Even Liberals Are Fed Up With Mainstream Media - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1995 500SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The sad reality is this: The mainstream "political" TV channels have their own agenda. They decide what bits and pieces we are allowed to see and hear. With each sound bite they distort, exagerate and pontificate about the impact on you and me, the simple act of doing so, helps create the desired outcome they have scripted. They clearly can make or break any candidate by manipulating these news clips, and then selecting one candidate's supporter over another to comment upon them, to ultimately establish a secondary campaign to sway viewers any way they want. Sure we can hope everyone can see through all the crap but I am afraid many voters listen to them and do their bidding once they get to the polls. If these "politicos" want to extend the race because it boosts their ratings they can easily display one candidate in a positive way while knocking down the other and they do it all the time. Clearly this is evident when an item is discussed by a Clinton supporter vs. an Obama supporter or a McCain supporter. One would think that there are three completely different issues being discussed. But often the support may only be coming from one side - there must be a simple reason for that. Look back at some of these "shows" and it is obvious that this happens time and time again, and we are powerless to make them stop and be objective reporters. I find it so discouraging and painful when show after show uses sensationalized footage to advance one candidate over an other in ways that transend responsible reporting. Maybe many viewers just are not ready to make up their own minds about these things and would rather be manipulated by reporters and networks. After all they get paid big money and they ARE on Tv, maybe they ARE smarter than you and me, they know better how we should think and what we should feel -right? And they tell us all the time - what we should think and how we should feel; and they should know - right?

"Character is not the main thing, it is the only thing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBenz View Post
The sad reality is this: The mainstream "political" TV channels have their own agenda. They decide what bits and pieces we are allowed to see and hear. With each sound bite they distort, exagerate and pontificate about the impact on you and me, the simple act of doing so, helps create the desired outcome they have scripted. They clearly can make or break any candidate by manipulating these news clips, and then selecting one candidate's supporter over another to comment upon them, to ultimately establish a secondary campaign to sway viewers any way they want. Sure we can hope everyone can see through all the crap but I am afraid many voters listen to them and do their bidding once they get to the polls. If these "politicos" want to extend the race because it boosts their ratings they can easily display one candidate in a positive way while knocking down the other and they do it all the time. Clearly this is evident when an item is discussed by a Clinton supporter vs. an Obama supporter or a McCain supporter. One would think that there are three completely different issues being discussed. But often the support may only be coming from one side - there must be a simple reason for that. Look back at some of these "shows" and it is obvious that this happens time and time again, and we are powerless to make them stop and be objective reporters. I find it so discouraging and painful when show after show uses sensationalized footage to advance one candidate over an other in ways that transend responsible reporting. Maybe many viewers just are not ready to make up their own minds about these things and would rather be manipulated by reporters and networks. After all they get paid big money and they ARE on Tv, maybe they ARE smarter than you and me, they know better how we should think and what we should feel -right? And they tell us all the time - what we should think and how we should feel; and they should know - right?
Are you talking about NEWS or Commentary and Opinion shows like O'Rielly and Beck? Those are two different animals.

If you are talking about Commentary, yes, they do massage the message. That is why folks tune in. To listen to the person they like tell them what it is, from the left or right. And the guests are usually accommodating to that view.

Now if you are talking about the NEWS Department, editing and massaging the News to fit beliefs does not happen with the frequency that gets talked about. There simply is not time. Most of the stories are "frozen" within 15 minutes of getting video and once the first broadcast is out, the tone is set. Those of us who watch the loop entirely too much know how annoying it is to see the same footage, soundbites and cut-ins throughout the day. Only on a really hot story do they have [or take] time to reset the story more than once.

And editing/producing is done by the person on duty, no time to get someone with an agenda. And anyone that has spent time in a network production room knows there are more heated political arguments there than BWOT could ever have.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1995 500SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mostly Commentary and opinion shows. They seem to attract more attention than straight "Evening News" channels, especially when a State is gearing up for a primary. These are the shows that I believe go out of their way to manipulate not report events and comments. I agree with your assessment that the "6 o'clock news" type program cannot devote resources to such biased reporting. They probably need to select stories to present from dozens that may or may not be newsworthy. I don't believe they are the MEDIA this thread is fed up about. Oh sure sometimes even they get nuts but the shows like Election HQ, Hannity and whoever, The O' factor and the rest need to be slapped up side the head - but money talks and sponsors pay - and damn ethics and decency. I go out of my way not to watch these programs but I hear about their "programs" the next day at work and occasionally tune in to see if what I hear is accurate - clearly the viewers are being fed half truths, missquotes, and worse. You sound like you might be in the business. They give all reporters a bad image - why is nothing done? As I said before is it just about money?!

"Character is not the main thing, it is the only thing."
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBenz View Post
Mostly Commentary and opinion shows. They seem to attract more attention than straight "Evening News" channels, especially when a State is gearing up for a primary. These are the shows that I believe go out of their way to manipulate not report events and comments. I agree with your assessment that the "6 o'clock news" type program cannot devote resources to such biased reporting. They probably need to select stories to present from dozens that may or may not be newsworthy. I don't believe they are the MEDIA this thread is fed up about. Oh sure sometimes even they get nuts but the shows like Election HQ, Hannity and whoever, The O' factor and the rest need to be slapped up side the head - but money talks and sponsors pay - and damn ethics and decency. I go out of my way not to watch these programs but I hear about their "programs" the next day at work and occasionally tune in to see if what I hear is accurate - clearly the viewers are being fed half truths, missquotes, and worse. You sound like you might be in the business. They give all reporters a bad image - why is nothing done? As I said before is it just about money?!
About 35-40% of my systems consulting work in the past 20 years has been in the Media and Entertainment Industry on a national and international level. It has given me a really good inside view of the workings of the news industry from a nuts and bolts perspective. Also, it has given me a chance to dig deeper into the decision making processes involved as I architected one of the digital newsrooms for one of the large networks.

Foolish boy here also decided to try for a PhD in Media and Culture but has been dragging my feet for several years. Fortunately most of the other participants are also too busy to give it full focus so we go at a less challenging pace.

The reason Commentary like O'Reily or Hannity or Rush don't stop is that there is a market, there are folks that like that type of programming and it is within their right to broadcast it. As long as viewers don't confuse those opinions with research based facts, everything goes OK. It is when a drum is beat with erroneous information for so long a period of time [whether intention or simply by partisan delivery] that it becomes "fact" that we have an issue. Then we [as consumers of the media] have to decide if there was intentional propaganda or simply overzealous, yet uninformed supporters of a cause.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Are you talking about NEWS or Commentary and Opinion shows like O'Rielly and Beck? Those are two different animals.

If you are talking about Commentary, yes, they do massage the message. That is why folks tune in. To listen to the person they like tell them what it is, from the left or right. And the guests are usually accommodating to that view.

Now if you are talking about the NEWS Department, editing and massaging the News to fit beliefs does not happen with the frequency that gets talked about. There simply is not time. Most of the stories are "frozen" within 15 minutes of getting video and once the first broadcast is out, the tone is set. Those of us who watch the loop entirely too much know how annoying it is to see the same footage, soundbites and cut-ins throughout the day. Only on a really hot story do they have [or take] time to reset the story more than once.

And editing/producing is done by the person on duty, no time to get someone with an agenda. And anyone that has spent time in a network production room knows there are more heated political arguments there than BWOT could ever have.
What I hate is Commentary disguised as News, which is exactly what the major media talking heads are all about, and most of the drive-by media such as the NYT, LAT, etc... At least O'Rielly, et.al. make no bones about what they are about!

Don't believe everything you think
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
It's about time BO gets vetted

© All photographs and likenesses of Multipurpose are protected under copyright
law. Any use of photographs in whole or in part is strictly prohibited
unless authorization is granted in writing by copyright holder. All rights
reserved.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
What I hate is Commentary disguised as News, which is exactly what the major media talking heads are all about, and most of the drive-by media such as the NYT, LAT, etc... At least O'Rielly, et.al. make no bones about what they are about!
Not really, the Editorial pages of those papers print both liberal and conservative op/ed pieces daily and the News sections pull most of their National stuff straight off AP, UPI and Reuters which are about as balanced as is possible considering they supply for both liberal and conservative newspapers, broadcast and websites.

You are correct that O'Rielly et.al make no bones about where they stand. They are on the Commentary side of the biz. Same with Lou Dobbs who is just about as pro Business and was as anti Clinton as is possible to be. They are NOT news.

If you go back to the sixties and NBC NEWS, the Huntley Brinkley Report was the first NEWS broadcast that intentionally put on a Conservative and Liberal anchor to do the news. That worked until there was a question that Cronkite spun the Vietnam war and then all three networks tried to back away from that "loss of trust". It worked until Rather's little issues.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in