Reverend Wright's NAACP Speech - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Obama's wife said that for THE FIRST TIME, SHE WAS PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN. Why was she not proud before? Does her statement reflect the views of her husband? Apparently. You would do yourself good to also ask why he doesn't wear the flag lapel pin. That very action coupled with his statements, the statements of his wife and the statements of his 'mentor' should cause anyone to question his real feelings and motives. A man is known by his deeds and it doesn't take long to draw a line between his pastoral mentor and his own beliefs. And you are a blind fool if you don't see it.
This is trivia. His wife is not running, and is likely not trained to avoid uttering clauses that can be turned into such heavy piles of bullshit they can suck the earth out of orbit and into the Sun by the likes of O'Reilly and Hannity and Limbaugh. Same with lapel pins. Fuck them. I don't wear them so why would I think anyone else should, or shouldn't. This is the exact, easy, lazy bigot's argument for holding Obama's blackness against him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
And, unlike the 'reverend's' sermon, if a white person were filmed making the same outrageous statements as Wright (AIDS and other diseases were created to kill blacks, drugs were invented to kill blacks, etc. and on and on), any person near or around them would be crucified into non-existence.
You amaze me how you accuse those who listen to his rabid rantings as being too emotional. Get with it. Wright IS A RACIST! If you expect me or any other reasonable person to dismiss his surface hatred in order to look for a message that may or may not be there, you are either blind or too wrapped up in Obama to see what's going on.
It is apparent you have yet to actually listen to his sermons. There is no point in arguing with you about their context because you stopped listening at the first opportunity to point your finger and call him a name.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find many who had to sit in the back of the bus, use a water fountain for blacks only, etc. I know of no black person who's been refused service or persecuted into moving because they didn't fit in. You are right, there is no history of blacks enslaving whites in this country. BUT, there are also no incidents of whites enslaving blacks in this country, either. This country is trying to get past it's dismal history but guys like you won't let it happen. Every time there's even a hint of racism or a discussion of such, people like you bring this shit up. There is not ONE black person, living and breathing in this country that has ever been a slave nor knows what it's really like to be one. Find another issue to drum beat, Jim, because this issue IS DEAD!
Very dead issue for whites, since you can't sit down at Thanksgiving and have a conversation with a family member who has experienced those examples of offensive race based hatred. So, for you it is dead.

You need to look back at how many generations of ancestors lived in the general lack of being persecuted conditions you enjoy today. There are some, rare, people, even from white populations, that can make good given a new chance to do so. But, for the most part, our family history has a lot to do with how we are raised, and that typically has a lot to do with how we adjust to our surroundings. The fact that none of these issues are important to you, since you call them DEAD issues, is a pretty narrow perspective. To assume that your perspective is realistic, given your outlook probably wouldn't be much different if this were 1908 instead of 2008, is not well supported by modern, black family experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I'll hand you many of these points, Jim. I agree with you when you say blacks have a disadvantage. I'm not saying it is right, but, only time can heal these fissures. But, it's going to take whites and blacks working TOGETHER to accomplish equality. You're not going to get it through affirmative action or other programs designed to give blacks an advantage over whites. If you want the real solution to this, you and the persons you idolize and set on an ivory towers need to listen to Bill Cosby. He addresses the real reasons for the troubles many blacks face today and he wants to help them solve those problems. Cosby puts his money behind his beliefs and he goes, largely, ignored, because his point of views are not embraced by the majority. Why? Because he advocates PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY instead of blaming everyone else.
Listen to Obama. He is closer on this issue to y Cosby than you realize. Not everyone wants the status quo to continue. And Obama has made it clear the status quo is a consequence of many good intentioned programs that don't really work.

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
f you're voting for Obama because you 'feel sorry' for the plight of blacks or because you think he has a disadvantage, you're voting for the wrong reasons. Obama has made it clear through his actions and statements what his agenda will be.
I don't feel sorry for anyone. I merely try to be aware of other's perspectives on issues. Black people in America are not "equal" except under the letter of the law. It makes one suspect a great deal of America must be illiterate.

