Picken's Plan: One Oil Billionaire’s Mission to Save America - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E320 BLUETEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb Picken's Plan: One Oil Billionaire’s Mission to Save America

IT'S TIME TO STOP AMERICA'S ADDICTION TO FOREIGN OIL

America is in a hole and it's getting deeper every day. We import 70% of our oil at a cost of $700 billion a year - four times the annual cost of the Iraq war.

I've been an oil man all my life, but this is one emergency we can't drill our way out of. But if we create a new renewable energy network, we can break our addiction to foreign oil.

On January 20, 2009, a new President gets sworn in. If we're organized, we can convince Congress to make major changes towards cleaner, cheaper and domestic energy resources.

To get this done, I need your help. Check out the plan. If you think it's worth fighting for, please join our effort.

AZ.Benz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The blades for many of these wind mills are being shipped through Houston, don't know where they are made, but they are absolutely enormous, and it is quite impressive to see them hauled by semi. There is an existing farm along I-10 in Abilene. Pickens, who thinks big, is going to build an enormous one that will stretch across four Panhandle counties.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E320 BLUETEC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
The blades for many of these wind mills are being shipped through Houston, don't know where they are made, but they are absolutely enormous, and it is quite impressive to see them hauled by semi. There is an existing farm along I-10 in Abilene. Pickens, who thinks big, is going to build an enormous one that will stretch across four Panhandle counties.
I see them too, right out my window heading west along I-10 which our dealership backs up to. Fantastic sight.

AZ.Benz
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Between solar and windfarms, might be time to start looking at some "worthless" desert land from here to Santa Fe.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
He's an old windbag, but he means well. Unfortunately, he is just trying to market his own business deals for the future. I don't begrudge him that, but IMO he is not being honest in either his presentation or his proposed solution. I would bet serious money that he will charge-off all his expenses for this campaign on his '08 tax returns as a business-related expense.

Don't believe everything you think
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
W. W. H. B.?

(What will Halliburton Do?)

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
He's an old windbag, but he means well. Unfortunately, he is just trying to market his own business deals for the future. I don't begrudge him that, but IMO he is not being honest in either his presentation or his proposed solution. I would bet serious money that he will charge-off all his expenses for this campaign on his '08 tax returns as a business-related expense.
That's $3Billion Windbag. He has made a pretty good living making the right decisions in the energy field.

And he was one of the first to call that oil had peaked and production potential was on the down slide.

I really respect a guy who, at 77 is so forward looking. He is punching the envelop for his kids and grandkids and their kids, not just kicking back and living on the last decade or so of the OIL era. That shows some serious balls [and the brains to call the shots].

We need a bunch more like him.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
That's $3Billion Windbag. He has made a pretty good living making the right decisions in the energy field.

And he was one of the first to call that oil had peaked and production potential was on the down slide.

I really respect a guy who, at 77 is so forward looking. He is punching the envelop for his kids and grandkids and their kids, not just kicking back and living on the last decade or so of the OIL era. That shows some serious balls [and the brains to call the shots].

You buying that shit too bear? As I said, it is just another business decision, and I would bet serious money that he will charge-off all his expenses for this campaign on his '08 tax returns as a business-related expense.

Don't believe everything you think
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

Jay's just jealous that KU doesn't have a nice rich sugar daddy like OSU does in T. Boone.

T. Boone Pickens donates $100M to OSU | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News
STILLWATER, Okla. -- A day before his 80th birthday, Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens gave Oklahoma State University one of its biggest presents ever.

The billionaire energy magnate said Wednesday he has given $100 million to his alma mater for endowed chairs, the largest gift for academics ever given in the state. A law mandates that the state match dollar-for-dollar such donations for endowed chairs, in effect doubling Pickens' gift.

"This is a fantastic, historic day for the university and for the state of Oklahoma," Oklahoma State President Burns Hargis told a crowd of about 2,000 people gathered on the lawn of the university's Edmon Low Library. "This is a gift that will transform this university in ways never dreamed of before."

Pickens has made previous gifts to Oklahoma State through the years that have totaled more than $300 million, and he said Wednesday he will provide more money for the university in the future.

