LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
DestroyerW140, I have a question for you and be honest: If Obama wins the nomination would you back him? Why or why not?

Last edited by DP; 03-20-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ Funny post of the week.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #283 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 Irish/ Pole
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
hahaha, most of the complainers were getting their cues from Wright's body language because they don't understand Ebonics It's like watching a Hitler clip then saying that he must be saying something but I think I know what it is
Seems like most of the media-wide fire storm has accepted from the get go that Wright is a card carrying racist of some sort, and yet, everyone gets so (rightly) upset with Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton... for playing the 'race' card where it has no productive business to conduct.

I had an uncle Jim that I knew, that whenever I spent at least an hour in his presence, I would hear the term 'jungle bunny' at least once. He never expressed hatred of black people, just mistrust and separateness. I never disowned my uncle Jim but I was embarrassed by him. We've all been handed the racial tensions of our ancestors, the worst rejection of the outsider, and the most loving acceptance of the outsider. What does your future bring? More division and distrust or more togetherness and cooperation?

For those of you wondering what Obama brings to the table as a candidate, this speech on race is 'it' in a nutshell. He lays out the positions of all the interested parties in a way that leaves you knowing he has considered your point of view. He tells you why the 'comments' (made by his reverend) are misguided. He kept insisting that they represent a static view of the world, that they box the thinker into a fixed state of things rather than a call for a choice. And finally he leaves it to 'you the people' to make your voice heard. To clamor for action. To stand up and move forward.

The easier thing he could have done would have been to use the Reverend as a scapegoat, rail against him as 'a man who had betrayed his trust' and let him down as a person. But instead he took the opportunity to say, without vitriol, that this whole nation needs to get past the accusations and mistrusts that linger and let it's opinions out into the open where they can find a resolution that has been denied to them by taboo.

But some people probably don't want to go there, whether it be on the race issue, or foreign policy, or social services... and prefer that the status quo prevail for now. I shall not say at this time what I think about that, and I'm not even black.

-Marty

"...pour out of one vessel into another; and as those old Romans robbed all the cities in the world, we skim the cream of other men's wits, pick the choice flowers of their tilled gardens to set our own sterile plots."
-a Richard Burton
post #284 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:14 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by A264172 View Post
Seems like most of the media-wide fire storm has accepted from the get go that Wright is a card carrying racist of some sort, and yet, everyone gets so (rightly) upset with Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton... for playing the 'race' card where it has no productive business to conduct.

I had an uncle Jim that I knew, that whenever I spent at least an hour in his presence, I would hear the term 'jungle bunny' at least once. He never expressed hatred of black people, just mistrust and separateness. I never disowned my uncle Jim but I was embarrassed by him. We've all been handed the racial tensions of our ancestors, the worst rejection of the outsider, and the most loving acceptance of the outsider. What does your future bring? More division and distrust or more togetherness and cooperation?

For those of you wondering what Obama brings to the table as a candidate, this speech on race is 'it' in a nutshell. He lays out the positions of all the interested parties in a way that leaves you knowing he has considered your point of view. He tells you why the 'comments' (made by his reverend) are misguided. He kept insisting that they represent a static view of the world, that they box the thinker into a fixed state of things rather than a call for a choice. And finally he leaves it to 'you the people' to make your voice heard. To clamor for action. To stand up and move forward.

The easier thing he could have done would have been to use the Reverend as a scapegoat, rail against him as 'a man who had betrayed his trust' and let him down as a person. But instead he took the opportunity to say, without vitriol, that this whole nation needs to get past the accusations and mistrusts that linger and let it's opinions out into the open where they can find a resolution that has been denied to them by taboo.

But some people probably don't want to go there, whether it be on the race issue, or foreign policy, or social services... and prefer that the status quo prevail for now. I shall not say at this time what I think about that, and I'm not even black.
This is why Obama is dangerous for some in here that are entrenched in a world that's gone and has no place among civilized people. Some who heard his speech got scared, some who didn't or just wouldn't but all they did is spew bullshit are as scared and can't stand it; finally a black candidate that's not a token... Wow it must have hit Destroyer a little too early huh? I guess a white woman before a black man is more of the norm in terms of progressive thinking...yeah well we have it backward and some should see this as the opportunity that it is.
post #285 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Too many "ifs" to be believable. If a white guy, raised at the feet of Rev. Fred Phelps in his Westboro Baptist Church, ran for President of the United States--regardless of some easily faked qualities--you would never vote for him IMO. Never!

As for the Cats, I am actually surprised they did as well as they did. They started off very poor this season, 18-12 was a shock. I think many folks are ready for the new coach to go find another bench.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #286 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A264172 View Post
"he's has aligned himself with the beliefs of a rabid racist"

"Wright IS as big a racist as there ever was"

I'm having trouble finding Wright's racist comments.

Can anybody tell me what they were.
How about the one where he said Clinton shouldn't be President cause she was never called a Nigger?.
post #287 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
You probably didn't donate enough to the campaign to achieve Haliburton or Blackwater status and cash in on the GOP welfare program. Don't hold back next time.
Haliburton = Bush
Rev Wright = Obama
post #288 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no business being here on this thread, but this week I was asked to make a banner for the Hillary campaign. I made it because I needed the money. But the real reason is because, I really want to build a 4 story trailer trash mansion like yoseys. Hey guys, I'm just trying to break the political tension.
post #289 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clk man View Post
I have no business being here on this thread, but this week I was asked to make a banner for the Hillary campaign. I made it because I needed the money. But the real reason is because, I really want to build a 4 story trailer trash mansion like yoseys. Hey guys, I'm just trying to break the political tension.
Can you show us the banner? Can you still edit that thing? I got some ideas
post #290 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
I see my message of healing has not worked. Perhaps, for us old farts (used tongue in cheek, not in an age discriminatory manner), this will be the one that gives us pause and makes us think:

BWOT last ditch healing effort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in