Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Right, and a democrat to boot.
Yeah, thats right. Whats the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:10 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
'Whitey' fails to wound

Fellow slurs snicker at word's utterance

It's hard to come up with an ethnic slur that has less of a sting than "whitey."

A prevalent yet unsubstantiated Internet rumor has it that Barack Obama's wife, Michelle, used this term at some point in a speech, and the Obama campaign is concerned enough to have posted an online rebuttal.

I've got to ask, though. Are there really white people out there so ignorant of history, so unaware of the nuances of language and so threatened by minority grievances that they take genuine umbrage at the term "whitey"?

More a taunt than a threat, the word has no ugly history and hints at no particular stereotypes. It may have been hurled in a menacing fashion in ugly personal confrontations from time to time, but it's never been used to keep a people down, to put them in their place, to rank them as subhuman.

To be truly offensive, a derogatory term needs to have an ominous context that "whitey" lacks.

Those who take offense are confusing prejudice—which is making negative assumptions about people based solely on external characteristics, of which all races and ethnicities are guilty—with racism, which is prejudice in action.

It requires them to imagine that "whitey" marginalizes, diminishes and therefore harms white people.

And if they're really that dumb, then I guess they deserve to be insulted.

'Whitey' fails to wound -- chicagotribune.com
post #163 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]I've got to ask, though. Are there really white people out there so ignorant of history, so unaware of the nuances of language and so threatened by minority grievances that they take genuine umbrage at the term "whitey"?

More a taunt than a threat, the word has no ugly history and hints at no particular stereotypes. It may have been hurled in a menacing fashion in ugly personal confrontations from time to time, but it's never been used to keep a people down, to put them in their place, to rank them as subhuman.

To be truly offensive, a derogatory term needs to have an ominous context that "whitey" lacks.
At this point I myself wonder if the tape exists at all. One would think it would have already surfaced. Seriously though, this article basically says that whitey should not get mad at being called whitey by a black person. Good luck with that. The context which Michelle Obama supposedly used it is this:

“Once again, the white man keeps us down, what’s up with Whitey, Why’d he attack Iraq, Why’d he let Katrina happen, Why’d he leave millions of children behind. This is the legacy the white man gives us”

This goes a little beyond just being called "whitey". This blames white people for anything bad that has happened. This would be the "legacy" that she feels whitey is respsonsible for. She could have said this is the legacy that Bush left but chose to blame it on the entire white race. That IS prejudice beyond doubt. Once again, I hope the tape does NOT exist (I hope she never said that, tape or not) but if it does, I wish it would surface now while we can still get Clinton in there.
post #164 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I got your whitey right here...

White supremacists run wild
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	white.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	182906  

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #165 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
White supremacists run wild
WTF? If said tape surfaces, will you vote for Obama?
post #166 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

You mean the one I debunked on this very forum about a week before you even started this nonsense thread? Do you have any idea how foolish you look forwarding rumors that you know are not true? What makes you think I would vote for Obama either way? Because I consistently forward the notion that he and all candidates should be treated with a certain amount of respect?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #167 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
You mean the one I debunked on this very forum about a week before you even started this nonsense thread? Do you have any idea how foolish you look forwarding rumors that you know are not true? What makes you think I would vote for Obama either way? Because I consistently forward the notion that he and all candidates should be treated with a certain amount of respect?
My guess is you will vote for Osama...

Don't believe everything you think
post #168 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

He's a democrat too, right?

post #169 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
He's a democrat too, right?
Hard to tell... He usually steps into our national elections in October and tries to scare the hell out of us to influence our elections. I fear he may be a Republican...

Don't believe everything you think
post #170 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

You were certainly paying attention in '04....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in