BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
When I find myself in times of trouble, a politician speaks to me,
speaking words of wisdom, Huckabee.
And in my hour of darkness he is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, Huckabee.

Huckabee, Huckabee, Huckabee, Huckabee.
Whisper words of wisdom, Huckabee.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, Huckabee.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. Huckabee.

Huckabee, Huckabee .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, Huckabee.
I wake up to the sound of music, a politician sings sweet sounds to me,
singing words of wisdom, Huckabee.

Huckabee, Huckabee, .....

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Ha!

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2005 SL 500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post

Huckabee's empathy cools pundits' hot air
Posted on Wed, Mar. 26, 2008Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY LEONARD PITTS JR.
lpitts@miamiherald.com
Thank you, Mike Huckabee.

It was getting to be a bit much, the marathon denunciations of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright by the professional chatterers of FOX News, MSNBC and the like. Their screams of high dudgeon had grown shrill, their show of moral affront was wearing thin. And then Huckabee, invited by MSNBC last week to condemn Wright's bitter words, invoked instead the era of racial segregation that shaped Barack Obama's former pastor.

''And you know what?'' he said. 'Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment, and you have to just say, `I probably would, too. In fact, I may have had more of a chip on my shoulder, had it been me.' ''

It bears repeating: a black Mike Huckabee would be more angry than Jeremiah Wright, not less. It was an admission of startling, unexpected insight and, dare I say, Christian generosity. A conservative white man invited white men and women to project themselves into dark skin, to imagine how bitter they might be, had they come of age in an era where law, religion, media and custom said they were less than truly human beings.

Huckabee's words helped me crystallize something I had been struggling to define as I watched the controversy mushroom and metastasize. I could no more defend what Rev. Wright said than I could defend what Don Imus, Michael Richards, Mel Gibson or Tim Hardaway said. And yet as the controversy swelled, overtaking Obama's pastor, Obama's speech, Obama's grandmama, something was nagging me and I didn't know what it was.

Now I do. There is to all this a sense of the overdone. Methinks they doth protest too much.

And here, I'll repeat for emphasis: I intend no defense of what Rev. Wright said. After all, he said obnoxious things: the AIDS virus was created by the government; Louis Farrakhan is a great man; God damn America. Anyone who objects to that is justified. Anyone who asks why Obama remained in Wright's church for 20 years raises a fair question.

But on the other hand: when Ronald Reagan -- not an associate, but Reagan himself -- stood on soil soaked with the blood of three murdered civil rights workers and declared his support of ''state's rights,'' was he required to make a major speech to explain? When George W. Bush spoke at racist Bob Jones University, when John McCain supported the Confederate battle flag, was there a full-fledged media frenzy? Was there marathon, wall-to-wall coverage of the type we have lately seen?

Of course not.

Some of us are using this controversy to peddle a false equivalence, decrying White's perceived bigotry and pretending moral wounds on par with those inflicted by Imus, Richards, Gibson and Hardaway. And failing -- or refusing -- to understand that those wounds derive their hurtful power not simply from what was said, but from the fact that those same things have been said with impunity for years turning to centuries to justify denying that black people, Jewish people and gay people were people at all. A straight, white, Christian American male does not have access to the kind of pain that causes. For which he should be thankful.

So, when Wright claims a federal conspiracy to spread AIDS among blacks, you might say, well, that's crazy. And it is. About as crazy as a federal conspiracy to use black men as unwitting guinea pigs for 40 years to test what happens when syphilis goes untreated. Which, of course, happened.

This is the context that has been missing from the high-minded denunciations and statements of mortal offense. This is what has gone unspoken. Does it excuse what Jeremiah Wright said? No.

But it sure as heck explains.
Well said feel the love! i banned myself from OT(lol) since i found many people don't want to discuss or debate issues like this based on reality and true history. thank you!

05' SL500 - 06'RR SPORT
"Stop acting like you hit a triple, When you were Born on third base"
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1995 500SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Enough already with the JW issue. There are bigger issues out there that the media could and should focus their attention on, but noooo anything to get their rating numbers higher. I am surprised they haven't talked more about Hillary's past, my God there is enough there to fill all the stations' air time 24/7. The problem I see is we don't really have anyone to vote for - Ultra right or ultra left - neither can be good. The core liberals and the core conservatives refuse to move a bit toward the middle. With the ever present media and the way candidates and their families are placed under the televised microscope it is no wonder we are unable to attract the best people for the toughest job in America. Every sound bite, comment and body language is disected ad nauseam to the delight of those who harbor fear, resentment, or racial/gender/age hate - to create BLOGS and youtube segments that are nothing more than entertainment for the uninformed and narrow minded. The real issues that affect you and me every day are not being addressed. Fuel prices are out of control while big oil reports Billions in profits. The price of everything is going up, I still can't believe the price of milk and I know we don't import that from the Middle East. Taxes, medical costs, perscriptions and day to day necessities are draining us. The War in Iraq has cost thousands of American lives and countless dollars, and we have yet to address Iran and other threats to our way of life. We need to get past these distractions and get back to figuring out how we are going to fix this economic crisis we are now in. We can start by not buying into all the crap we are fed by the the media taken out of context and played over and over again. Enough.

