BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Underpaid teachers--the whole story

Our Poor Underpaid Teachers

In other threads I have asserted that one cannot just consider salary to describe teacher pay; you also have to add in the generous benefits. Today in the RMN is statistical data from the Denver School district to support my assertion. The study was funded by two local foundations, one leaning left. The question being addressed was why the district looses its experienced staff before normal retirement. Here are the numbers assuming a teacher begins teaching at age 25.

Decade 1 Salary & Pension $446,259

Decade 2 Salary & Pension $607,779

Decade 3 Salary & Pension $1,400,000

You can see the plan back-loads the pension earning and skimps the newcomers. These teachers can retire at age 55 at near full salary and with a life expectancy of 30 yrs till 85 it is possible to be paid more in retirement than they earned in salary while employed for 30 years.

So the answer to the question is that the older teachers are retiring early because for each year they work, they are losing a year of retirement pay for doing nothing.

Another shocking info: out of the approx $7200 allocated for each student annually, $1420 of that is for retiree benefits.

The best deal of all is the retirement plan is not the 401K which most of the private sector has gone to (a defined contribution plan) but instead is the defined benefit plan which requires the taxpayer to make up any difference between fund earnings and the guaranteed retirement benefit.

So when you hear how teachers are shortchanged you'll know the truth.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton

Last edited by bottomline1; 03-18-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
hmmm
How come I don't believe you?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Yes those teachers are making off like bandits, why just the other day I caught one getting into her Aston Martin DB9 in front of her Gulf Stream V talking on the cell phone about how sorry substitutes are these days.

Are you on quack or something to post something so one sided?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Yeha Shane, like there are no teachers in here to certify this BS
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Colorado? If they could teach the students to visit the dentist once a year it would be worth every penny.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I highly suspect that they're operating like the cosa nostra/Illuminati of the 21st century. They may very well have ordered the WTC hit as retribution for not receiving their monthly payoffs. Yeah, teachers are a corrupt bunch of privileged thugs. We desperately need a renewed effort to dominate The War Against Teachers
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
I will resist the TWAT
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Hey, all teachers can't teach rocket scientist.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I highly suspect that they're operating like the cosa nostra/Illuminati of the 21st century. They may very well have ordered the WTC hit as retribution for not receiving their monthly payoffs. Yeah, teachers are a corrupt bunch of privileged thugs. We desperately need a renewed effort to dominate The War Against Teachers
If we could just cut back on education and pour all our efforts into funding second amendment rights this world would be a much better place. You don't have to be smart if you're packing heat.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1991 190e 2.3 auto
Now go search for the statistics from an AVERAGE school district.... In Richmond CA where I am from, they are loosing teachers because they can't afford to pay them.... My school district has gone bankrupt 4 times in the last 20 years...Every time this happened, ALL teachers from the district lost almost half their pensions(the ones that had already retired). figure loosing half your pension 4 times, and you are looking at going to the soup kitchen to survive....(my grandmother was a teacher for 25 years.... I believe her pension check was about $375 a month after the last bankrupcy..)

Then factor in the fact that in an average school distrct, some teachers spend a good chunk of their salary to buy the necessary school supplies that the schools themselves do not have the money to pay for............Even when you look at the places that pay their teachers well, would you begrudge them the money they have EARNED??? None of us would be where we are today if not for the teachers that spent their days teaching us silly things like how to read, write, etc...

I feel the real reason they loose teachers before they are of retirement age, is they are tired of dealing with the ungratefull pricks(us) that they have to deal with all day. In most major districts, they are also putting up with far more children per class than they are legally supposed to. I come from a family of teachers going back to one room, up hill both ways in the snow schools, to our modern zoo like mad houses.... I am sure my mother-in-law(current teacher) and wife(current teacher) would get a big kick out of how much money that study says she is supposed to be making....

How many people on this forum make more money than the teachers in that study doing jobs that are not nearly as important???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in