post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94 View Post
I wouldn't say no manufacturing, but the Unions(pro democrat) have done a wonderful job of making us uncompetitive in the world market place....
The unions have ZERO to do with our competitiveness in the WORLD market place. Germany and most of the EU have stronger unions than the US and they are NOT bitching about loss of competitiveness, on the contrary they are importing to the US by the ship load.

Our losses are from countries like India [$.46 per hour] China [.38 per hour] Mexico [1.32 per hour], Bangladesh [.19 per hour], Viet Nam [.31] where the standard of living is based on ability to eat or shit inside. And our Free Trade, "Let the Markets Decide" kids who just like to see their stocks jack up [that 13% who can afford them] push Corporate America to cut costs by going offshore for manufacturing and services. That is NOT Union activity.

The only place where Unions in the US factor in is where there are Union vs non Union manufacturing side by side and many times the non union has less long term overhead [pensions, mostly paid by the workers and health benefits]. The Toyota Camry plant, as an example pays roughly the same as union shops that supply many of their parts in the area and roughly the same as the Ford F150 plant or Corvette plant 80 miles away.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 View Post
Yes I would encourage my own children to pursue engineering or IT degrees. One of the degrees I would not encourage them to pursue is to get an MD. With the push to nationalize health care, the large student loans, and the piss poor pay (depending on speciality) it is not a field to get into at this time.

You may know more engineers than I do but all of the engineers I know have no trouble finding jobs. The would include ME, EE, and Chemical among others.
I hire engineers with minimum MSCS, MSEE MSSE and am starting to find that I have three distinct problems when filling slots.

First, qualified EXPERIENCED candidates are hard to find, many have left the profession out of frustration and are not being backfilled.

Second, Noob candidates lack experience, are arrogant and expect experienced engineer pay.

Third, most clients now expect X% usually 40% of staff to be offshore on any contract that is over $1Million [and that is a small contract].

What that means in simple numbers is that if I have a one year, five person programming contract, two have to be offshored.

Anyone that doesn't believe that much engineering and programming work is done offshore just has to come to my home office for the day. On my current project, I have two people in NYC, one in Germany, two in Brazil and two in Bangalore. My wife has five in China, two in Mexico, one in Italy, two in California one in Florida and one in NY. And both are US deliverables.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I hire engineers with minimum MSCS, MSEE MSSE and am starting to find that I have three distinct problems when filling slots.

First, qualified EXPERIENCED candidates are hard to find, many have left the profession out of frustration and are not being backfilled.

Second, Noob candidates lack experience, are arrogant and expect experienced engineer pay.

Third, most clients now expect X% usually 40% of staff to be offshore on any contract that is over $1Million [and that is a small contract].

What that means in simple numbers is that if I have a one year, five person programming contract, two have to be offshored.

Anyone that doesn't believe that much engineering and programming work is done offshore just has to come to my home office for the day. On my current project, I have two people in NYC, one in Germany, two in Brazil and two in Bangalore. My wife has five in China, two in Mexico, one in Italy, two in California one in Florida and one in NY. And both are US deliverables.
I know EXACTLY what you're saying and it's sad. As long as the numbers look good for now the proponents of this bullshit will fight tooth and nail for the sake of maximizing stockholder's return even it means selling out our country, its resources and weakening it human resources capabilities.
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

You could probably replace one foreign worker with a higher paid domestic if you reduced your management overhead that you waste by spending so much time on BWOT.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
You could probably replace one foreign worker with a higher paid domestic if you reduced your management overhead that you waste by spending so much time on BWOT.
Some of us know how to multi-task. BWOT is the filler between processes on the second and third computers on the desk.

Right now computer two is testing a load from the team in Bangalore which just came online two hours ago for the morning. They got my results from last night's work, loaded it up on the test servers, did their mods and dumped it back for review.

Machine three is running a process against a 7.3TB database at the Watson Research Lab in Yorktown NY. It dumps results every 20 minutes.

This machine toggles between BWOT and my trading account as I watch the Shanghai exchange which opened 40 minutes ago.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Toot toot

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Toot toot

Bean-o will fix that.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
(pant, pant, pant)
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Repeat
^ Wow, were you ever right!

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good.I wan to what will be the future status of the US market.Can anyone share their opinion in it.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 04:56 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
^ Wow, were you ever right!

Hey don't forget Jay............

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in