Today is "tax freedom" day in the UK - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 AM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
oooh LoL you guys can't even beat the Vietnamese with half of them on your side, best stay in that country the English gave you .
We were handed a mess by the French and our hippies didn't help so what do you expect?
DP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
Fish and chips, powdered wigs, Lloyd's of London, Tea. We don't need much more than that.
Fish and chips are Irish, powered wigs are French and Tea comes from China, but I take it you have insurance for being drunk and stupid, do you think they pay out?
Von Vorschlag is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
We were handed a mess by the French and our hippies didn't help so what do you expect?
You to learn ....LoL
Von Vorschlag is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
joelschneider's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Location: Sussex Wi
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
Fish and chips are Irish, powered wigs are French and Tea comes from China, but I take it you have insurance for being drunk and stupid, do you think they pay out?
Irish, English same thing.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
joelschneider is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
I appreciate the Irony that you said that in English on a computer running down a telephone line

Actually a fiber optic line..................the same on I get my cable TV on.
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
Irish, English same thing.

My ancestors take that as an insult, you are walking a thin line pal.........
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Actually a fiber optic line..................the same on I get my cable TV on.
In 1854, John Tyndall demonstrated to the Royal Society that light could be conducted through a curved stream of water, proving that a light signal could be bent.

In 1880, Alexander Graham Bell invented his 'Photophone', which transmitted a voice signal on a beam of light. Bell focused sunlight with a mirror and then talked into a mechanism that vibrated the mirror. At the receiving end, a detector picked up the vibrating beam and decoded it back into a voice the same way a phone did with electrical signals. Many things -- a cloudy day for instance -- could interfere with the Photophone, causing Bell to stop any further research with this invention.

In 1880, William Wheeler invented a system of light pipes lined with a highly reflective coating that illuminated homes by using light from an electric arc lamp placed in the basement and directing the light around the home with the pipes.
As for TV
The Americans will tell you it was Philo Taylor Farnsworth (what a name!). The Russians and RCA will tell you it was Vladimir Zworykin. Like all complex devices, the television has many contributing inventors.


Answer
Scottish inventor, John Logie Baird, the father of this pervasive technology, first publicly demonstrated television on 26 January 1926, in his small laboratory in the Soho district of London. Although large companies with great financial support were also working on the problem of television, Baird managed to surpass them all with very little money, a handful of unpaid helpers and equipment pieced together using rather unconventional materials. For example, Baird's choice of mechanical scanning as the most effective way of achieving true television required the use of spinning discs -- which of financial necessity were made of hatboxes and mounted on a coffin lid.



Last edited by Von Vorschlag; 06-02-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Von Vorschlag is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
joelschneider's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Location: Sussex Wi
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
My ancestors take that as an insult, you are walking a thin line pal.........
LOL, Sorry ,it wasn't directed at you! It was for Von, I knew it would cut to the bone. If I wasn't German I would love to be Irish.

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
joelschneider is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Membership withdrawn by request
 
Von Vorschlag's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Location: the pale blue dot
Posts: 19,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelschneider View Post
Irish, English same thing.
American - Mexican same thing
Cut to the bone BAahhahahahahhaahahahah Twit. Don't ya love my English name ????
Von Vorschlag is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
 
joelschneider's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4 matic wagon
Location: Sussex Wi
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
In 1854, John Tyndall demonstrated to the Royal Society that light could be conducted through a curved stream of water, proving that a light signal could be bent.

In 1880, Alexander Graham Bell invented his 'Photophone', which transmitted a voice signal on a beam of light. Bell focused sunlight with a mirror and then talked into a mechanism that vibrated the mirror. At the receiving end, a detector picked up the vibrating beam and decoded it back into a voice the same way a phone did with electrical signals. Many things -- a cloudy day for instance -- could interfere with the Photophone, causing Bell to stop any further research with this invention.

In 1880, William Wheeler invented a system of light pipes lined with a highly reflective coating that illuminated homes by using light from an electric arc lamp placed in the basement and directing the light around the home with the pipes.
As for TV
The Americans will tell you it was Philo Taylor Farnsworth (what a name!). The Russians and RCA will tell you it was Vladimir Zworykin. Like all complex devices, the television has many contributing inventors.


Answer
Scottish inventor, John Logie Baird, the father of this pervasive technology, first publicly demonstrated television on 26 January 1926, in his small laboratory in the Soho district of London. Although large companies with great financial support were also working on the problem of television, Baird managed to surpass them all with very little money, a handful of unpaid helpers and equipment pieced together using rather unconventional materials. For example, Baird's choice of mechanical scanning as the most effective way of achieving true television required the use of spinning discs -- which of financial necessity were made of hatboxes and mounted on a coffin lid.


So you will take credit for things the English have invented, but you are not English?

"Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life."
joelschneider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    "transfer tax" New York On a lease glerm0@yahoo.com General Mercedes-Benz 0 12-10-2006 08:06 AM
    "Idiot" is not a threat: Your tax dollars at work Check Codes Off-Topic 1 09-29-2006 08:48 PM
    Drew, we have to met some day so I can give you back some "parts" :) ... cgeorge430 W163 M-Class 5 02-26-2003 08:27 AM
    1) Extra "no cleaning fuss" tax to ALL silver Mb owners and how does the Darkmann W163 M-Class 0 08-14-2002 09:37 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome