Tempting yes, logical no, must wait and see, yes... - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
^These are now collector cars, not drivers, who gives a shit? If you need the ultimate proof talk to a ferrari collector. If you want a driver buy a fucking Camry.
There is no "explaining" collectors. People collect all manner of kitsch and shit. In some circles it is considered a neurotic condition when people compulsively surround themselves with worthless shit and call it a collection.

You keep blowing shit at Ferrari and other exotic cars from Italy. While I am not about to fall in love with any of them either, there is clearly a difference in the human skill level applied to design and build a machine that, for its time defines the limits of human engineering, manufacturing and fabrication capabilities and a late 1970's to mid 1980's mass produced US auto industry car filled with make believe features to create an illusion, or delusion, of grandeur. A Ferrari is "collectible" because it represents such an integrated effort, exercised with such intensity. Same with Duesenbergs. Although I would be more inclined to collect a Duesenberg Model J, hell, any Duesenberg if I had lots and lots of extra cash, than a Ferrari.

Mass produced cars are machines to me first and, other than after hundreds of thousands of miles of faithful service, really don't inspire a lot of emotional responses. I confess I like the peculiarity of Diesels, mainly because at one time in the past they were extremely economical to own and operate. The price of Diesel fuel of late has eaten into that benefit significantly.

But, I am sorry, Shane. I cannot see past the farce the Olds Toronado you fawned over when starting this thread is, in reality. If you think you can make money with it by finding a bigger sucker to buy it from you for enough of a margin to cover the cost of money and then a little, more power to you. I wish you luck. I would be very afraid that those suckers are going to be some of the first to lose their homes and other worldly belongings in this financial crunch. But that is me. You are much more expert in this - it is your business.

I took your original post as a bit of a request for opinions. For your R&D on the reception of such a vehicle. It represents nothing I would consider collectible. Hell the original owner didn't like enough to actually drive it!

Sponsored Links
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: And what was left was what was guilt was what u gave to me
Location: A cavalcade of strangers came to tear ur world apart
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
^You drive it and you ruin it, there is no way around that fact, genuine collectors know this and absolutely do not drive their prized autos. Period, no exceptions. I have gained some respect back for you since you would wisely choose a Duesenberg over a Ferrari. Just paid $3.89 for diesel tonight and I am pissed.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: