What Web browser do you use to surf the pages of BenzWorld? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: What Web browser do you use to surf the pages of BenzWorld?
Internet Explorer 9 32.14%
Firefox 13 46.43%
Other 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
online operations? on BWOT? who do you work for? Rove?
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Been quite happy with Safari 3. I can't believe the hubbub over Firefox 3, then again, I don't use IE at all, so maybe that's the appeal. It's laid out pretty stupid; way too tough to get to commonly changed settings (like proxies, etc), and the updates aren't done very elegantly.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1984 300sd turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a better poll would be what OS do you use? I use Slackware Linux. Now one might think IE is better then Firefox but lets compare bang for buck. I haven't paid for any software in at least ten years. My HP printer and scanner all work fine and I have a firewall and the file system on Linux is immune to virus attacks. And, as my wife said when she first used Linux, "this is great it does what I want. It even shuts down when I want it to."

I read and play dvd's, make my own dvd's of my home movies and do everything that you pay big bucks for in the MS world. You know there is a reason that Gates is one of the richest men in the world. He has your money.

Long Live the GNU!!!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 190SL
Originally Posted by ArkRoyal View Post
. . . I read and play dvd's, make my own dvd's of my home movies and do everything that you pay big bucks for in the MS world. You know there is a reason that Gates is one of the richest men in the world. He has your money.

Long Live the GNU!!!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
i'm currently useing Linux ubuntu, not by choice. Its the only OS that will run on my damaged hard drive. Guess i will have to suffer for now.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
one day I will buy a computer.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
one day I will buy a computer.
First copper. Now computers. It's a long and slippery slope.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Cruise Control
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon/'01 EV Weekender
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
July 6, 2008 2:44 PM PDT
Still more reasons to avoid Internet Explorer
Posted by Michael Horowitz

A few recent stories highlighted a bedrock of Defensive Computing - if you surf the web on a Windows computer, you are safer using Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer.

On June 26th at ZDNet Ryan Naraine wrote about a new bug in Internet Explorer (Zero-day flaw haunts Internet Explorer) for which Microsoft has no fix/patch. A few days later, he documented how the bad guys were exploiting this bug (Exploit code released for unpatched IE 7 vulnerability). That story starts with "Another day, another gaping hole affecting fully patched versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser." We've been down this road before.

The original source for stories about this particular bug is US-CERT Vulnerability Note VU#516627 which says the bug affects IE6, IE7 and even the beta edition of the upcoming IE8. A trifecta.

Bring up the rear, IE6 suffers from another new bug for which there isn't yet a fix. Gregg Keizer wrote about this on June 26th at ComputerWorld (Researchers warn of IE6 zero-day bug).

Do you follow tech news? Were you aware of these new unpatched bugs in Internet Explorer? Have we gotten so used to IE bugs that they're barely news?

Old Versions of Software

Unpatched bugs in the latest version of software are bad enough. Then, there's the problem of not even using the latest and greatest version.

A recent survey, described by Robert Vamosi at CNET found "...637 million Web users are surfing with outdated Internet browsers..." That's just asking for trouble at a time when simply viewing a web page can infect a computer.

Many computer users are non-techies and the self-updating system for software needs to take them into consideration in choosing defaults, error messages and status messages.

Firefox does an excellent job of updating itself, Internet Explorer does not. The survey found many IE users running old versions of the browser, moreso than other browsers. For example, Firefox defaults to opening up a window telling the user that there is a new version, what the new version is, and asking for permission to install it. Internet Explorer doesn't come close to being that user-friendly.

Not only is the Firefox self-updating system well designed, it benefits from only having to update Firefox. Internet Explorer is udpated as part of Windows Update and Microsoft Update and thus lives in a bigger more complicated, more intimidating system. Microsoft uses this system to update Windows, IE, the .NET frameworks, Office, it's Defender anti-malware software and who knows what else.

One of the many problems with the Microsoft update environment is the schedule. Firefox has no schedule, Internet Explorer does. Or rather, Microsoft does. Big companies need a schedule. Microsoft has argued many times that having a schedule for releasing bug fixes is a good thing.

Perhaps it is a good thing for the big companies that Microsoft caters to - but it's not a good thing for you and me. The net result is that Microsoft releases Internet Explorer bug fixes once a month. Mozilla releases Firefox bug fixes when they're ready.

Which do you prefer?
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Attached Images

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: