LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Sure, now execute a cold open of Photoshop 10 and time it. With Dreamweaver, Quickbooks and the Mercedes WIS already open, it times out at about 6 seconds for me.

Ever keep 6 or 8 resource hungry apps open at the same time? I don't have 8G of ram, I only have 4.

Yes, GS, pigs can fly too.

Have you ever tried to configure your Photoshop on both XP and Vista on the same computer before running tests?

Here is Tom's hardware benchmark article on Vista vs XP performance:

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown : Is Windows Vista Faster Than XP? - Tom's Hardware

As of 8G address space, it is not even worth discussion.

Only 64-bit version of Vista can use 8G of RAM.

There are NO consumer apps I know of which can take advantage of the 64-bit address space.

There will be 32-bit emulator running, and Photoshop, for instance, will only use 3G out of 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I'm sorry, I missed where you posted your time. I only caught the part about how my experience that my Vista desktop is several times faster than my XP desktop and my XP laptop is either a drug-induced hallucination or I'm just a liar.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Two different people told me that Vista doesn't use more than 3 gig of memory. Like large breasts anything above that is a waste.

Forget wiping Vista to install XP. You will apparently lack appropriate drivers.

I'd switch back in a New York minute if I could.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I believe that figure is 4, at least in regard to the 32-bit version:

Quote:
If More RAM is Better, is a Lot More RAM Even Better?

Short answer, no. If a PC is installed with 4GB of system memory, the computer itself will register 4GB but Windows Vista/XP will not be able to recognize it all. It's nothing to fret over, this is a normal limitation with 32 bit operating systems. The operating system will report 3.5GB or so, but the "missing memory" (varies between 500MB-750MB) is there, reserved for hardware devices.
And you said "switch back". Does that mean you installed Vista on a PC originally equipped with Vista? If so, I would agree, that was not a good move.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I'm sorry, I missed where you posted your time. I only caught the part about how my experience that my Vista desktop is several times faster than my XP desktop and my XP laptop is either a drug-induced hallucination or I'm just a liar.
GS, I posted a link to the article where lot of apps were tested on both XP and Vista using the same hardware. You can dispute results all you want, for the rest of the world they are good.

I participated in Vista from the beta stage, I have multiboot on several machines with both XP and Vista. I can assure you that Vista is much slower all other things being equal.

You are happy with Vista and it several times faster for you than equal XP, excellent.

But please don't confuse others , they might believe you.

As of you being hallucinating or just a liar, I am sure you can figure it out yourself. I happen to think that you are in love and can't give the correct estimate, but I might be wrong.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Does that mean you installed Vista on a PC originally equipped with Vista? If so, I would agree, that was not a good move.
And what that supposed to mean?
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon View Post
GS, I posted a link to the article where lot of apps were tested on both XP and Vista using the same hardware. You can dispute results all you want, for the rest of the world they are good.
Which is idiotic, since the two OS have different optimum hardware requirements. Vista, installed on a machine designed for Vista, will out-perform XP on a machine designed for XP, no comparison. Further, Vista will out-perform XP on a machine designed for Vista. Of course, XP will out-perform Vista on a machine designed for XP. You would have to be nuts to install Vista on an XP PC. That is not an upgrade, it is a disaster in the making.

post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Two different people told me that Vista doesn't use more than 3 gig of memory. Like large breasts anything above that is a waste.

Forget wiping Vista to install XP. You will apparently lack appropriate drivers.

I'd switch back in a New York minute if I could.
Any device that works under Vista will work under XP. The opposite is not true. Wiping out Vista and installing XP might require some efforts and (soul) driver searching, but is perfectly doable. There is nothing in Vista that did not exist in XP SP2.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Which is idiotic, since the two OS have different hardware requirements. Vista, installed on a machine designed for Vista, will out-perform XP on a machine designed for XP, no comparison. Further, Vista will out-perform XP on a machine designed for Vista. Of course, XP will out-perform Vista on a machine designed for XP. You would have to be nuts to install Vista on an XP PC. That is not an upgrade, it is a disaster in the making.
GS, stick to the stuff you know please.

You are making a fool of yourself calling names where you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

I assembled hundreds of PCs in my life.

There is no such thing as Vista-designed PC or XP-designed PC, I hope you will understand one day.

At this level arguing with you is pretty much useless.

As of being an idiot, I hope you have a mirror not too far away.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

OK then, tell me how a PC equipped with 8G is ram is the perfect vessel for XP. Then you can tell me how a PC that cannot manage more than 1G of ram is the ideal vessel for Vista. Please don't respond by suggesting that either is better suited for one OS or the other, since you have already ridiculed that notion.

BTW, I suggested that the comparison was idiotic, you responded with an unprovoked personal attack and name-calling. If that and petty bickering are all you've got, maybe you should give it a rest, expert.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in