LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Timelines, We don't need no Stinkin' Timelines!!!

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

By SALLY BUZBEE

(AP) U.S. Army Sgt. John Orem, right, and Staff Sgt. Eric Atkinson, left, from 4th Squadron, 2nd...
Full Image

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraq's national security adviser said Tuesday his country will not accept any security deal with the United States unless it contains specific dates for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces.

The comments by Mouwaffak al-Rubaie were the strongest yet by an Iraqi official about the deal now under negotiation with U.S. officials. They came a day after Iraq's prime minister first said publicly that he expects the pending troop deal with the United States to have some type of timetable for withdrawal.

President Bush has said he opposes a timetable. The White House said Monday it did not believe Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki was proposing a rigid timeline for U.S. troop withdrawals.

U.S. officials had no immediate comment Tuesday on al-Rubaie's statement.

Al-Rubaie spoke to reporters after briefing Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Najaf on the progress of the government's security efforts and the talks.

"Our stance in the negotiations underway with the American side will be strong ... We will not accept any memorandum of understanding that doesn't have specific dates to withdraw foreign forces from Iraq," al-Rubaie said.

He provided no details. But Ali al-Adeeb, a Shiite lawmaker and a prominent official in the prime minister's party, told The Associated Press that Iraq was linking the timetable proposal to the ongoing handover of various provinces to Iraqi control.

The Iraqi proposal stipulates that, once Iraqi forces have resumed security responsibility in all 18 of Iraq's provinces, U.S.-led forces would then withdraw from all cities in the country.

After that, the country's security situation would be reviewed every six months, for three to five years, to decide when U.S.-led troops would pull out entirely, al-Adeeb said.

So far, the United States has handed control of nine of 18 provinces to Iraqi officials.

"This is what the Iraqi people want, the parliament and other Iraqi leaders," said al-Adeeb.

The proposal, as outlined by al-Adeeb, is phrased in a way that would allow Iraqi officials to tell the Iraqi public that it includes a specific timetable and dates for a U.S. withdrawal.

However, it also would provide the United States some flexibility on timing because the dates of the provincial handovers are not set.

Some type of troop status agreement between the United States and Iraq is needed to keep U.S. troops in Iraq after a U.N. mandate expires at year's end.

Iraq's government has felt increasingly confident in recent weeks about its authority and the country's improved stability. Iraqi officials have sharpened their public stance in the negotiations considerably in just the last few days.

Violence in Iraq has fallen to its lowest level in four years. The change has been driven by the 2007 buildup of American forces, the Sunni tribal revolt against al-Qaida in Iraq and crackdowns against Shiite militias and Sunni extremists.

In northern Baghdad Tuesday, guards opened fire, wounding 13 people when a crowd seeking aid payments for the poor, widows, orphans and disabled people became unruly, Iraqi officials said.

The U.S. military said a soldier had died from injuries sustained when a roadside bomb hit a troop convoy in Baghdad.

The U.S. military says five other soldiers were wounded in Tuesday's attack in the western Baghdad neighborhood of Amiriyah.

---------__

Associated Press reporters Qassim Abdul-Zahra in Baghdad and Abdul-Hussein al-Obeidi in Najaf contributed to this report.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
You do have to wonder why Drudge pulled the Red banner headline where the US told Iraq to go fish. Hmmmmm. It will show up.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You do have to wonder why Drudge pulled the Red banner headline where the US told Iraq to go fish. Hmmmmm. It will show up.
Actually, a party that snatches the initiative toward independence, when that is the goal of both parties, usually does well. The message from that party is, "I've had it with your doting on me. I can take care of myself. I'm a big person now and I don't need your help." And, you know that the party declaring independence is agreeing to be responsible for their results.

Hooray for Iraqis.

Now which of you BWOT libbers consider this bad news again? Sorry, sometimes I get weak and lose control.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Actually, a party that snatches the initiative toward independence, when that is the goal of both parties, usually does well. The message from that party is, "I've had it with your doting on me. I can take care of myself. I'm a big person now and I don't need your help." And, you know that the party declaring independence is agreeing to be responsible for their results.