"Be patient. I'm not through," he said. "There will be more."

Moments later, a large banner reading "Thank You, Boone Happy Birthday" was unveiled from atop the library. The water in the library's fountain also had been dyed orange.

Pickens said his goal was to make the university competitive with other educational institutions.

The land-grant university now has 101 fully funded and matched chairs and professorships, and Hargis said Pickens' gift will endow 150 more such positions across the university's academic community.

"Boone's gift will allow us to retain and attract extraordinary faculty members," Hargis said. "... This gift will allow us to fulfill our land-grant mission."

Pickens is a native of Holdenville — a southeastern Oklahoma town he mentioned numerous times on Wednesday — and a former wildcatter who now heads the Dallas-based hedge fund BP Capital Management LP.

Gov. Brad Henry, who attended the announcement ceremony, called Pickens "truly an Oklahoma treasure."

University officials said the $100 million is nearly double the largest non-bequest donation to any U.S. university so far in 2008. The University of Texas received a $55 million gift earlier this year.

OSU faculty council chairman Bob Miller looked almost moved to tears of joy when speaking about the gift.

"Your gift clearly demonstrates ... to the members of the OSU faculty the genuine confidence you have in our abilities to do remarkable things in our research and scholarly activities," Miller said while addressing Pickens. "This gift challenges each and every member of the faculty to further excellence."

The previous largest academic gift ever made to an Oklahoma university is thought to be the $70 million given to Oral Roberts University by Mart Green, the founder of the Christian office and educational supply store chain Mardel. Green gave the private Tulsa university the final $62 million installment of the gift on Jan. 30.

The largest such gift ever previously received by a state university in Oklahoma was announced on Feb. 11, when the Tulsa-based George Kaiser Family Foundation said it would give $50 million to the University of Oklahoma. That gift will allow the College of Medicine at OU's Tulsa campus to have the nation's first officially named School of Community Medicine.

OU also received a gift of French Impressionist art valued at just under $50 million in 2000 from the estate of Clara Weitzenhoffer.

In January 2006, Pickens gave a $165 million gift to the university's athletic department, and at the time was criticized by some for not giving a similar sum toward Oklahoma State's academic efforts.

He said Wednesday that he gave to the athletic department first because it offered "more bang for the buck," but that he always intended to make a sizable gift toward Oklahoma State's academic mission at some point.

"Burns is a very persuasive guy," Pickens said of Oklahoma State's newly installed president. "I didn't plan on doing this (now), but when we made the gift three years ago, I said I'd be back."

Pickens, who earned a degree in geology from Oklahoma State in 1951, also pledged in 2003 to give $70 million to Oklahoma State, including $20 million to kick-start a campaign to expand the university's football stadium.

Included in that gift was a pledge of $15 million, to be generated by Pickens' stadium trust fund for scholarships, and $35 million in his will to fund more scholarships and other athletic programs.

While the state is to match donations for endowed chairs under its program, there is a $124 million backlog of donations that program has yet to match.

Legislative leaders and Henry agreed on a bond issue late Wednesday that includes $100 million to catch up on the backlog at universities throughout the state.

In 2007, Pickens announced he would donate $50 million to the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas with the agreement that the institution would turn that gift into $500 million over the next 25 years.

That same year, he announced a donation of $6 million for the Jubilee Park community near Fair Park, where crime and poverty have been issues.

In February, Pickens announced a $10 million donation to the Museum of Nature & Science for its new 150,000-square-foot facility in Victory Park.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
You buying that shit too bear? As I said, it is just another business decision, and I would bet serious money that he will charge-off all his expenses for this campaign on his '08 tax returns as a business-related expense.
He is at a point in his life that deductions are an irrelevant detail. At his age, if he is venturing into a new frontier, it has to be from the heart and brain, not the pocketbook. He doesn't need an impact to his net worth. Everything that I see tells me that it is genuine.

Forward thinking is a good thing. We are starting to see many of the most successful folks lining up and moving in a very progressive, forward thinking way. You can tell they see turmoil and are doing what they can to make it right in the long view.

So yeah, I am buying it. Of course, I have had money in alternative energy for a bit of time now. Not exactly a follower.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in