Airlines May Treat Passengers `Like Freight' to Beat Fuel Surge - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I find the best way to shut up a chatty seat mate is start talking about emergency landings that I have experienced. The smell of hydraulic fluids, the crash trucks lining the runways...

Usually takes about 5 minutes.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Shortly after touching down at LAX, the haughty matron across the aisle from me pops her belt, stands up and begins gathering her assorted crap. The attendant calls out sweetly for every one to remain seated. The old broad sits with a harumph, muttering under her breath, 'Why do they insist on making everyone wait to get off'. As we slow in our approach to the terminal, the hag jumps up, and hits the release on the overhead compartment. Directly overhead. As I fend off the rain of luggage from my head and shoulders, the most solid of the bags just happens to land quite forcefully across the bridge of the bitch's foot. She's now jumping up and down on one foot as I tell her calmly,'That's kinda why they want you to stay seated, ma'am'.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am all for the weigh in. Before I had my 2 beautiful daughters I would spend about a month in Canada between May 1st and the end of Sept. on 3-4 fishing trips. A few of these were fly ins on sea planes. We were very restricted on how much weight we could take in and depending on the service they would weigh our bags on the dock. when we packed we would assemble all community gear, tent,food, cooking equipment ect... and then determine how much weight we had left. If it was determined that we each could have 220 lbs total and you weighed 210 you were packing light. I'm 6'1" and weigh 160 holding a watermelon so we usually did not have a problem. One of the last trips I ran was for a good friend of mine and he wanted to take some guys from work. So I gave him the pack list to hand out of what they needed and what they could bring. I developed a list over the years so that four guys did not show up with their own axe, shovel, kitchen sink ect... They all dropped off their gear a week early like they were supposed to so I could check and repack into water proof bags and weigh them. The smallest guy was 6' 245lbs. After some repacking and some double checking of the math, we made it. I have never had a pilot look me in the eye and ask me " Are you sure that these numbers are right?" I almost laughed. We were taking off and landing on some pretty big lakes so we had plenty of runway but the rpms were pretty high when we finally lifted off.
Oh and BTW fifty lbs overweight and a week in the wilderness is not the vacation you might think it is.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 PM
worst mod in BW history
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think brown-shirted guards should separate all the fat people from line and usher them into Boeing 747 cargo planes. You wouldn't even have to provide seating, just pile a small mountain of Pringles, Whoppers and Mountain Dew in the center of the fuselage.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
You might wanna fit cubicles, like for Dairy cows, with that senario, be a terrible pile up on landing otherwise.
Good plan though.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:20 AM
slightly creased
Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2008 ML 500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The irony is for years the airline staff have been referring to the paying customers as SLF (self loading freight).

The solution to the 'chatty' neighbour is to engage anti-social habits such as flatulence or fly F class.

Failing that, just get drunk.

And Difflock, I know how your friend feels, my wife (before we were married) somehow convinced me to fly economy class to the Maldives, we flew First home, say no more

beware of fundamentalists

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
When you get a passenger sitting next to you who talks garbage all the time, the answer is quite simple. Always carry a copy of the Koranb

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
I've done the long-haul London to Sydney about 10 times now. Always in Economy, except once - and that was a Business flight paid for by a relative. The difference between the two was not that noticable to me - 12 hours airborne is a bummer either way.

Back in the 80s & 90s the flights were never full. I used to book a window seat, but before take off I would hop into an empty row of 5 seats and establish my place there. Then I could be sure of a horizontal sleep, and arrive in good shape. It is not possible now though, as all flights are full.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Difflock
Are the arm rests not fixed too?
pretty uncomfortable if they are
I have tried
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We'll have some really cranky passengers if they're all struggling to make weight like boxers.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: