OMFG GREEN - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
(Thread Starter)

Why is conservationism being so loud lately?

Wal*Mart™ just told me that if I(and every other Wal*Mart™ shopper) buy just one GE compact fluorescent(sp?) light-bulb from them, that I'll save the Earth. It'll be like taking 11M automobiles off the streets.

Are you green? How green? I'm more purple.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My green is as green as my green backs.

So you spent $11 for a 3-pack of high efficient light bulbs as oppose to $4 for a 3-pack of regular to shave $1 off your electric bill. How long it takes to get the pay-off from those bulbs? I would imagine most house holds have more than 3 lamps.

The majority of the electricity usage comes mostly from heating/cooling, and TV. What a few light bulbs can do for your bill?

Sounds like a scam to me.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 AM
worst mod in BW history
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My wife went nuts and replaced all the recessed halogen spots in the basement with those ugly pigtail looking things.....were talking 16 here and they poke, rather hideously about 1/2" from the housings . The new ones aren't that bad, like a soft incandescent. She also replaced the ones around the house and in the garage that we normally leave on all night to ward away demons and insomniac Jehova's witnesses..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, the new bulbs last 7X longer so the cost savings is actually pretty good in the long run. I have been able to tell a difference.

One of the more interesting little things that I found that sucks energy is the surge strip of wall warts that we all have. Even when the appliances are not on, the wall warts are still humming along. Estimates for the tech savvy house is $60-75 savings per year if you just turn the surge unit off at night and kick it back on the next morning. Only thing I took off the surge unit was the wireless phone base and the router. all the little chargers and speakers and palm charger and crap like that doesn't need to be running at night.

There are now 4 kinds of the new light bulbs which use different form factors. They should fit in the recesses of Chateau Thrill.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Now, they're going to have to figure out how the hell they're going to dispose of all that mercury they're using to make them.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1976 450 SL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Environmentalist are the people who decided to save the trees, and created the plastic grocery bag that are now hanging from the trees!

The bags also dont break down in the landfills , they say it takes thousands of years for them to deteriorate.

Trees are a renewable resource.

Dont forget to dispose of properly your burned out florescent mercury bulbs, we'll deal with that down the road.

Green people, for the most part are fucked up weirdos! Good at only fucking shit up!

Didnt they have something to do with catalytic converters, a must for cars?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: