Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 View Post
Here you go

About That Engineering Gap...
Is the U.S. really falling behind China and India in education? Not really. Take a closer look at the data

There are few topics that generate as much heated debate as outsourcing. One side argues that globalization will lead to greater innovation and prosperity, the other says we are increasing unemployment and misery. Everyone agrees that what's at stake is America's standard of living and world economic leadership.

One would expect that the numbers used in such debate would be defensible and grounded. Yet researchers at Duke University have determined that some of the most cited statistics on engineering graduates are inaccurate. Statistics that say the U.S. is producing 70,000 engineers a year vs. 350,000 from India and 600,000 from China aren't valid, the Duke team says. We're actually graduating more engineers than India, and the Chinese numbers aren't quite what they seem. In short, America is far ahead by almost any measure, and we're a long way from losing our edge.

Unfortunately, the message students are getting is that many engineering jobs will be outsourced and U.S. engineers have a bleak future of higher unemployment and lower remuneration. This could result in a self-fulfilling prophecy, as fearful young scholars stick to supposedly "outsourcing-proof" professions. In other words, we have more to fear from fear itself.

RESEARCH FELLOWS. Having been a tech exec and co-producer of a Bollywood film, I've long been at the center of the outsourcing debate. I wrote about how my own son called me unpatriotic and argued that I was doing wrong for America (see, BW Online, 3/12/04, "My Son, It's Time to Talk of Outsourcing..."). Yet, in my new life in academia, I couldn't answer the first question my engineering students asked (see BW Online, 9/14/05, "Degrees of Achievement"). They wondered what courses would lead to the best job prospects and what jobs were "outsourcing proof."

I knew that with a master's of engineering management from Duke, these students were destined to be leaders, and that leadership can never be outsourced. Yet I was no expert on engineering majors across the world. Dean Kristina Johnson of Duke's Pratt School of Engineering suggested we research the topic.

I enlisted the help of Professor Gary Gereffi, a world renowned sociologist and Duke outsourcing expert, and we picked a team of our brightest students. We set out to compare international engineering degrees and analyze employment opportunities. As you do in any study, we started by assessing the facts. The problem was that facts were in short supply.

Article continued: About That Engineering Gap...
I read that article before and I even gave it to my students to find anything to back up his findings; you know kind of like an exercise
Guess what, he's wrong, dead wrong
Oh, that was an engineering class that I asked this and we even categorized all graduates from electrical, mechanical and other fields of engineering.
Oh, let's not go into the distribution of US citizen in hardcore graduate engineering studies
Anyway, did that fluff from that author make you happy for a minute? You know like we're actually doing a good job at staying competitive? If his shit is true, then why are the jobs being outsourced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
If his shit is true, then why are the jobs being outsourced?
Easy - it is cheaper. Not higher quality, not faster, just cheaper.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Anyway, did that fluff from that author make you happy for a minute?
No. I am more concerned about my personal portfolio than what an article does or does not say.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:26 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Easy - it is cheaper. Not higher quality, not faster, just cheaper.
I agree 100% so now what kind of pressure will that put on entry level jobs for engineers? How could we end up with seasoned engineers if can't place new engineers in jobs because engineers in India (with better math skills by the way) earn like ten time less than ours?
Would you encourage your own children to pursue engineering considering current trends?
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
(pant, pant, pant)
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Repeat

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
(pant, pant, pant)
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Repeat
Do you think?...
Attached Images

Don't believe everything you think
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I agree 100% so now what kind of pressure will that put on entry level jobs for engineers? How could we end up with seasoned engineers if can't place new engineers in jobs because engineers in India (with better math skills by the way) earn like ten time less than ours?
Would you encourage your own children to pursue engineering considering current trends?
Yes I would encourage my own children to pursue engineering or IT degrees. One of the degrees I would not encourage them to pursue is to get an MD. With the push to nationalize health care, the large student loans, and the piss poor pay (depending on speciality) it is not a field to get into at this time.

You may know more engineers than I do but all of the engineers I know have no trouble finding jobs. The would include ME, EE, and Chemical among others.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
10:05 a.m. Nucor seeks permit for $2 billion mill
Nucor Corp., the biggest steelmaker in North America, could build a $2 billion plant in St. James Parish on the site that became a finalist for a German-owned steel mill last year, the company said today in announcing it is filing for state permits. Based in Charlotte, N.C., Nucor would employ 500 with an average salary of $75,000 and create 2,000 construction jobs.

2theadvocate.com | Powered by The Advocate and WBRZ News 2 Louisiana — Baton Rouge, LA
Now that is some good news. Steelworkers will be happy to see that, as will the local economy.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
Those charts do nothing but prove this has been going on for over three decades.
Wake up people!!!!
You mean starting with TrickleDown R-R-R-Ron?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Yes I would encourage my own children to pursue engineering or IT degrees. One of the degrees I would not encourage them to pursue is to get an MD. With the push to nationalize health care, the large student loans, and the piss poor pay (depending on speciality) it is not a field to get into at this time.

You may know more engineers than I do but all of the engineers I know have no trouble finding jobs. The would include ME, EE, and Chemical among others.
Hey I even found a job as an exotic dancer, I love engineering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in