In this case I think you have yet to hear Obama's agenda, for whatever reasons you employ to block it out. I hear his agenda - end the Iraq debacle as soon as possible, restore America's respect for our Constitution, provide health care for all, and address the needs of Americans to compete in a global economy. I see nothing in the agenda about preferentially helping blacks.

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Location: City on the TN River
Posts: 10,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
This is trivia. His wife is not running, and is likely not trained to avoid uttering clauses that can be turned into such heavy piles of bullshit they can suck the earth out of orbit and into the Sun by the likes of O'Reilly and Hannity and Limbaugh. Same with lapel pins. Fuck them. I don't wear them so why would I think anyone else should, or shouldn't. This is the exact, easy, lazy bigot's argument for holding Obama's blackness against him.
That's it! At least you see it. She's not 'trained' to be a politician. But, she's his wife and most wives share the views and philosophies of their husbands. But, as I expected, you miss it totally. People aren't comfortable with a politician that openly and brazenly criticizes his own country. Obama refuses to wear the lapel pin for his own reasons but for you to decide that I'm a racist because I question it, makes you little. I question it for obvious reasons, the same reasons it would be questioned of John McCain or Hillary Clinton, if they refused to wear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
It is apparent you have yet to actually listen to his sermons. There is no point in arguing with you about their context because you stopped listening at the first opportunity to point your finger and call him a name.
And you think 5 to 7 minutes of his spouted hatred isn't enough? You're saying that he would have reversed his stance, all together, say, in the next 5 or 7 minutes? Get REAL! He's a racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Very dead issue for whites, since you can't sit down at Thanksgiving and have a conversation with a family member who has experienced those examples of offensive race based hatred. So, for you it is dead.

You need to look back at how many generations of ancestors lived in the general lack of being persecuted conditions you enjoy today. There are some, rare, people, even from white populations, that can make good given a new chance to do so. But, for the most part, our family history has a lot to do with how we are raised, and that typically has a lot to do with how we adjust to our surroundings. The fact that none of these issues are important to you, since you call them DEAD issues, is a pretty narrow perspective. To assume that your perspective is realistic, given your outlook probably wouldn't be much different if this were 1908 instead of 2008, is not well supported by modern, black family experiences.
And you need to look at ways to be progressive instead of regressive. Todays issues being addressed is progressive, which means something can actually be done about it. But, slavery, as an issue is regressive and there's not a damned thing you, I or anyone else can do about it except bitch. Do you see the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Listen to Obama. He is closer on this issue to y Cosby than you realize. Not everyone wants the status quo to continue. And Obama has made it clear the status quo is a consequence of many good intentioned programs that don't really work.
Obama is a liberal with liberal agendas to follow. Cosby is a conservative with conservative agendas. Cosby is viewed by most blacks as a sell-out to white people, so, Obama isn't going to align himself with the views of a 'white thinking' black as many refer to Cosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I don't feel sorry for anyone. I merely try to be aware of other's perspectives on issues. Black people in America are not "equal" except under the letter of the law. It makes one suspect a great deal of America must be illiterate.
I, too, am fully aware of the perspectives of others. I'm not arguing the point of equality with you. But a black man isn't going to listen to a white man's advice. They will listen to Obama. If Obama tries to perpetuate the idea it's all 'whitey's' fault, then the problem will continue to go largely, unsolved. And I think Obama will do that as president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
In this case I think you have yet to hear Obama's agenda, for whatever reasons you employ to block it out. I hear his agenda - end the Iraq debacle as soon as possible, restore America's respect for our Constitution, provide health care for all, and address the needs of Americans to compete in a global economy. I see nothing in the agenda about preferentially helping blacks.
Jim
I'm not blocking anything out. Obama chose to have Wright as his 'mentor' and 'pastor' for 20 years. You choose to believe what Obama says when he states he knew nothing of Wright's beliefs. I think Obama is a liar when he says he didn't know that Wright believed the way he does. It is Wright's agenda he will pursue to some degree.

