Negative U.S. media linked to increased insurgent attacks - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Turn it inside-out: Would we not all feel some serious relief and even joy if the general mainstream US media suddenly bloomed in a fit of accurate reportage? Would it not give us hope that those US folks finally understood that factual reporting is more important than enflaming the readers to a particular point of view?

B
Fixed it fer ya...


Seems apropos, given all the self-recriminations from the majors when they reflected upon their fawning pro-administration spin during coverage of the run-up to the Iraq fiasco.
Zeitgeist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Fucked it fer ya...


Seems apropos, given all the self-recriminations from the majors when they reflected upon their fawning pro-administration spin during coverage of the run-up to the Iraq fiasco.
Are you suggesting that the media in the USA is more or less biased than other western media? Do you find Arab media on par with western media?

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Biased toward their home governments? Dunno. Al Jazeera puts forth news from an Arab perspective, and our (US) news channels put forth news from a US perspective. Do you have a problem with that?
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post


Seems apropos, given all the self-recriminations from the majors when they reflected upon their fawning pro-administration spin during coverage of the run-up to the Iraq fiasco.
You mean with presidential quotes like this one?

"We gave Saddam a chance, not a license. If we turn our backs on his defiance, the credibility of US power as a check against Saddam will be destroyed. We will not only have allowed Saddam to shatter the inspection system that controls his weapons of mass destruction, we will also have fatally undercut the fear of force that stops Saddam from acting to gain domination of the region."

By whom? Bill Clinton, December 16, 1998, address to the nation on the bombing of Iraq.

The press was just providing continuing coverage of a government practice and policy that started in the late 90s, actually much earlier with Saddam's invasion of Kuwait. You have examples of "fawning?'

You anti-war hacks seem to think our conflict with Iraq started when President Bush was elected and then you take the measure of everyone based on how they assess his decision to invade. This was a decision that had a history and a context that you conveniently overlook.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
bottomline1 is offline  
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
You mean with presidential quotes like this one?

"We gave Saddam a chance, not a license. If we turn our backs on his defiance, the credibility of US power as a check against Saddam will be destroyed. We will not only have allowed Saddam to shatter the inspection system that controls his weapons of mass destruction, we will also have fatally undercut the fear of force that stops Saddam from acting to gain domination of the region."

By whom? Bill Clinton, December 16, 1998, address to the nation on the bombing of Iraq.

The press was just providing continuing coverage of a government practice and policy that started in the late 90s, actually much earlier with Saddam's invasion of Kuwait. You have examples of "fawning?'

You anti-war hacks seem to think our conflict with Iraq started when President Bush was elected and then you take the measure of everyone based on how they assess his decision to invade. This was a decision that had a history and a context that you conveniently overlook.
Huh? My point is that the media has a history of simply aping and running with whatever the administration (any administration) shouts in its most bellicose manner. The media should question any and all uses of the military, at any time in history--that's why they have 1st Amendment protections.

Uh huh, and there's a history and context "justifying" the attack, invasion and occupation of every nation on earth...what's yer fuckin' point, chumly? Your guy elected to pursue an unwarranted conflict for no good fucking reason; am I just supposed to accept his absurd decision 'cause a bunch of fuktards made some speeches about pooping on Saddam's penny-loafers?
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Huh? My point is that the media has a history of simply aping and running with whatever the administration (any administration) shouts in its most bellicose manner. The media should question any and all uses of the military, at any time in history--that's why they have 1st Amendment protections.

Uh huh, and there's a history and context "justifying" the attack, invasion and occupation of every nation on earth...what's yer fuckin' point, chumly? Your guy elected to pursue an unwarranted conflict for no good fucking reason; am I just supposed to accept his absurd decision 'cause a bunch of fuktards made some speeches about pooping on Saddam's penny-loafers?
Ok, let's deny Boeing military contracts forever, shut down Ft Lewis and McChord AFB and see how you'll do up there. Can't make it on Space Needle tourism and Microsoft bonuses.

As for "unwarranted and no good reason" don't be a half-wit. Tell the other half of the story, back to and including Saddam's invasion of Kuwait and the terms of his surrender which he was bound to obey. The Iraq war didn't begin with "Shock and Awe"; that's when it began to end .

You seem invested in our defeat over there. You own humiliaton.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
bottomline1 is offline  
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Cruise Control
 
Zeitgeist's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 51,730
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Uh...care to craft that little soliloquy again; this time in English?
Zeitgeist is offline  
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Seems clearly written to me. He thinks you are a defeatist and that drives your perspective.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
BadBenz94's Avatar
 
Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Location: Kankakee,IL
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
So why do you consider MediaSource reliable? It is on the internet, you can't check the sources because the contributions come from everywhere and anyone. I was unsuccessful at searching for MediaSource on its page, so I would be suspect that it is funded by a Harvard liberal at the Kennedy School of Government. Who's really behind it?


Im surprised McBear still hasn't tried to rebut or disqualify your claims. Interesting.........

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
BadBenz94 is offline  
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 11,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
You mean with presidential quotes like this one?

"We gave Saddam a chance, not a license. If we turn our backs on his defiance, the credibility of US power as a check against Saddam will be destroyed. We will not only have allowed Saddam to shatter the inspection system that controls his weapons of mass destruction, we will also have fatally undercut the fear of force that stops Saddam from acting to gain domination of the region."

By whom? Bill Clinton, December 16, 1998, address to the nation on the bombing of Iraq.

The press was just providing continuing coverage of a government practice and policy that started in the late 90s, actually much earlier with Saddam's invasion of Kuwait. You have examples of "fawning?'

You anti-war hacks seem to think our conflict with Iraq started when President Bush was elected and then you take the measure of everyone based on how they assess his decision to invade. This was a decision that had a history and a context that you conveniently overlook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Huh??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Uh...care to craft that little soliloquy again; this time in English?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Seems clearly written to me. He thinks you are a defeatist and that drives your perspective.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF OWNAGE IN THE MORNING!!!
Multipurpose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Drive-by media spins negative again... Jayhawk Off-Topic 20 11-28-2007 11:00 PM
    Documents seized in Iraq reveal insurgent plan for attack in US, ABC News reports Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 15 01-22-2007 07:30 PM
    Cyber Attacks on US Linked to Chinese Military firstmb Off-Topic 3 12-17-2005 01:33 AM
    ASR/BAS linked to gearbox? Dolphin27 R170 SLK-Class 5 12-12-2005 12:09 PM
    Anyone else think the negative camber of the rear wheels is a bit... uhh, negative? Cap - Baltimore, MD R170 SLK-Class 1 08-16-2001 06:10 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome