BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
From the desk of John McCain

My Friends,

We are all aware that next January, the political leadership of the United States will change significantly when a new president is sworn into our nation's highest elected office. It is important that the candidates who seek to lead our country after President Bush define their objectives and what they plan to achieve not with vague language but with clarity.

What I want to do is take a little time to describe what I hope to have achieved at the end of my first term as president. I cannot guarantee I will have achieved these things, but I am presumptuous enough to think I would be a good president.

By January 2013, at the end of my first term as president, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her freedom. The Iraq War has been won and Iraq is a functioning democracy. The threat from a resurgent Taliban in Afghanistan has been greatly reduced but not eliminated and there has not been a major terrorist attack in the United States since September 11, 2001.

The United States has experienced several years of robust economic growth and Americans again have confidence in their economic future. Congress has lowered taxes and passed fundamental tax reform offering a choice in how taxes are filed. Americans, who through no fault of their own, lost jobs in the global economy they once believed were theirs for life, are assisted by reformed unemployment insurance and worker retraining programs.

Public education in the United States is much improved and test scores and graduation rates are rising everywhere in the country. Health care has become more accessible to more Americans than at any other time in history.

The United States is well on the way to independence from foreign sources of oil; progress that has not only begun to alleviate the environmental threat posed from climate change, but has greatly improved our security as well.

Scores of judges have been confirmed to the federal district and appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, who understand that they were not sent there to write our laws but to enforce them.

Voluntary national service has grown in popularity in part because of the educational benefits used as incentives, as well as frequent appeals from the bully pulpit of the White House, but mostly because the young Americans understand that true happiness is much greater than the pursuit of pleasure, and can only be found by serving causes greater than self-interest.

This is the progress I want us to achieve during my presidency. These are the changes I am running for president to make. I want to leave office knowing that America is safer, freer and wealthier than when I was elected.

There are serious issues at stake in this election, and serious differences, but it should remain an argument among friends; each of us struggling to hear our conscience, and heed its demands. Each of us, despite our differences, united in our great cause and respectful of the goodness in each other. That is how most Americans treat each other. And it is how they want the people they elect to office to treat each other.

We cannot again leave our problems for another unluckier generation of Americans to fix after they have become even harder to solve. I'm not interested in partisanship that serves no other purpose than to gain a temporary advantage over our opponents. We are all compatriots. We are fellow Americans. I intend to prove myself worthy of the office, of our country and of your respect. I won't judge myself by how many elections I've won. I won't spend one hour of my presidency worrying more about my re-election than keeping my promises to the American people.

And now, I call on you to do your part in making this vision a reality. I am not presumptuous enough to think that I will be elected our next president without your help, and I humbly ask you today to make a contribution to my campaign of any amount to ensure my campaign is fully funded and able to take my message and vision directly to every American voter.

Sincerely,

John McCain

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
I thought you didn't think much of McCain...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Where is the letter from Mitt Romney asking for donations to help pay his campaign debt..................
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I thought you didn't think much of McCain...
Sharing my letter from ol' John doesn't change anything. Just thought you and the other inmates here would want to know what he actually stands for.

But I could be wrong...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

McCain believes Iraq war can be won by 2013...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:39 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

The ole comprehension skills starting to give way, right...........

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...ears-crap.html
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
The ole comprehension skills starting to give way, right...........

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...ears-crap.html
Hopefully, won't have to listen to 4-more-years of your crap!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
McCain vows to include Democrats, defeat al-Qaida

Quote:
Republican also promises weekly press conferences, meetings with Congress
By Russ Britt, MarketWatch

Sen. John McCain said Thursday that if elected, his presidency would see al-Qaida defeated in Iraq and on the run in Afghanistan, an administration with Democrats and Republicans serving side-by-side and regular meetings with the press.

The presumptive Republican nominee said that by the end of his first term in 2013, Iraq would be a functioning, independent democracy that has defeated al-Qaida with U.S. help.

McCain added that a resurgent Taliban in Afghanistan would be reduced, though not eliminated, and that the U.S. will have obtained the cooperation of neighboring Pakistan in rooting out al-Qaida in that nation.

"There is no longer any place in the world al-Qaida can consider a safe haven," McCain told a crowd in Columbus, Ohio, of his vision four years after this November's election.

Speaking out against divisive politics, McCain vowed to bring Democrats into his administration, though it was not clear whether any would hold Cabinet posts.

"This mindless, paralyzing rancor must come to an end. We belong to different parties, but not different countries," McCain said. "I promise you, from the day I am sworn into office until the last hour of my presidency, I will work with anyone, of either party, to make this country safe, prosperous and proud. And I won't care who gets the credit."

McCain also roundly criticized what he called "the era of the permanent campaign" and vowed to "set a new standard for transparency and accountability." He promised to hold weekly press conferences.

He also said he would hold regular meetings with Congress, where he would answer questions and take criticisms in the same manner as the British prime minister, who regularly appears before the House of Commons.

"When we make errors, I will confess them readily, and explain what we intend to do to correct them," McCain said.

McCain also said the U.S. will have experienced several years of robust growth by the time his first term is up. He has designs on a reduction in the corporate tax rate, lower capital gains taxes, deductions for businesses for investments in equipment and technology and an end to "corporate welfare."

Several vetoes also were envisioned by McCain should Congress send appropriations bills rife with earmarks, the candidate said.

He also called for replacing the alternative minimum tax with a "simpler, fairer and flatter" tax.
Now this sounds more like the McCain I supported in 2000, the guy who puts his country before his political party, his political lackeys, and himself. It's a few years late, but it is nice to finally see him throwing the Bush administration under a bus. Too bad about his Iraq stance -- I'm still not buyin'...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Hopefully, won't have to listen to 4-more-years of your crap!

Well I have asked you several times to stop calling me.............
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Sharing my letter from ol' John doesn't change anything. Just thought you and the other inmates here would want to know what he actually stands for.
Four more years of empty promises?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in