Hooray for Iraqis.

Now which of you BWOT libbers consider this bad news again? Sorry, sometimes I get weak and lose control.
Um...you don't get it. We consider it GREAT news. Apparently Dubya and McCain are the ones who don't get it either.

The Irony of this being on Fox is just too much.

Fox Forum

What Part of ‘No’ Does the Bush Administration Not Understand?

By Ellen Ratner
Bureau Chief, Talk Radio News Service/FOX News Political Contributor

During the past two days we have seen the Bush administration dancing around the issue that Iraq is going to push for troop withdrawal. President Bush and John McCain are unwilling to set a timetable but the Iraqis are most likely going to want numbers and dates. On Monday, Prime Minister al Maliki spoke of troop withdrawal in a meeting in Abu Dhabi. Today, the country’s security adviser said the same thing to reporters in Iraq.

Both the State Department and the Pentagon are tap dancing — talking about this being dependent on the situation on the ground. Maybe the words were transcribed incorrectly…

But Prime Minister al Maliki could not have been clearer. He was so clear that the press in the United Emirates reported on his demands in much greater detail, which the press in the United States completely missed. The National, a newspaper in the UAE, reported that Prime Minister al-Maliki said, “This means the phenomena of unilateral detention will be over, as well as unilateral operations and immunity.” In addition, Maliki is reported to have said that there needs to be a timetable for the presence of the forces, “so that we know [their presence] will end in a specific time.” How much clearer can the man be?

The White House can try and put lipstick on this pig any way they want but it is crystal clear that Iraq not only wants the United States to begin to withdraw troops but they want no more locking up of Iraqi citizens by U.S. forces and no more free passes for contractors such as Blackwater.

As an American ambassador in the Mideast told me several years ago “be careful what you wish for” — as it relates to one person, one vote democracy. Why? Because, he went on to say, we might not like what we get.

Bush got his wish and regime change happened in Iraq, a government was elected but we might not like what we got.

What Part of ‘No’ Does the Bush Administration Not Understand? « FOX Forum « FOXNews.com

McBear,
Kentucky

Last edited by mcbear; 07-08-2008 at 03:05 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Now we have al Maliki and his shiny new Democrazy in Iraq. And apparently they are all that bothered with Iran, their neighbors to the East. Yet they seem to be tiring of the occupation forces of you know who.

Wonder if Bushie's cunning plan really expected ANY of this. Wait, that suggests there was a plan to begin with. HA!

Good thing McCain isn't hooking his future to Bushie's Foreign Policies or Iraq Doctrine...wait, what? And it's on Video. Oops.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
At one time in history, the capital of the Persian Empire actually was Baghdad.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
At one time in history, the capital of the Persian Empire actually was Baghdad.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
And that was much more recent than Israel's claim to Palestine. Maybe since we are so bent on restoring ancient states why not grant Iran "it's right" to the land?
Can we have a timeline on that?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Um...you don't get it. We consider it GREAT news. Apparently Dubya and McCain are the ones who don't get it either.

The Irony of this being on Fox is just too much.

Fox Forum

What Part of ‘No’ Does the Bush Administration Not Understand?

By Ellen Ratner
Bureau Chief, Talk Radio News Service/FOX News Political Contributor

What Part of ‘No’ Does the Bush Administration Not Understand? « FOX Forum « FOXNews.com
Getting news from Fox again? Apparently you are unfamiliar with Ellen Ratner's politics.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Getting news from Fox again? Apparently you are unfamiliar with Ellen Ratner's politics.
If you had bothered to look you would know that I get my news from about 30 sources daily. Very familiar with Ratner's work. Your point?

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
If you had bothered to look you would know that I get my news from about 30 sources daily. Very familiar with Ratner's work. Your point?
Since you don't undertand euphemisms, irony may be equally difficult for you.

Let's see: Ratner + Timeline story/ Fox news= Irony. Doesn't compute.

She's a frequent guest on Fox. Nothing ironic there. Another miss.

I might have to complain to Roger about having too many liberals on Fox.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in