Tempting yes, logical no, must wait and see, yes... - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1276 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Since I don't particularly like the W126 chassis...
Care to elaborate?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Too fucking big
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I guess someone has to find those delusions of grandeur just what the doctor ordered. Jim

I guess some people are so arrogant and rigid in their value system that they cannot see how ignorant and petty they sound in certain fields where they claim intellectual superiority. I feel for you Jim, I do. The Toro is an interesting piece that is not in pace with today's most typical values that you have embraced and treat as unique when in fact it is the most common value system around which of course makes it valueless and ripe for easy manipulation.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I guess some people are so arrogant and rigid in their value system that they cannot see how ignorant and petty they sound in certain fields where they claim intellectual superiority. I feel for you Jim, I do. The Toro is an interesting piece that is not in pace with today's most typical values that you have embraced and treat as unique when in fact it is the most common value system around which of course makes it valueless and ripe for easy manipulation.
Yeah, Shane. You must be right. It was a milestone in American automotive history. What was I thinking?

Jim

PS: I remember now. It is a product from the time period when American auto industry executives made lots of money and ran the business of designing and building cars in this country into the shitter. After two big warnings in the way of the fuel crises. If you want to preserve it as a lesson to be learned I can support that, I guess. Otherwise it is a matter of personal taste. I find it very difficult to get worked up about any aspect of the car. But if fake wood and a fake, stylized roof with faux name appeals to you, have at it. And, I agree it should never be driven. Who really wants to be seen in it?
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^I am disappointed in you, you are evading the subject and relying on broad generalizations, bias, and prejudice to elevate your point of view. Sad. Maybe you should stick to politics or something?
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Shane, personally I like it and it has obviously been well taken care of. SO let's say you do buy it and you put it on your website and soem crazy European with to many euros calls you up, appx. and I know it is a hard question but let's estimate how much could you sell it the crazy European that just loves it?
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
My Oldsmobile in 1982.

I myself was driving a mint green 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale coupe, in the year 1982, as my 1,000 miles a week company car.

I had removed the monolithic cat converter, and ran dual pipes off the 350 4v V8 engine.

The oil was changed every 20 days, I REALLY loved and pampered it.

I absolutely loved driving it, it was the perfect long distance company car around San Francisco highways then.

It felt smooth, creamy, good looking, and powerful, and to me, it was the most powerful and modern looking American car short of a Coupe de ville I could find.

Then at about 106,000 miles, EVERYTHING suddenly began to fall apart.

I could not believe it. I did EVERYTHING right to keep it up and it totally betrayed me.

So I dumped it and bought a Coupe de Ville - and that car was even WORSE!!

Meantime I'd helped a friend at work, go and get a brand new Olds Cutlass Supreme (The best selling car in America at the time!!)

I was so proud, and tried to help her (older Asian lady who knew nothing about cars.

The car was utter lemon. Came with a cracked block the GM refused to fix.
Finally the accellerator stuck and she had a crash.

The lady went and bought a Honda Accord.

I went for Crown Victorias until I discovered Mercedes Benz.

This was the nadir of GM, the worst crap they made.

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT: story of how once loyal GM buyers got FUCKED by Gm in the mid 1980s.
Multiply a million times and you get the idea of what happened to them. Their OWN damed fault for deciding to buiild and sell garbage, when the competition did better.

Their cars - such as the old 1967 Chevelle SS396 may be beautiful to behold and have a wonderful V8 roar, and have nostalgia value.

But I - and many others, like me, were betrayed by their garbage - for me, ANYTHING built after 1979.

The new ones are laughable. They sound like vacuum cleaners with a leaky cannister when you stamp the passing gear.

I would doubt that any of them last longer than the book of monthly payment coupons.

And GM dumped the Oldsmobile. When I had one it was the best selling car name in the USA. I have owned Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadilllac.

Now? Maybe rent one (if forced) but never, ever, ever buy one.

To use Shane's OWN wonderful quote: "$hit dog eat a Milk Bone, what an ugly pile of Fuck"

NEVER AGAIN.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 03-28-2008 at 12:41 PM.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^These are now collector cars, not drivers, who gives a shit? If you need the ultimate proof talk to a ferrari collector. If you want a driver buy a fucking Camry.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Good Transportation vs good for collecting.

Quote:
^These are now collector cars, not drivers, who gives a shit? If you need the ultimate proof talk to a ferrari collector. If you want a driver buy a fucking Camry.
I buy cars to drive not collect. I could not look at that particular 82 Toronado without throwing up.

To each their own, I guess.

WGAS about "collector" cars? What can you do with them? Just look at them? That is MY feeling about those. I love looking at them, though, at car shows or private collections. Of course I do.

But then, I enjoy looking at ART CARS too. Heard of the DMV at "Burning Man"? (DMV = Department of Mutant Vehicles"!!!)

And yes, a couple of weeks ago I just bought myself a Snow country driver.

First brand new car I EVER bought for myself. New '08 Outback. (for snow)

(see just below my avatar)

I hated to have to buy Japanese, (Fuji Heavy Industires) but the car was assembled in Indiana, 65% US parts. Engine and tranny from Japan.

It seems to be very well made. And nothing else in its class like it. So I got one.

Just Ford GM and Chrysler seem to be peddling unreliable, disposable crap, made by floridly overpaid US Union workers, to unsuspecting consumers in America. (Cars like that would be laughed off the road in Europe, where they do NOT suffer that kind of thing gladl)y.

Very UNLIKE that of the three best quality American assembled car lines, viz, Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
^a fucking Camry.
That's my favorite kind of Camry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in