And, it's easy for Obama to say 'I'm gonna pull those boys out of Iraq and bring them home'. If he's elected, and he has a chance, and he settles in that chair behind the desk at the Oval Office, he will receive reports and briefs from the military. It's those reports and briefs that will make his final decision on what to do.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
cmitch is offline  
post #13 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The idea that Obama holds the same opinions as Wright because they happen to know each other is a pile of horseshit. The real reason this is an issue is because it keeps us from discussing the things the GOP have utterly failed at: the economy, health care, their stupid fucking war and the fact their President turned the US Government into a criminal enterprise modelled on Hitler.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #14 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
430
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You ask for specific examples of whites being held back, or not getting a job or not getting into the school they wanted because of their color?

Examples abound around this country.

How about all the college students in California or Michagan that could not get into the state schools of their choice because XX% of positions were set aside for minorities?

What about all the police and fire departments that have requirements that 20% of the positions must go to minorities?

How about all of the city, state, and federal contracts that are only open to businesses run by minorities?

I have seen HR departments tell managers that they must hire a minority to fill positions even if a qualified minority applicant has not applied for a job.

I can go on with examples around raises, promotions, avoidance of being laid off, etc. but there is no reason to keep beating the dead horse.

As far as people being called racisit for criticizing Obama it happens all the time.
430 is offline  
post #15 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Location: City on the TN River
Posts: 10,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
The idea that Obama holds the same opinions as Wright because they happen to know each other is a pile of horseshit. The real reason this is an issue is because it keeps us from discussing the things the GOP have utterly failed at: the economy, health care, their stupid fucking war and the fact their President turned the US Government into a criminal enterprise modelled on Hitler.
Another president is being elected. The one in office will be turned out. History will write about his failures, as have been written on all other presidents.

One's true character is known by the company they keep. Wright was his pastor and spiritual mentor for over 20 years. Obama said so. So, it's not horseshit, when one draws lines from Wright's beliefs to Oama's.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
cmitch is offline  
post #16 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
430
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
The idea that Obama holds the same opinions as Wright because they happen to know each other is a pile of horseshit.
That maybe true but it is also a pile of horseshit that Obama never heard any of these sentiments in the 20 years he has known Wright.
430 is offline  
post #17 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So you are saying just hearing something makes you think a certain way? I think that is horseshit.

Obama is a black man in America, with a culture with it's own idiotic conventional wisdom as the white culture has as well. For example, I'm able to discern inspite of what I have heard in church that the earth is not 5,000 years old and that gay people are not abominations to God who deserve death, and I certainly think the idea that some Man God floated into the heavens after he spent his career raising the dead a somewhat ridiculous idea as well as I would the idea that the CIA causes aids. But I heard some good stuff too, like not fucking my old lady in the ass.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #18 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DestroyerW140's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Didn't read all your comments guys, dont have to. I'm guessing most of you wannabe's actually loved the speach and then consumed massive amounts of KFC and watermelon in celebration. I loved it too though. I'm as giddy as a school girl over it. Almost as if Jerimiah was paid by Clinton to do this speach, things couldn't be better. I can listen to it all day long plus his follow ups today were just icing on the cake. Yesterday the Reverend stabbed Obama in the back, today he's just twisting the knife. Keep it coming Jerimiah!.
DestroyerW140 is offline  
post #19 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DestroyerW140's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
Obama is a black man in America, with a culture with it's own idiotic conventional wisdom as the white culture has as well.
Thought he was half white?. Its alright FTL, I think Obama forgets that alot too.
DestroyerW140 is offline  
post #20 of 279 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DestroyerW140's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 View Post
That maybe true but it is also a pile of horseshit that Obama never heard any of these sentiments in the 20 years he has known Wright.
To even think, no, to even have the thought flash by that Obama was in no way influenced by the Reverend would incredibly naiive. Obama is an extension of the good Reverend. We are talking 20 years!. Wright married Obama, baptized his children, Obama's books title is even a quote from Wright!. I said this all along and I was right.
DestroyerW140 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Free speech vs hate speech: Who is the judge? Botnst Off-Topic 5 04-26-2008 07:15 AM
    Now That Was A Speech! JimSmith Off-Topic 527 04-03-2008 07:50 PM
    Reverend Charles ThrillKill Off-Topic 1 03-14-2008 07:51 PM
    Reverend compares Ken Lay to Martin Luther King Jr, Jesus at funeral firstmb Off-Topic 1 07-16-2006 07:18 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome