plead for help. Iraq's prime minister has been doing just that in recent weeks, doling out Iraqi dinars as an aide trails behind, keeping a tally.
ADVERTISEMENT

The handouts by Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and a handful of other top officials are authorized _ as long as each goes no higher than about $8,000, and the same people don't get them twice. Aides say they are meant merely to ease the pain a bit, and are motivated by a belief that better conditions will lead to more security.

The cash handouts are just one small _ if eye-catching _ part of a major investment push this summer by Iraq's government. The aim is to rebuild basic services and jumpstart Iraq's damaged economy by quickly distributing as much of the country's glut of oil revenue as possible.

U.S. officials and a fed-up American public are urging exactly that _ for Iraq to spend its own money, not America's, to rebuild the country now that violence has eased.

Yet the new Iraqi effort runs a high risk of failure: The government is disorganized, fears of favoritism remain and the shadow of corruption haunts every step.

"Money is not a problem," al-Maliki told a recent gathering of tribal chiefs in the southern city of Basra, after government forces had defeated Shiite extremists there. "But we must put it in honest hands to spend."

Despite such problems, Iraq's oil revenues, an estimated $70 billion this year, still provide the best chance of leveraging the country's fragile period of calm into something more lasting, many officials say.

Top U.S. commander Gen. David Petraeus has repeatedly called money a crucial weapon to lure neighborhoods from extremists and stabilize Iraq. The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, urged the government to pass out money even faster this week on a trip to devastated Mosul in the north.

The United States has been doling out cash itself, most effectively to former Sunni militants who switched sides to fight al-Qaida. The military has also provided money and assistance to projects like fixing damaged roads in the Shiite enclave of Sadr City after battles there.

Yet most recent big spending announcements have been Iraqi: $100 million to rebuild Sadr City; another $100 million to the Shiite city of Basra after fighting there; $100 million for another southern Shiite town, Amarah; and $83 million to help internal refugees return home.

It's unclear how fast the project money will actually get out. Past U.S. surveys have found Iraqi officials actually spent only tiny portions of the money they had allocated, often because of disorganization in government offices or a lack of technical know-how.

Also, discrepancies feed fears of favoritism. One violence-battered and needy northern province, Ninevah, which is mostly Sunni and Kurdish, has received only 20 percent of what the central government has promised, U.S. officials said this week.

Many of the provinces where al-Maliki, a Shiite, has recently pledged money are Shiite.

Yet there are signs of small improvement, other officials say. First Lt. Paul Horton, an assistant civil military operations officer in Diyala, a mixed area north of Baghdad, sees it in efforts to get government money to local farmers suffering from drought.

"We're starting to get a lot more attention and a lot more love," he said.

As for al-Maliki, Arab leaders have long used personal handouts to also gain political loyalty.

Most of the grants the prime minister gives out are only $200 to $400 to help those needing medical care, widows or people without jobs. On one recent visit to the riverside Abu Nawas park in Baghdad, he gave a group of boys each the equivalent of $40 in dinars to buy soccer balls. The biggest grants require documentation like letters from a hospital, his aides say.

On a trip last month to Amarah, an Associated Press reporter saw the prime minister approached by several supplicants during a meeting he was chairing of tribal sheiks. An aide from al-Maliki's office handed out cash at his direction, making each beneficiary sign a receipt.

Asked the reason for such handouts, a senior adviser to the prime minister, Sadiq al-Rikabi, said: "Citizens must realize that security is not just making the law prevail ... Reconstruction and jobs are a big part of it."

Iraq handing out cash to people on the streets - Yahoo! Philippines News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in