post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
I read the words in the article cited from the OP, and agree with her assessment of where racism began and where we are today, I wouldn't expect that anyone could disagree with that. I don't see this diffusing the issue in the democratic presidential race, however. I wonder, now that you know her a little better, what would you expect her to do if she happened into a church and heard a sermon like the one which stirred this up . . . think she'd go back?
From the discussion I listened to on NPR, the answer to that question is not crystal clear. It would depend on many of the circumstances. The author of the biography noted her support of GWB was initially a conundrum to those who thought they knew her. In the end he concluded her support for an individual is quite dependent on the role she gets to play - the closer to the seat of power and the more influence she has the more she is willing to adopt new philosophical outlooks if they are required to get the position of higher influence or more direct contact with the one in the seat of power.

Not entirely a bad approach, as with greater influence on the one in the seat of power the more you get to influence the making of history, but also one that is not likely to resonate well with voters. If Reverend Wright had been perceived as a necessary step in her path to get closer to the seat of power, it seems she might very well have been tolerant of his sermons. In the end though, the likelihood of such a course of action was zero, and today Reverend Wright is so far from her goal of working in close proximity to real power, you will never see her answer your question. So she won't have to act out that hypothetical situation to support either of our speculative answers.

But I got from the author her choices are not based on an internal set of hard, fast and guiding beliefs. She is more ambitious and realistic than that and way too uninterested in becoming a public spectacle to run for elected office. Jim

Last edited by JimSmith; 03-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Driving home this evening and listening to NPR on the radio, I heard an interview with a guy who wrote a sort of biography of Condoleeza Rice. Sort of one because she is obviously still generating material for a real biography since she isn't yet dead. I believe the book is called "Twice as Good" or something like that.

JayReilley better buy it and read it, along with a few others who sing her praises here. She ain't what you boys think she is. She is a lot more interesting that I ever thought she was, which should give you pinheads reason to pause. Jim
Condi is a cunt!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: