As a brief refresher: Israel has never attacked the USA. Israel has been a consistent supporter of our interests. Israel is a theocratic democracy, stronger on democratic principles than theocratic edicts. Israel has a free press. None of Israel's neighbors can claim the above.
Okay, Jordan & Lebanon (when not involved in self-immolation) are close. None of the Gulf states are close, though Qatar & Kuwait are moving toward that direction.
Now look at the flip side: What have Israel's neighbors ever done for us except export hate, misery and oil? Absent the oil we'd have nothing to do with the lot of them.
Finally, we have had a minor world-wide scare concerning food. Without industrial agriculture and modern transportation, how minor would the world-wide scare about food availability be? Can you name the one raw material required in both transportation and modern agriculture? What would happen if that raw material were seriously restricted or unavailable?
Ok, you did not answer the question about our politicians pandering to Israel but I am game, let's look at your points that are very valid:
1. Israel attacked the US (USS Liberty has not been forgotten, buried but not forgotten)
2. Id Israel was 100% looking out for our interests then
a. why do they spy on us?
b. why aren't they helping us now that we are in Iraq?
b.1 at lest with bases within Israel
b.2 if they want Iraqi oil, at least build the infrastructure with their money, no wait, their money is our money, nevermind.
3. What self immolation is Jordan getting into, the last time they had a big problem was in the early seventies with the Palestinians but now they are occupied by Palestinians anyway
4. Lebanon, you say, dude they just got their souther region back from Israel after 20 years of occupation, do you expect them to just be all cheery? Let's not forget that Syria just pulled out leaving a vacuum for Hizbolah to fill in. Where were we when Israel attacked? Who are the Lebanese going to side with? A US that was nowhere to be seen or a bunch of thugs that actually stepped in to push back an invasion?
5. Where is Kuwait in all of this? Didn't we go to Iraq because of Kuwait in the first Gulf War?
6. You say absent the oil we would have nothing to do with that lot hmmm, let me ask you: Why are we protecting Israel that does not have oil while we're invading the Arabs with oil and antagonizing the rest of them that also have oil? Clearly there is a preferential order in here and then we ask ourselves how come they hate us and they don't trust us. Hell they don't want us to broker anything for them anymore and soon we will have no say in how they produce oil; remember Bush coming back a week ago with his tail tucked in?
7. Should we blame world hunger on oil producing countries now?
8. So what's your point? It's ok to invade them so we can help the world?