LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One thing I have to say about Vista

It sucks!!!!!

There you have it. This should give you enough idea what O/S to get with your new puter.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau View Post
It sucks!!!!!

There you have it. This should give you enough idea what O/S to get with your new puter.
Actually, it is OK OS.

It is a freaking resource hog though.

What really pissed me off was the fact that M$ had it for so many years in development only to come out with nothing, I mean absolutely nothing new in terms of the features and yet was brave enough to push it on us as if there was no alternative.

There never was a new OS, M$ or not, with no new features whatsoever.

Before Vista.

Dell had to go back and offer both Vista and XP preinstalled.

Eric, the real answer is it depends.

It is not your line of business.

You will need support sooner or later.

Take whatever is cost-effective for you.

Vista Home is all right. Vista Ultimate is the best Vista.

I have XP Pro SP2 on all my PCs, but it's me. I can take care of any problem, software or hardware, I can configure OS and my apps to perform flawlessly.

I was honored by some members of this board as being called an expert (not in this thread )

There will be new OS sometime in the future.

Meanwhile, see it as a tool, not a goal.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All of above is true

1st it depends on what hardware you are going to cram in the box from video card to type of interface for the hard drive along with type of memory, I have seen 4 gig of DDR3XC out perform 8 gig of standard DDR memory..

It is very dependant on type of motherboard installed and yes of course the processor (I have a Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz LGA775 1333MHz w/ 12mb) That absolutly screams running Vista ultimate in 64 bit... down side is many websites just plain do not perform in 64 bit so have to step back down ti 32 bit for them.

as for hard drive size why crap! the price of 500 gig is less then 80 bucks more than a 150 gig so why choke on such a small hard drive?

with the wrong hardware vista can really blow..... I still run Window 2000pro on one of my machines! and Xp pro on another....

Again it is very dependant on what you plan to do .......
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
I am going to buy a new computer in Hong kong, but what is the best version of Vista? And which computer would you recommend? I need at least 160GB to hold all the Benz and BMW programmes, thanks.
The best version of Vista is called "Mac OS X Tiger". The best version of Windows is called "Windows XP". You CAN still get it, just not at stores.

Good luck.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
If that is true, I will stand corrected (and even wear the idiot tag). It is my understanding that XP will not recognize more than 2G of ram. I was told that in a very matter-of-fact fashion by a local techie type in a hole-in-the-wall repair facility in town that contracts with large businesses. He was so confident and certain of his descriptions of XP vs. Vista (he had no real preference), I never thought to question him. I do know that it's rare (I would have thought unheard of) to find XP on a piece of hardware that can manage more than 2G ram.
An unusual, momentary lapse by Ron. I'm wondering if someone in a van down by the river told you this, if you'd believe it...is failing to "consider the source" a sign of impending senility?
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
An unusual, momentary lapse by Ron. I'm wondering if someone in a van down by the river told you this, if you'd believe it...is failing to "consider the source" a sign of impending senility?
The guy builds and repairs PCs and network systems for a living. Why would I doubt him?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Quote:
If that is true, I will stand corrected (and even wear the idiot tag). It is my understanding that XP will not recognize more than 2G of ram. I was told that in a very matter-of-fact fashion by a local techie type in a hole-in-the-wall repair facility in town that contracts with large businesses. He was so confident and certain of his descriptions of XP vs. Vista (he had no real preference), I never thought to question him. I do know that it's rare (I would have thought unheard of) to find XP on a piece of hardware that can manage more than 2G ram.
Did he tap it out in Morse code with his toe?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Seneca
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
The guy builds and repairs PCs and network systems for a living. Why would I doubt him?
Sorry, that was esoteric of me. I sometimes forget that technology's ubiquity doesn't mean everyone works in IT.

The point is, if the guy knew diddly squat, he wouldn't be working in a hole in the wall PC shop; he'd be doing something "real". Ma & Pa Kettle's PC Shops around the country are anachronisms. Dell killed them; they're just too stubborn and dense to realize that they're dead.

It is true that they're bolstered by smaller companies can't afford good IT people, which means questions like the OP go poorly answered on an even bigger scale.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ Then I should consider myself fortunate.

OTOH, it was a better America when our landscape was littered with Ma & Pa shops, rather than Walmart, Home Depot, and McDonalds. You corporate whore.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
I heard that there's a guy who drives busloads of longshoremen to the docks who said that one of them knew a guy working on a tug that guided tankers into port who knew a guy who worked in the galley of one of the tankers who overheard one of the officers say during lunch that "there was a whole lot of oil offshore and we had the technology to get it but some guy from Houston with a bum hand was stopping everything from happening because everyone in the oil business was afraid he would accuse them of more swiftboat bullshit."

It seems idiotic but if I'm wrong, then I stand corrected.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in