Grass - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Hey, having a peeve doesn't mean I have a general solution!

In my case, I have been planting trees & shrubs that are mostly native to this area. All of them are good wildlife and/bird food and/or nectar producers. That they shade the ground and kill-off the grass is a definite plus.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Lawns are one of my pet peeves about American culture.
yeah, tell it to those idiots with antifreeze green lawns laden with chemicals creating unnecessary runoffs, Subzero fridges and Gaggeneau cooktops but still order in from local Chinese takeout five times a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
You know why we have lawns? Because Frederick Olmstead studied the English country estates and thought the "lawns" (often the commons) were grand. Those lawns were maintained by over-grazing sheep, but that's another story (read "Tragedy of the Commons").

So he began incorporating lawns into the megawealthy estates of the eastern seaboard. See, our plutocrats, for all their money, had English nobility envy. If some clown with a title in England had a lawn then the plutocrat should have one, too. And speaking of sheep, the American middleclass wanted to feel like a Cabot or a Vanderbilt (a second derivative English Nobleman) so he had to have a lawn, too. Nevermind that the lawn is an imitation of an overgrazed sheep pasture. Did the Vanderbilts and the folks in Levitown have sheep to keep their pasturage over-grazed? NO! So being innovative Americans, we develop mechanical sheep. Also had to develop artificial poop because well, artificial sheep don't make anything more than atmospheric pollutants.

So every week you go out there and push your mechanical sheep across your overgrazed pasture, thank Olmstead.

Baaaaaa!

B
YouTube - Monty Python Twit Olympics

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I live in an area where you can face fines for planting non-native trees and shrubs.

But shade? Shade is just a distant dream, I'm afraid...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bqtnst
Hey, having a peeve doesn't mean I have a general solution!

In my case, I have been planting trees & shrubs that are mostly native to this area. All of them are good wildlife and/bird food and/or nectar producers. That they shade the ground and kill-off the grass is a definite plus.

B
I understand that, I just think you should consider the ecological benefits of grass versus some of the alternatives. Your botanistic side may thank you.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I understand that, I just think you should consider the ecological benefits of grass versus some of the alternatives. Your botanistic side may thank you.
Oh I do, I do. That's why I treat my lawn as I do -- contemptuously and with disdain as I slowly abuse it into non-existence.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Native grasses are the way to go and I don't mean injun, TK.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So, a few things.

1) We actually have a lot of land in the USA....so why not?
2) It's tough for kids to play catch with the dogs or with pops with all the trees and underbrush left around.
3) God only knows what kind of animals & bugs can lurk around in that kind of shit.
4) Dirt + torrential rain = mud pit. Not very attractive.
1. And make the entire US a uniform landscape of Levittown with pink flamingoes gracing the front lawn of every house.
2. Many municipalities with vision and foresight have poured their resources into creating excellent public parks with playing fields and playgrounds.
3. tsk, tsk, typical man vs. nature where man has to prevail in controlling nature attitude. Even a well tended lawn can harbor ticks - it's an inevitable fact of life especially here in the Northeast. Might as well reintroduce local vegetation that supports mini-ecosystem and enjoy discovering with the kids how full of life the backyard is. The very fact that you use the term 'bugs' to describe all insect life I find it a lost opportunity.
4. A little ingenuity in planting and ever slight manipulation of ground plane can do wonders to drainage. Not all ground surfaces not covered by lawn has to be dirt. Then again, I have not visited Oklahoma therefore I do not know if the term dust bowl is an understatement.

Quote:
In deference to desert dwellers, pouring a bunch of lava rocks (interesting how they're also found in propane barbecue grills) on the yard and calling it done isn't exactly a workable solution for the rest of the country.

So, if it's not grass, what else is a civilized society to do with the ground surrounding thier abodes??!?
I hear ya.
Think locally, act globally.

I found clovers make just as attractive groundcover (they flower too) in lieu of lawn in my area of country, and especially at my property which is predominantly a north-facing slope where maintaining a lawn can be often costly and a losing battle. Add to that pachysandra borders accented with ferns and forsythia bush and I have 90% of the 1-acre grounds covered.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A grass lawn is just Satan's merkin vexing us in a mocking fashion
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 PM

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Haku
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
I also mowed my grass this week and I ran over some dog shit, and one turd made it all the way to Louiesville. Just ask yosey.

Dems is harsh words
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator RC Colasģ & Moon Piesģ

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
A grass lawn is just Satan's merkin vexing us in a mocking fashion
I am gradually paving mine over. My next project will be a wide, black ribbon of asphalt that will connect the back end of my recently elongated concrete driveway with the front end of my parking pad (destined to become the floor of my garage).

More to come. The dogs will be so confused.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in