Time to Replace the Weber Genesis Propane Gas Grill - What's Out There? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim - I'm busting your chops over the fuel more than anything. I wouldn't recommend anything propane-based. Drew hit it on the head; a charcoal chimney (cheap enough to be disposable but last at least a couple of years each) will start coals easily, free of lighter fluid. Use the right charcoal and there's very little waste. Get a decent model and it could be the last you ever buy. A lot more versatile than gas alone. If ALL you do is burgers & dogs or shish kebabs, maybe some brats, then gas is as good as anything else.

Think of a propane grill as an outdoor microwave - it heats, but doesn't really cook in the true sense of the word. You can't get the temperature range and control with propane that you can with charcoal and wood.

I'm willing to put my meat up against anyone's. But I digress; we were talking about BBQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Jim - I'm busting your chops over the fuel more than anything. I wouldn't recommend anything propane-based. Drew hit it on the head; a charcoal chimney (cheap enough to be disposable but last at least a couple of years each) will start coals easily, free of lighter fluid. Use the right charcoal and there's very little waste. Get a decent model and it could be the last you ever buy. A lot more versatile than gas alone. If ALL you do is burgers & dogs or shish kebabs, maybe some brats, then gas is as good as anything else.

Think of a propane grill as an outdoor microwave - it heats, but doesn't really cook in the true sense of the word. You can't get the temperature range and control with propane that you can with charcoal and wood.

I'm willing to put my meat up against anyone's. But I digress; we were talking about BBQ.
Disagree............ Proper set up an propane / Natural gas grill will cook wayeee better than that damn meesy assed charcoal smog maker .......

It is easy to control the temp and get near perfect results everytime with much less bullshit to deal with and No it is Not like a Microwave in any way or form.

I line the entire inside of the grill with Lava rocks and then depending on what I am cooking I may put some applewood in with it or maple...... maybe some red wine on the hot rocks to induce a awesome flavor the list just goes on.... can you do that with that messy black sooty charcoal crap? Bleeh! think not.

Here are just a few pictures from the many that have been done on the Propane unit.... That gets used Year around with great results

If you are just going to do burgers and simple cooking get one of them messy charcoal burning devices........

If ya gotta have a Charcoal burnner get the Green Egg.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00266.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	183747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00271.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	183748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00219.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	183752   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00218.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	183753   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00265.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	183754  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00205.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	183755   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00180.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	183757   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00204.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	183759  
post #23 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Had a Weber charcoal grill for years, then thought I was trading "up" to a Genesis 3 burner propane Weber. Jeez, I guess I got it wrong. I like the gas grill though, quick and a lot less messy. I cook mostly steaks, burgers, some fish and some hot dogs. An occasional beer chicken too.

I will go check out the better Webers at a local gardening store that carries their "Premium" models. The Napoleon dealer is 50 miles away, and they don't deliver. I have to go get it or pay $80 bucks to have it delivered.

Well, I will keep looking. Craig's list is without anything of interest and eBay is the shits now with the shipping costs.

Jim
post #24 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C240-Retired
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
$4560.00

I'd buy it....

BBQ Pits

Mercedes Benz, enough said.
post #25 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Jim, if you want to really treat yourself to the last grill you should ever need to buy, look no further than this.

Hasty-Bake - Charcoal Grills, Charcoal Grill, Built In Charcoal Grills, Built In Charcoal Grill, charcoal smokers, charcoal smoker, barbecue grills, barbecue grill, portable charcoal grills, portable charcoal grill

Expect to spend around $1,000 - it will do everything and anything you want, from smoking, to baking, to grilling, to searing - direct, indirect, you name it. You can put a turkey on it (two, actually), or 8 racks of ribs, or about a dozen burgers at a time (at least the size I make 'em). It'll open you up to a new world of cooking. I certainly understand if you wouldn't, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least let you know about this fine piece of equipment.

Alternately, I was given a budget of $250 to get a grill for my office (I do cookouts for the building once a month, feeding about 60 - 70 people). I ultimately settled on this from Lowe's, and it works pretty well. The charcoal tray is adjustable giving you some temp control, although it gets VERY hot being thin sheet metal, making it a little tougher to do low-temp stuff that needs to cook for a long time (one side will get too hot). Cleans up pretty easy. They'll build it for you at Lowe's for free.

Stainless Steel Charcoal Grill

You can opt out of the stainless, since it's mostly cosmetic, and save about $50 I think. This would be the other direction - get something that uses charcoal fuel, but that is more versatile than gas and inexpensive enough to be disposable. It's a fairly heavy unit, I'd expect to get several years out of it if you take care of it (keep it covered, empty the ash regularly).
post #26 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
jim's ideal barbarcue grill

Jim,

I bought a Kamado mosaic grill many years ago which has held up beautifully. Best cooking and best looking quality grill, that looks like a piece of yard art. Price is approx $800 now for my #5 size that I own.

Look at:
Kamado – gas, charcoal and electric barbecue

It uses natural lump charcoal that I buy at Walmart. Fires up quick with a attached propane tank that lights the charcoal quick. By the way, natural charcoal has a nice taste, better, in my opinion, than gas alone. Natural lump charcoal doesn't have all the chemicals that briquets do.

I live in Florida and stainless steel grills all rust here and need upkeep. This grill is made with mosaic tiles on the outside, and looks like a kiln. Just rinse it off. Do order it with the stainless upgrade. Built like a tank. Weighs a ton, and nobody will ever steel it. I've left it outside in mild hurricanes.