"Character is not the main thing, it is the only thing."
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Obama Speech Fails to Assuage White Indiana Voters
Heidi Przybyla
Tue Apr 1, 10:00 AM ET

April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Andrea Helmer was interested in Barack Obama until she heard sound bites of his fiery pastor's sermons. Last week, she volunteered for Hillary Clinton's campaign in Indiana.

``As things came out regarding some of the things his pastor has said, I got concerned,'' said Helmer, a 36-year-old respiratory therapist and mother of two in Evansville, Indiana.

Interviews with dozens of Democrats in this overwhelmingly white region -- where voters will go to the polls in the May 6 primary -- suggest residual concerns over the controversy involving Obama's former pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

To be sure, this flies in the face of most polls taken after Obama's widely praised March 18 speech on race and the Wright controversy. In a March 30 Gallup survey, he had widened his lead over Clinton among Democratic voters to 10 points. A week earlier, he was also up 10 points in a Pew Research poll.

In an NBC/Wall Street Journal national survey last week, he ran slightly ahead of Republican John McCain in a general- election match-up, while Clinton ran slightly behind.

The polls are ``good news'' for Obama, said Jenny Backus, an unaligned Democratic strategist. ``He was able to use what was a pretty potentially dangerous issue for his campaign as a way to reinforce his campaign message.''

Unease Among Whites

Still, there are stirrings of unease among white voters, including those who fear the issue will hurt Obama in a general election. Pew also found that 39 percent of all white voters who had heard of the controversy, including Republicans and independents, said it made them less favorable toward Obama.

John Friend, an uncommitted Democrat and Evansville city councilman, said Republicans may use Obama's ties to the pastor much in the same way they attacked Democratic candidate John Kerry's patriotism in 2004.

``It's going to be like the Swift Boat thing,'' Friend said.

Last month, excerpts of sermons in which Wright is heard saying ``God damn America'' and ``U.S. of KKKA'' were broadcast on television and distributed over the Internet. In response, Obama delivered what his aides billed as a major address on race on March 18 in which he condemned the remarks.

That didn't repair the damage for some white voters, said Trent Van Haaften, an Indiana state representative from Mount Vernon who is backing Obama.

One Visit

``The 10-second sound bite'' is all that many voters know about the Illinois senator, who so far has visited Indiana just once this year, Van Haaften said.

While Obama, 46, is far behind Clinton, 60, in the April 22 Pennsylvania primary, the Indiana contest is competitive. Even if he loses in Pennsylvania, winning in Indiana and North Carolina two weeks later could allow him to wrap up the nomination.

The Obama campaign had long seen friendly territory in Indiana and Helmer's majority white and rural eighth district, which borders the candidate's home state of Illinois.

The recent intense focus on Wright is complicating Obama's efforts to appeal to some in culturally conservative southwest Indiana, which has a record of electing Republicans and conservative Democrats. Evansville is 86 percent white and 11 percent black.

For Helmer, who said she is worried about the slumping economy and rising health-care costs, Clinton, a New York senator, is a familiar figure she associates with the better times of the administration of her husband, former President Bill Clinton.

More Overtime

``Back when Clinton was in office our money was more stable, jobs were coming in, my husband had a lot more overtime,'' Helmer said.

That familiarity, along with media coverage of the pastor controversy, is pushing voters toward Clinton, said Democrat Justin Jarvis, a 34-year-old Evansville health-care worker.

``I know people who were previously Obama supporters who view it as reverse racism at its worst,'' he said.

Michael Rivera, a 33-year-old computer programmer from Evansville, said he had donated to the Obama campaign and now believes his electability is damaged.

``I understood where he was coming from, but I don't think anyone else will,'' said Rivera, who currently is backing Clinton.

Obama Response

Obama has spent the past two weeks responding to questions about the issue and last week said he would have left the church if Wright hadn't announced plans to retire and acknowledged his comments were offensive.

On March 25, Clinton fanned the flames by saying Wright ``would not have been my pastor.''

Phil Hoy, a 71-year-old retired minister who represents Evansville in the General Assembly and supports Obama, said the episode is hard to overcome in his community.

``We are not the most progressive state,'' said Hoy, who belongs to the same denomination as Obama, the United Church of Christ.

In addition, Clinton visited Evansville last month.

Obama may be able to turn Indiana around. He is stepping up efforts to court white rural voters in Pennsylvania, where he is on a six-day bus tour with Senator Bob Casey.

Evansville Mayor Jonathan Weinzapfel, who hasn't endorsed a candidate, said he expects the picture to change if Obama makes a similar effort in his area.

``Before Senator Clinton announced her visit the only real enthusiasm I heard was for Senator Obama,'' he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Heidi Przybyla in Washington at hprzybyla@bloomberg.net

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Ha!
I must confess, I stole the idea from the Capital Steps April fools radio promo.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Obama Speech Fails to Assuage White Indiana Voters
I don't blame the Indiana voters I would not want some Black man rolling up and try to "assauge" me either, shit just the word alone makes me think he is carrying a tube of KY in his back pocket...............

But I will still vote for him..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in