post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Garage is Started

Well, after a couple of months of putting it off and delays, the garage actually broke ground yesterday. I got the backhoe and started digging. The bobcat guy came and we had everything laid out and dug in six hours. [roots].

So, house is painted, tile laid, hardwood re-stained and poly'd AGAIN, pool plastered and moving occurs next weekend. Last thing to start was the garage and then wrap with the redone driveway after all the trucks are gone.

Best part is no trees have to be downed for the garage and we fit in the zoning/planning of the neighborhood at 1020sqft. A bit smaller than I wanted but with 12 ft ceilings, it will hold lifts so it is possible to hold eight cars if necessary. I am planning on setting it up for 5 only. 500E, 500E, 560SEC, 280SE Coupe [1968] and 240Z [which you can pretty much hang on the wall]

YEAH!!!

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I see a champagne (sparkling non alcohol grape juice) celebration when you get that project done! All your regional buddies will attend. Maybe I can get Rebecca back to town for that event...

Last edited by gerkebi; 07-03-2008 at 09:12 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have a lighting plan yet? I have some recommendations depending on what you will be doing in there. Also it may sound funny but I have carpeted my garage this year and absolutely love it. I used a indoor/outdoor carpet and it is a lot better then the floor systems I have seen (no slipping on that) .My girls hang out in there and watch t.v. it is like a fourth living room. It appears a lot cleaner as well. You don't see all the little dust bunnies floating around. Let me know if you need any suggestions. Joel

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
Do you have a lighting plan yet? I have some recommendations depending on what you will be doing in there. Also it may sound funny but I have carpeted my garage this year and absolutely love it. I used a indoor/outdoor carpet and it is a lot better then the floor systems I have seen (no slipping on that) .My girls hang out in there and watch t.v. it is like a fourth living room. It appears a lot cleaner as well. You don't see all the little dust bunnies floating around. Let me know if you need any suggestions. Joel
Since it will be a working shop it will have Florescent tubing in both the ceiling and in the walls in the "work bay". I will have skylights for additional ambient.

I am afraid the floor will have to stay concrete. Working on older cars is just too messy for anything with a nice surface. Something is always peeing on the floor at the wrong time and I can't imagine dealing with welding and carpet [do you smell something burning???].

Restoration on the 68 280SE will be starting nearly as soon as the garage is done. I am seriously considering a VERY alternative power supply for that ride.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ Grinning ear to ear, this is great news - I'm pumped for ya!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
Oh, I see a champagne (sparkling non alcohol grape juice) celebration when you get that project done! All your regional buddies will attend. Maybe I can get Rebecca back to town for that event...
Yes, that is the plan. I was hoping to get it for the Keeneland Concours in August but found out yesterday that the Concours is in the next two weeks. I don't know why but I managed to be out of that loop and did not get the info. So neither the garage, the open house nor I are Fn ready. So now it looks like Fall Keeneland Racing Meet.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Congrats! I know how you feel quite literally. Stained concrete is the way to go with old cars. There are too many reasons to list but something is always leaking as you say. I would do more than fluorescent if you are going to show off any cars BTW. Cans or track lighting make cars look good, fluorescents can make anything look like shit. Are you going to heat or a/c it?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Hydraulic lift or electric?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Congrats! I know how you feel quite literally. Stained concrete is the way to go with old cars. There are too many reasons to list but something is always leaking as you say. I would do more than fluorescent if you are going to show off any cars BTW. Cans or track lighting make cars look good, fluorescents can make anything look like shit. Are you going to heat or a/c it?
I am going to start with heat for winter [it gets to 17 below here] and decide on AC next year. We have a very nice potential unit to install and wired in 200amp circuits with its own drop from the pole so there are no power issues.

Right now the garage is more for work/storage than showcase. That is going to be "roll out on the lawn" at this time. And with the black/199 and bornite, NO lighting makes them look good except daylight.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Hydraulic lift or electric?
I have a very nice three phase electric lift that was at the BMW dealer before they remodeled. I might do that one but it requires 8" of concrete. I also looked at a very nice duel use four poster unit that can be used to store a car should I decide to retask it. That is driven by the 220 compressor.

Right now I am thinking of having the right rear of the shop poured at 8" depth so I can put the big lift in if I decide to and keep my options open.

Nice part with this contractor is that he is willing to wing it up until the last second with no additional costs above the fixed price [unless I decide something stupid expensive]. I have known him for 35 years and he has been doing this for 30. I knew his wife before he did which keeps him on his toes.

McBear,
Kentucky

Last edited by mcbear; 07-03-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in