Good luck.
post #27 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLR View Post
Disagree............ Proper set up an propane / Natural gas grill will cook wayeee better than that damn meesy assed charcoal smog maker .......

It is easy to control the temp and get near perfect results everytime with much less bullshit to deal with and No it is Not like a Microwave in any way or form.

I line the entire inside of the grill with Lava rocks and then depending on what I am cooking I may put some applewood in with it or maple...... maybe some red wine on the hot rocks to induce a awesome flavor the list just goes on.... can you do that with that messy black sooty charcoal crap? Bleeh! think not.

Here are just a few pictures from the many that have been done on the Propane unit.... That gets used Year around with great results

If you are just going to do burgers and simple cooking get one of them messy charcoal burning devices........

If ya gotta have a Charcoal burnner get the Green Egg.......
Disagree all you want. I've had up to three grills on the back patio, including gas, at one time. They're all gone after I got my Hasty Bake.

Propane grills at even their hottest setting don't come close to the heat produced by hardwood lump charcoal, to say nothing of the fact I can bring the heat box up to where it's nearly touching the grill. This is crucial for doing steaks the right way - sear first, then finish at a lower temp, then rest 5 minutes off-heat. Like I said, I'll put my cooking up against anyone else's.

If your experience with charcoal grilling involves the term "Kingsford" or something like it, well, you're doing it wrong. Not all charcoal is the same. Kingsford is terrible for anything but hamburgers. It doesn't get hot enough for steaks, it leaves too much ash (impurities), it doesn't impart a particularly great taste.

Hardwood lump charcoal lights quick, burns hot, leaves little ash, and imparts a great flavor to anything being cooked.

I can do everything you mentioned, plus some things you can't do. Pouring wine over lava rocks isn't cooking, it's making a mess.

If you want to grill year round, either move to where the weather doesn't suck for 6 months straight, or get gas - I have no problem with that. It's certainly convenient. But don't tell me it's not a microwave, where you just put food in and press a button. That's all it is. I cook outside on my charcoal grill in winter, because I love it. In fact, I love food way too much to approach it's preparation the nonchalance that accompanies convenience. Or, in other words, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

P.S. It's not tough to convince me to cook, by the way. Might keep that in mind if anyone's passing through.
post #28 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Like JLo, I have Napoleon too and I can't be happier. It is 5 years old now and still as good as new.

Napoleon Gourmet Grills: Prestige II PT450RBI

The burners run front to back, with the two on the side wrapping around at the back (like the small case 'm') as opposed to side to side like the Weber Genesis. The layout allows larger area for indirect cooking (very important for me as I slow cook a lot of big meats), but also the heat output, when needed, is plenty at full blast. One issue I have with the Weber gas grills is their lid design. Granted, grills are top heavy. Heavy lids are desirable to radiate heat from the top, but with the Webers, they are too heavy and the hinge is in the wrong place. When opened, some Webers become downright unstable, because the center of gravity shifts so much towards the back of the grill, and it is especially disaster-prone on windy days. I've seen a Weber topple at BBQ party when the host was about to serve.

Don't get anything from big box stores if you are looking for something that you expect to last for the next 10 years. Even if the badge on the lid of the grill may be of some known name brand, the big box versions, as opposed to the same brand sold at dedicated dealers, are licensed production and use thinner gauges and lighter grates, and stainless steel components might be of lesser grade than the 304.

QBN's snobbery is at it again but I do agree with some of the points he's making.

One reason I went Napoleon: you can use charcoal with some of their models - get a tray that replaces one section of flavorizer bar and fill it wih charcoal. I also use the tray for smoking; instead of small wood chips, get a hetfy chunk so it can impart smoke flavor over extended period of time or really generate smoke if I want it heavily smoked.
most of the time, I like the convenience of gas fuel.

Don't let stainless steel clad grills fool your decision, stick with porcelain enamel lid and exterior - you are paying 25 to 40% premium on something that is not going to have any effect on the taste of the food it serves.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Last edited by Naomilla2.0; 06-22-2008 at 09:08 AM.
post #29 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quote:
Or, in other words, anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Since you are a stickler for doing things the right way, I recommend that next time you shit, pick each fold of anus with a toothpick as opposed to smearing it with a toilet paper, particularly the linty kind (Charmin, i.e.) that leaves little shitty fuzz all around one's anus. Finish off with a cotton swab especially formulated for cleaning cassette tape heads (the fuzzless kind) lightly moistened with rubbing alcohol. You will feel firsthand that the job was done right.

Quote:
P.S. It's not tough to convince me to cook, by the way. Might keep that in mind if anyone's passing through.
Might take up on the offer, though I will steer clear of anything served on toothpicks or skewers

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #30 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0 View Post
Since you are a stickler for doing things the right way, I recommend that next time you shit, pick each fold of anus with a toothpick as opposed to smearing it with a toilet paper, particularly the linty kind (Charmin, i.e.) that leaves little shitty fuzz all around one's anus. Finish off with a cotton swab especially formulated for cleaning cassette tape heads (the fuzzless kind) lightly moistened with rubbing alcohol. You will feel firsthand that the job was done right.

Might take up on the offer, though I will steer clear of anything served on toothpicks or skewers
How long to stay in the toilet cleaning your anus Nao?
Mine smells like peanut butter and takes me like less than a minute but then again I have a large dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in