LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ This may be accidentally accurate as a generalization, but I'm happy to report that no such stigma (being smart is dumb) exists where I live. I will acknowledge it existed in northern California where I grew up, and in the midwest. I think that mentality is the manifestation of parental class-envy within children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
That it is a double-edged sword, we are a lot smaller school so the paper does cover any and all extracurricular activities and surrounding communities with a graduating class of 35- 50 kids. ( we had a class of 110 this year)
And there are school policies in place that mandate a suspension of those activities if a pupils failing grade is recorded, also implemented is a good conduct policy..

And on the other side of that, are some kids find that sports is the reason to attend school.

I’ve stated it before I’d have no problem if sports in public schools were drop completely
and moved to a private sector.

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
That it is a double-edged sword, we are a lot smaller school so the paper does cover any and all extracurricular activities and surrounding communities with a graduating class of 35- 50 kids. ( we had a class of 110 this year)
And there are school policies in place that mandate a suspension of those activities if a pupils failing grade is recorded, also implemented is a good conduct policy..

And on the other side of that, are some kids find that sports is the reason to attend school.

I’ve stated it before I’d have no problem if sports in public schools were drop completely
and moved to a private sector.
I think the smaller schools do much better across the board. I would also bet there are fewer of the "kids that don't want to learn" there also.

I know that consolidation of schools will save schools money and has the ability to focus energies into a central environment but for the most part, I have seen very little good come from all the consolidation and clustering of these schools.

As for the kids that find sports as the main reason to attend school, I wonder if that would be the case if it didn't have the peer allure or high profile that it usually has. All this "football hero" stuff did not really blossom until the 50-60s in highschools. It was, if memory serves in the 30s in College.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ This may be accidentally accurate as a generalization, but I'm happy to report that no such stigma (being smart is dumb) exists where I live. I will acknowledge it existed in northern California where I grew up, and in the midwest. I think that mentality is the manifestation of parental class-envy within children.
I am very glad it is not across the board. I know that too many places put athletic accomplishment ahead of academic accomplishment at every turn.

Only when the school is testing for Federal funding does the aggregate testing really start to count. And then many districts teach to the test, not teach the subjects and let testing do its natural job.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
No, Bushie is not the root of all evil. He just came in at a time without a plan and compounded problems. He is a big contributor but certainly not the root.

My personal opinion is that the root would tend to be greed and avarice. Everything falls from that.
  • From that we get the "instant gratification" generation
  • From that we get the "have to make maximum profits this quarter, damn long term planning"
  • From that we get the change of ratio for CEO pay from 25X the average worker [1965] to 275X [2006]
  • From that we get the push of American jobs to third world countries
  • From that we get the trade imbalances
We have a 24/7/365 news cycle that tries to fill up the time slots with anything to sell advertising. Quality of programming, or its content is not checked and talking heads are able to expound their "expertise" on a public that was brought up on the notion that the Networks only hired people that knew what they were talking about.

It is very possible that if we had elected a very strong leader in 2000 much of what has happened in the past eight years might not have happened. I am not saying Gore or Kerry or even a Democrat. But with the direction things ended up heading with the Dot.com bust, Bush's lack of skills and his inability to take input from others made him the least likely person to have been able to pull us through this last eight years as a stronger country. Once he added his own Iraq madness, he did become part of the problem, just not all of it.
Almost perfect PC...

Don't believe everything you think
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Almost perfect PC...
Just because you read the phrase politically correct doesn't mean that has to be your comment for every post.

And from looking at some of what you have commented on, I am pretty sure you don't understand the meaning of the phrase.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ The list of such phrases seems to be growing exponentially.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Just because you read the phrase politically correct doesn't mean that has to be your comment for every post.

And from looking at some of what you have commented on, I am pretty sure you don't understand the meaning of the phrase.
How 'bout just a picture of you in your element...

Don't believe everything you think
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
No, Bushie is not the root of all evil. He just came in at a time without a plan and compounded problems. He is a big contributor but certainly not the root.

My personal opinion is that the root would tend to be greed and avarice. Everything falls from that.
  • From that we get the "instant gratification" generation
  • From that we get the "have to make maximum profits this quarter, damn long term planning"
  • From that we get the change of ratio for CEO pay from 25X the average worker [1965] to 275X [2006]
  • From that we get the push of American jobs to third world countries
  • From that we get the trade imbalances
Just today we get an object lesson direct from Wall Street on what I have been saying. Our Analyst of the day, Little Stevie Tusa doesn't understand the GE model, he has to work too hard to get his arms and brain around it so his suggestion is for GE to break apart - for his convenience.

Nice, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFA
BOSTON (Reuters) - Investors wondered on Monday whether General Electric Co could help its languishing shares -- now near 4 1/2-year lows -- by selling off large chunks of its diversified portfolio of businesses.

J.P. Morgan analyst Stephen Tusa, one of the loudest voices on Wall Street advocating for a GE breakup, argued in a note that the second-largest U.S. company by market value has become too complicated for investors to understand with any degree of confidence.

"For investors to ever get comfort, there needs to be more transparency, which would be accomplished probably only through a dramatic portfolio restructuring," Tusa wrote in a note to clients.
Never mind if GE understands how it's model works, if the brokers and investors don't understand it, how could it possibly be any good. This is the tail wagging the dog and has resulted in loss of capital for GE and their stockholders that do believe in the model.

GE investors wonder if breaking up is hard to do: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

McBear,
Kentucky

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
How 'bout just a picture of you in your element...

Is that a picture of your BS over my head? I can't really tell but that is what it looks like from here.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in